Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to find out how many people have sent their motorcycle seat sent into Mean City Cycles to have it reworked and have it come out the way they need it for long distance riding? I just bought a new Chieftain Classic Icon and I really love the look of the stock seat but after about 30-40 minutes I’m in pain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
313 Posts
I did last year, it helped..BUT....it did not help much I ended up getting a Ultimate which helped A TON....
I originally did the mean city cycles with the tail bone cut out.....in my case it actually made that section of the seat worse. For the money I spent it would have been better spent just putting it towards the ultimate.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I did last year, it helped..BUT....it did not help much I ended up getting a Ultimate which helped A TON....
I originally did the mean city cycles with the tail bone cut out.....in my case it actually made that section of the seat worse. For the money I spent it would have been better spent just putting it towards the ultimate.
That is what I heard from other people as well. Just wanted to confirm.

If anyone has a success story they want to share having Mean City Cycles redo their stock seat please let me know. I’m especially interested in their Iron Butt modification.

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,912 Posts
That is what I heard from other people as well. Just wanted to confirm.

A lot of your comfort depends on your height and riding position. I’m 6’3”, 210 lbs. The stock seat had me too far forward. Mean City rebuilt my seat twice and made it better each time, but they could change the position due to the seat pan shape.
The Ultimate Tall Boy set me back about 1” and made riding much more comfortable.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
A lot of your comfort depends on your height and riding position. I’m 6’3”, 210 lbs. The stock seat had me too far forward. Mean City rebuilt my seat twice and made it better each time, but they could change the position due to the seat pan shape.
The Ultimate Tall Boy set me back about 1” and made riding much more comfortable.
Thanks for letting me know. For me the riding position is OK it’s just that most of the load while I’m sitting on the seat is right down the center causing pain. I need it distributed more over the whole area. I have a Corbin Duel Tour seat from my other bike but I color matched it to match my other bike and it doesn’t go with the colors on this bike. I really love the look of the stock seat on the Chieftain Classic Icon. I believe I can get the Corbin recovered to match the bike but the look of the classic seat really compliments the looks of the bike.

Also, that 16 inch front tire gives a ride 20 times better than the low profile front tire.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hey G-Set! Love this color combination on your new Classic. Did you get rid of the Limited, or just add another Chieftain to the garage?

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey G-Set! Love this color combination on your new Classic. Did you get rid of the Limited, or just add another Chieftain to the garage?
Sadly, I had to turn it in. I worked with CraigB1960 and he tirelessly came up with 18 different tunes for me but the engine vibration could not be fixed.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I had my stock seat reworked by Mean City about a year ago... i opted for the two layer memory foam replacement and I believe the iron butt is three... If you’re seated position is good and you want the stock look you’ll be happy... If you need to be moved back any, you won’t.... If you ask me if I’d do it again I would say yes but it failed to meet my overall expectations.... or my expectations were unrealistic..... Give it about 1000 miles of seat time for proper break-in... -JR

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I had my stock seat reworked by Mean City about a year ago... i opted for the two layer memory foam replacement and I believe the iron butt is three... If you’re seated position is good and you want the stock look you’ll be happy... If you need to be moved back any, you won’t.... If you ask me if I’d do it again I would say yes but it failed to meet my overall expectations.... or my expectations were unrealistic..... Give it about 1000 miles of seat time for proper break-in... -JR
I asked them about their iron butt modification but they still wanted to sell me the double Decker memory foam instead.

Interesting, i’d really like to know what you mean by it failed to meet your overall expectations. I tend to have higher expectations myself.

I just reread your email and I see that you already explained what you meant by it failed to meet your expectations.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have a new Mustang seat for sale. It’s a nice looker and I was disappointed that my but didn’t after 3 plus hours. It’s about the best looking aftermarket seat I have seen on a new Chieftain.

I bought a new Corbin and it hurts my butt as well.... maybe it’s me .

Here’s my post on the Mustang seat.

Reactions: Gearset807

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a new Mustang seat for sale. It’s a nice looker and I was disappointed that my but didn’t after 3 plus hours. It’s about the best looking aftermarket seat I have seen on a new Chieftain.

I bought a new Corbin and it hurts my butt as well.... maybe it’s me .

Here’s my post on the Mustang seat.

I appreciate the offer but as you can see by the color of my bike I need something in tan.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’ve decided to try MeanCityCycles and see what they can do for me. If it doesn’t work out and it doesn’t increase my ride time significantly I’ll then send it to Astec.

If neither of those work out then I will just recover my Corbin seat to match the bike and call it good.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does anyone have any contact information if you want details concerning the mods for MeanCityCycles? I’ve been communicating with a person named Amanda but she only answers in generalized ways. When I asked her who I could talk to for more detailed answers she instructed me to talk to her. But so far she hasn’t turned out to be someone that will elaborate on any of her answers.

·
Bronze member
2,378 Posts
I’ve decided to try MeanCityCycles and see what they can do for me. If it doesn’t work out and it doesn’t increase my ride time significantly I’ll then send it to Astec.

If neither of those work out then I will just recover my Corbin seat to match the bike and call it good.

I would go straight to recovering your Corbin. I have been disappointed twice in MC ability to modify my Indian seats, unlike my experience with them on my HD's. They don't seem to be able to work with the Indian stock pans very well. Save your money, do the Corbin. You are already familiar with them and you can customize the looks as you know. FWIW

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I would go straight to recovering your Corbin. I have been disappointed twice in MC ability to modify my Indian seats, unlike my experience with them on my HD's. They don't seem to be able to work with the Indian stock pans very well. Save your money, do the Corbin. You are already familiar with them and you can customize the looks as you know. FWIW
What modifications did you have MC do to your seat, and what model/year Indian did you try their mods on?

·
Bronze member
2,378 Posts
Chieftain and Springfield. Double Decker for me and passenger. Wife was happy; I was not. I've always used Corbin in the past, and thought I would try to save money. I'm not a big guy, 180 dressed. MCC just seems to be challenged working with Indian pans.

·
Registered
8 Posts
ihad mean city do a seat for me and i have had astecseats do 2 been very happy with astec the mean city seat idk had them rework a sundowner seat and astec reworked a stock street glide seat and the street glide seat was amazing. havent had my indian seat reworked bought an ultimate. best money i ever spent was on the ultimate

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ihad mean city do a seat for me and i have had astecseats do 2 been very happy with astec the mean city seat idk had them rework a sundowner seat and astec reworked a stock street glide seat and the street glide seat was amazing. havent had my indian seat reworked bought an ultimate. best money i ever spent was on the ultimate
I tried Ultimate but sent it back because it didn’t work for me. I really like the looks of the stock seat on the Chieftain Classic Icon series so I’m hoping to rework the stock seat to make it work.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Chieftain and Springfield. Double Decker for me and passenger. Wife was happy; I was not. I've always used Corbin in the past, and thought I would try to save money. I'm not a big guy, 180 dressed. MCC just seems to be challenged working with Indian pans.
I had Corbin send me some color samples but none matched the tan used on the stock Indian seat. I bought my first Corbin seat last year and liked the comfort but the stock seat looks so nice I was hoping Mean City or Astech could pull it off.

If Mean City doesn’t work maybe I can ask for more color samples to see if they might have a color that matches the Indian tan.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts