Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife accidentally laid her jacket over the bike at the end of our ride as we were taking the rest our gear off. Suddenly we realized part of her indian mesh jacket melted onto the heat shield. I thought it might be best to let it cool before attempting to remove it. The dried residue appears to have zero intentions of coming off it feels like it has welded with the heat shield. I thought before I start trying to scrape it off I would see if anyone else has had any success with a problem like this. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
This is a common problem. On mine I used a propane torch to heat and remove the worst of it, then it boils down to chrome polishing. Some have used a very fine steel wool.

·
Bronze member
1,129 Posts
Soak a rag in varsol and lay it on the spot overnight (obviously on a cold pipe) work it over with a kitchen sponge scrubber in the morning repeat if needed. WASH AREA Completely clear of residuals twice prior to running engine.

Next take a shovel and a work light and put them in the trunk of your car......lol forgiveness is a gift.

·
Bronze member
1,423 Posts
If it's just a nylon style mesh you should be able to get it off with a heat gun one of those hot air blower guns used for stripping paint
You shouldn't actually need open flame (you risk actually cooking it firmer onto the metal as it chars)

Just soften the plastic and scrape off.
Any leftover dregs should come off with some of that orange solv it stuff

You should be safe with the heat shield it is designed to take heat after all and not a lot will damage the metal/chrome except for scratching

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
i have had a little luck heating up pipes an slowly polishing it off. never actually got it all . the steel wool never worked for me. semi chrome is good but just use a small drop of it.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
I ran mine to heat it back up, then used an old silicone high temp spatula that formed to the pipe to help remove melted rain suit.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all the responses. I will have plenty of options to see about resolving this. If I get it cleaned up I will report back what seemed to have worked the best and before and after pics.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Sorry for the late response ...

You might try using "Goo Gone" ... it has removed all kinds of adhesives and road tar for me, without leaving any discoloration.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
If you use the oven cleaner be sure to cover any paint it might come in contact with.
This plus one...I have some of the black engine paint gone due to not being careful enough when using Easy-Off...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Really Strong wheel cleaner works too. Like Jax Wax Ultimate Wheel Cleaner. Stinks to high heaven but will remove just about anything.
Also put some towels down over your paint to protect it if you do oven cleaner trick.

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Goo gone, tongue depressor or wide popsicle stick.

Hold tte goo gone on tge spot for a few min. Use edge of popsicle sticks to gently scrape it off. May take several attempts.

Also Easy Off oven cleaner and popsicle sticks.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Thanks to all the responses. I will have plenty of options to see about resolving this. If I get it cleaned up I will report back what seemed to have worked the best and before and after pics.
Don't scrape off withe metal ever. 0000 steel wool and chrome polish will work..a knife will scratch chome

·
Living the dream!
267 Posts
I did the 0000 Steel Wool using Protect All spray on cleaner as the "lubricant" and it worked great. No scratches.

·
Belgian rider
457 Posts
So sad to read this again. Hope you can fix it without scratches. Heating it up is the best way to do it. Depending on the material that sticks on the heat shield it will work slowly. I had it twice already and could clean it with a heat gun and a lot of effort and patience. Be glad it was a jacket. Last month I was making my bike ready for my trip to Austria but first I wanted to check my oil level. Asked my love to sit on the bike and hold it straight for me. Warned her several times but in the end.... She burned her leg badly on this heat shield. I will never ask that again, believe me..... Dangerous heat shield needs a modification and I will take it as a Winter project now.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts