Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Are you a member...

• Fédération Internationale de Motocyclisme (FIM)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you own a modern Indian, you are probably a member of the IMRG national organization, but after the first free year, you've got to maintain membership with a fee. And there are a couple of "levels" of membership, depending on the benefits that you covet and the size of your wallet

You can't be a member of a local IMRG unless you're also a national member too. I wonder how many national members have found a local chapter and joined up.

The American Motorcyclist Association is the primary organization that keeps us "Yankees" together and looks out for our collective interests with other organizations, racing and all forms of government intrusion. Membership isn't required in the AMA in order to be an IMRG member, but it's a heck of a good idea. Their magazine, which comes with membership, isn't too bad either. And if you're not a Yankee (north OR south in the good ol' US of A!), the FIM is the European equivalent.

Let's see a show of hands... what say you?

·
Bronze member
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So, I'm a life member of the AMA. I've been riding on the street since 1971, having gotten a NY motorcycle license before getting a car license. I've done the Motorcycle Safety Foundation Advanced Rider Course three times and been an assistant instructor (without having acquired the MSF instructor's certificate, hence being only an assistant). I've done the California Suberbike Racing School, advanced class. THAT was a gas! And I've been a motorcycle mechanic for a few decades, having retired from those long hours a couple of years ago. Keeping my AMA membership up to date will always be my first priority (and my NRA membership second).

·
Read Only
244 Posts
I joined the IMRG because I thought it was a good charity!! You send your check in and you get a sticker or small gift back!! Just teasing but still true for most of us !!

·
Rider
878 Posts
The IMRG experience this side of the pond has been a bit erratic, to say the least. To be honest, by now I couldn't care less about it.

It would have been a great marketing opportunity (IMRG discount, possibly) but I don't think Indian care about that here.

Oh, well. The bike's the important thing, and I'm still very happy with mine.

·
Rider
418 Posts
I looked into joining the us military vets mc. In the end I have enough obligations with family and work and I didnt want someone telling me when I had to take vacation. I am a member of the American Legion and one day might join the legion riders. As far as I know they are pretty much a ride with us if you want group

·
Bronze member
1,038 Posts
After the first free year membership expired they gave me another year free. Must be hard up for membership here in Australia.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
got mine in mail soon after i bought my RM. But i'm vice pres of chapter of Defenders LE MC so i get my riding in for sure. An in florida we have 22 chapters 5 local to me so there is always a ride somewhere.

·
Bronze member
5,091 Posts
After the first free year membership expired they gave me another year free. Must be hard up for membership here in Australia.
When I bought my Scout in 2016 the Australian IMRG was going to cost me about $70 - and they could not tell me what I would get out of it. I declined.
Then I got the Springfield DH late last year and it was as if IMRG didn't even exist. I think calling it a Motorcyclist Organisation is going too far.

·
Bronze member
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sunuvagun! I wasn't expecting to see so many dissenters of the IMRG. But your reasons are well stated. Truth to tell, the most OBVIOUS benefit that I see coming from the national group is the occasional gift for being a member and maybe on your birthday. But they DO promote some good discounts on OEM parts and accessories. Typically, you have to get the emails to be aware of those offers. And other benefits vary depending on whether you are a Hendee or Hedstrom level member.
Up until now, I had assumed that there are local chapters everywhere and that was obviously a wrong assumption. I'm a member of the Mineola IMRG and have sat in on the Rt.66 IMRG at Chicago. I think that it's great having local chapters that get together, shoot the breeze, organize events big and small and ride together. That last is the primary reason why I'm a local member. Our local group is already planning quite a number of rides for 2019!
But getting a local IMRG together requires a dealership and core group of riders that have the time and desire to put in the effort to get organized and maintain the enthusiasm needed to be a cohesive group. I suppose that, in areas where the population isn't so dense, that may not be so easy.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I didn't even know there was an IMRG after I bought my Springfield until I got a notice from Indian that I was a member. I am a life member of the AMA and HOG. Since I still have a HD in addition to my Indian I participate in rides with my local HOG chapter. They don't care which bike I ride :)

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Have to be honest on how I feel.
IMRG, HOG, and also AARP, AMRA, AAA, and some others I cannot think of, I never really thought of a good reason to give my money to what are essentially for profit organizations that do little for my riding, driving, or living experience.

My local IMRG, (very nice people, by the way), save for a few rides (rain or shine) every year, and a hot dog/hamburger lunch at my local dealership, I cannot see what they do besides motorcycle fellowship? And that even is limited since we cannot talk when riding, and if I have to stop for a bathroom break when all the rest don't, what am I to do?
HOG was nothing more than a rather large advertisement for me to buy into and get more HD "stuff". Obnoxious at best, arrogant at worst.
AARP is a joke. I get better discounts using my retired military ID than I do with them, and AAA is so far out of date compared to the rest of the world I wonder how they survive. Yes, I have roadside assistance with my insurance, towing, and a cell phone and a lot of us have GPS systems. Why do we even need something like the AAA?
And the last thing I want is for one of these, (like AARP), trying to tell me what insurance/hotel/restaurant to use. No, thank you, I can make that decision on my own.

These organizations might have good intentions, but too often they evolve into profit making organizations that have little oversight, and I often wonder what percentage of their income actually goes back into their original charters.
So my wife and I don't do group rides, (I actually consider them rather dangerous, what with riders of all abilities trying to ride in some kind of formation - scary at best), so we can stop when we want, as much as we want, stop at some little shop that the group might pass on, so we pass on group rides. As long as at least one of our cell phones are working, we can call for any help we might need.

The NRA is a totally different animal. I am only thinking of organizations that cater to vehicle operations.

·
Registered
157 Posts
IMRG and IOA for me. Our local IMRG chapter has monthly rides and lots of good folks in the chapter.
IOA is also lots of good folks and a non profit supporting St Louis Shriner's hospital.

·
Administrator
14,797 Posts
When I first got my RM (2015) there was no mandate to be a member of the National in order to join the local. The local chapter here in Denver (Rocky Mtn) is excellent — lots of good riders, coordinates the Durango Rendezvous every year, well supported by a local dealership.

But when the National mandated that I join them to ride with the local, I balked. Where do they get off telling me what to do? The National has done nothing for me. They’re almost impossible to contact. A bunch of people that have tried to enlist them to solve problems or answer questions have hit dead ends. It’s a remote, unresponsive, bureaucratic machine. I’m not giving them my money, especially at the point of a figurative gun (“Nobody rides local unless you pay us.”) I still occasionally ride with the locals, but I do it “bandit style.” Show up, shake hands and ride — but not as a dues-paying or “official” member. I’ll save my $$ and spend it on my bike.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts