Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just downloaded a bunch of music from my PC to a 2 GB memory stick. I pluged it into the port that is in the console of my 2017 Chieftain Elite, but cannot get it to work. It works with my I-phone, either pluged in or bluetooth. What might I maybe doing wrong? Thanks, Frank

·
Rider
943 Posts
what format are the files in AAC, MP3 or something else? Also, I have seen some flash drives are not recognized by the bike. If the files are MP3 move a few to your Indian flash drive and see if they work from there.

·
Premium Member
1,885 Posts
I bought a bunch from Amazon. There are probably cheaper places.

·
Bronze member
4,119 Posts
MP3 is not the only music file format that ride command will read. All mine are MP4 which is Apple.

Here is where the issue is. FAT32 is a Windows file system that was discontinued when Windows 7 came out but was and still is widely implemented in consumer electronics. Windows now uses ExFat which what most USB drives are formatted to. The Ride Command will only read FAT32 formatted drives. The problem is that Windows 7 and Windows 10 doesn't give you the option for format the drives to fat32. You have to download a free app to be able to do this. Which is easy to do, but many people have zero idea about this.

My 2017 truck Infotainment system also needs FAT 32, so I also had to format all my drives to this as well.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
... The Ride Command will only read FAT32 formatted drives. The problem is that Windows 7 and Windows 10 doesn't give you the option for format the drives to fat32. You have to download a free app to be able to do this. Which is easy to do, but many people have zero idea about this.

My 2017 truck Infotainment system also needs FAT 32, so I also had to format all my drives to this as well.
I'm using NTFS and it reads it just fine. There seems to be a max size of 64gb and if you exceed that, it overloads the system (e.g. loading indexing the files while using the gps).

·
Bronze member
2,702 Posts
Hey, just got here.. Did you mean to say "Memory Stinks" , cause man, mine too.. Don't know if it "Sticks" or not..

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm using NTFS and it reads it just fine. There seems to be a max size of 64gb and if you exceed that, it overloads the system (e.g. loading indexing the files while using the gps).
I'm using a 128gb card with no problem.
It takes a few seconds to "load files" when you start up but, after that - no problem.
I have around 8000+ songs at my disposal. ?

Reactions: Demolition Man

·
Registered
339 Posts
Amazon Prime Music is a good source for tunes. Spotify and Pandora are a couple of others I use if I can't find it on Amazon.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Even though it says it will read FLAC files, it won't. I had to convert all my FLAC to MP3. NTFS / FAT32 makes no difference - it will read either / or.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts