Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, what is the size of the stock shield that comes on the Challenger? I am going to guess and say 11” but I can’t get that exact measurement no matter where I measure. If I measure down center of shield it’s closer to 8” +/- if I measure to center mounting screw or to bottom of shield under center mounting screw. If I measure to the mounting screw just to the left or right of center it is closer to 11” +/- Asking because I plan on changing out shield for a little longer shield. Thx all.

·
Bronze member
1,567 Posts
Tail, I think someone posted a response to this in this section of the forum and unfortunately no one makes a TALLER shield.....yet. The aftermarket shields have some side flare to them....but they are all the same height.....at this time. I stand to be corrected.....if I am wrong!!!

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,423 Posts
The stock windshield is 11" according to their site. They make 2 standard taller ones but there's only 1 size flare available right now.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thx Guys. Yea I talked to John at Freedom and he said their measurements are from top of shield down centerline to bottom of shield under center mounting screw. He also said they should have one for the challenger by weeks end or next week.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,423 Posts
Sweet!!! I'm on his list once he gets them ready! Been waiting since march! Stupid COVID.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I’ve also been talking with John at Freedom Shields (since Feb) ...I live close to his shop in Pine, CO.
He is forming a Challenger shield this week; it will be a taller than the standard 11” Indian shield (same as the 8” KlockWerks, cuz KW measures top to center bolt, Indian measures top to lower edge of shield.)

If his 1st run gets done by this Fri, our plan is for me to ride my bike there and check for fitment. Keep ya’ll posted!

Eventually Freedom will offer 3 sizes, with options clear, light gray, med gray & dark gray.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,423 Posts
That is awesome news. I'm hoping when you say gray, you mean a light tint because that's what I'm looking for. Pics would be great when you can get them.

·
Registered
197 Posts
That is awesome news. I'm hoping when you say gray, you mean a light tint because that's what I'm looking for. Pics would be great when you can get them.
Yes, I also want nothing darker than a LIGHT gray tint for seeing thru it, esp at night.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,423 Posts
I'm very excited!!!

·
Registered
197 Posts
(I prob should wait to post this until after tomorrow & the CoSprings Indian dealer event with RidingFish & Indian Rider RADIO (Curtis), cuz I’ll have more pics to share of the new FREEDOM SHIELDS Challenger windshield, but.....)

IMPRESSED!! Freedom Shields in Colorado.
This morning I rode the bike up to the Freedom Shields shop in Pine, CO ...met owners John & Deb, and several of their dozen employees.
First impression: TOP NOTCH American small biz run by sharp dedicated people, taking their time to produce QUALITY windshields for Indian, Victory & HD bikes.
They had their 1st shield ready to try on an Indian Challenger & I offered to assist with fitment tweaking.

OPTICAL CLARITY... zero distortion looking thru the 4-5mm thick shield, even near the top curve. None. (I noticed slight distortion in two other brand windshields I tried.)
WIDER... approx 2” wider than oem shield, still keeping internal fairing clearance when raised up/down. I LIKE THAT.
EDGE POLISH... the edges are polished so smooth & well that they appear black

First shield they made is 15” from top to center mount bolt. It’s tall, designed to compare with Indian’s tallest shield.
They plan to offer 3 sizes, maybe 10”, 12” & 15” (don’t quote me on those) ....and options of Clear, Light Gray, Med & Dark Gray. This first shield was light gray & I love it,, exactly what I want for uncompromised
night vision, with a good daytime look.

Will report more after riding with it tomorrow.
*In these pics you can see my stock 11” shield (8” top to center bolt) compared to Freedom’s 15”. Note the extra width

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
(I prob should wait to post this until after tomorrow & the CoSprings Indian dealer event with RidingFish & Indian Rider RADIO (Curtis), cuz I’ll have more pics to share of the new FREEDOM SHIELDS Challenger windshield, but.....)

IMPRESSED!! Freedom Shields in Colorado.
This morning I rode the bike up to the Freedom Shields shop in Pine, CO ...met owners John & Deb, and several of their dozen employees.
First impression: TOP NOTCH American small biz run by sharp dedicated people, taking their time to produce QUALITY windshields for Indian, Victory & HD bikes.
They had their 1st shield ready to try on an Indian Challenger & I offered to assist with fitment tweaking.

OPTICAL CLARITY... zero distortion looking thru the 4-5mm thick shield, even near the top curve. None. (I noticed slight distortion in two other brand windshields I tried.)
WIDER... approx 2” wider than oem shield, still keeping internal fairing clearance when raised up/down. I LIKE THAT.
EDGE POLISH... the edges are polished so smooth & well that they appear black

First shield they made is 15” from top to center mount bolt. It’s tall, designed to compare with Indian’s tallest shield.
They plan to offer 3 sizes, maybe 10”, 12” & 15” (don’t quote me on those) ....and options of Clear, Light Gray, Med & Dark Gray. This first shield was light gray & I love it,, exactly what I want for uncompromised
night vision, with a good daytime look.

Will report more after riding with it tomorrow.
*In these pics you can see my stock 11” shield (8” top to center bolt) compared to Freedom’s 15”. Note the extra width

Really can’t wait to swap out the stock shield with a freedom 👍 only one pic in your post. Don’t tease lol post more shots of shield mounted when possible. Thx

·
Registered
197 Posts
*I updated my post in the FB group with a few details:

WIDER... approx 2” wider than oem shield, still keeping internal fairing clearance when raised up/down. I LIKE THAT. My opin, the air deflection is better than those small side flares on the KW shield (and looks better... not a fan of the KW look when it’s up.)

EDGE POLISH... the edges are polished so smooth & well that they appear black, creating a cool outline

First shield they made is 15” from top to center bolt. It’s tall, designed to compare with Indian’s tallest shield. I’m 5’10” and with shield full down I’m still looking THRU it approx 3-4” from top. I’ll prob do the 9 or 11”.
They plan to offer 4 sizes for the Challenger, 9”, 11”, 13 & 15” and options of Clear, Light Gray, Med & Dark Gray. This first shield was light gray & exactly what I want for uncompromised night vision, still with a good daytime look.

*In these pics you can see my stock 8” Indian shield compared to Freedom’s 15”.
(both measured top to center mount bolt)
Note the extra width

I added more pics just to show the flow of curves ...really smooth.
*riding it today, compared to oem: better air bubble, no head buffet. Clearer audio from fairing speakers. And... at 110mph, NO shake/vibration. Rock solid. (and this is the tall 15”!) Anxious to see the 9” & 11” version.

It’s NOT on the site yet... this shield is 1st try to confirm fitment.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Excellent GMan1 that shield looks great. To tall for me. I will probably go with the 9 or 11, in medium tint, also. Now please tell John to get busy and get those shields made LOL.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,423 Posts
Does he ever do color fades? I'm a fan of clear where I might look through down to black at the bottom.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Freedom Shields site is now offering Challenger shields...
4 sizes & tint options.

Really impressive small biz, great people. Every shield is slowly hand-pressed onto the forms, rather than with a faster vacuum process; owner John believes this helps to keep the optical clarity and avoid distortion.

What I really liked & noticed riding it, was the wider envelope of air around me from the shield being 2” wider than stock.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts