Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have anybody ever used them? Which one did you choose? Did it improve the ride? I'm 6'4, so worried about ordering Iron Butt due to elevating the seat up. Mean City or Russell Cycle Products?

Would appreciate, any feedback on those seats.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
I have two, one Iron Butt and the other Double Decker both by Mean City. Both were moderate improvements for me. Neither completely resolved pain in the saddle but definitely better than stock. I think my tolerance went from 100miles to about 200. Every rider will have a slightly different experience though. Mean City is good at what they do and run a tight ship.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have two, one Iron Butt and the other Double Decker both by Mean City. Both were moderate improvements for me. Neither completely resolved pain in the saddle but definitely better than stock. I think my tolerance went from 100miles to about 200. Every rider will have a slightly different experience though. Mean City is good at what they do and run a tight ship.
Yeah, stock is just fairly hard. After 100 miles a day, my ass in numb. I love the way it looks, plus the others are a bit on the pricier side. Did you end up going some different way or still use semi-stocks?

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Yeah, stock is just fairly hard. After 100 miles a day, my ass in numb. I love the way it looks, plus the others are a bit on the pricier side. Did you end up going some different way or still use semi-stocks?
I usually use one of the Mean City seats with an added gel pad on top... My old butt is not as tough as it once was.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Have anybody ever used them? Which one did you choose? Did it improve the ride? I'm 6'4, so worried about ordering Iron Butt due to elevating the seat up. Mean City or Russell Cycle Products?
Would appreciate, any feedback on those seats.
Five pages of results but it's worth the read before you spend money.

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
Recently read somewhere that some of the discomfort comes from the thickness of the seat leather itself. Makes sense if you think about it. Little give in the leather would mean less help can be provided by changing foam. That said, I'm 6' 4" 235 and am very happy with Mean Cities rework. Personally went with the memory foam upgrade, also requested what, if anything, could be done for prostate relief. While at it, I sent the drivers backrest in for re-foaming. Glad I did. If you're sending in the passengers seat be sure and have them do the tailbone channel alteration. jm2c

Good luck whatever you decide.

Reactions: Rook

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Recently read somewhere that some of the discomfort comes from the thickness of the seat leather itself.
That plus having the 'T' juncture of heavy duty seams right where the tailbone is. The seat designer is a masochist.

Reactions: CaptFlood

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,688 Posts
I’m 6’3” with a 34” inseam and Mean City could not make me comfortable. I would go from fire to numbness in the groin area on long rides. After one 7 hour ride, my boys were numb for two days. That scared me. I needed to move back and the stock seat pan prevents any modification that will allow the driver to move back.
I tried two Mean City mods, a Mustang, a RM, and a few pads.
I went with an Ultimate Tall Boy and it solved my problems. Save yourself some time, money and numb nethers and get the Ultimate.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’m 6’3” with a 34” inseam and Mean City could not make me comfortable. I would go from fire to numbness in the groin area on long rides. After one 7 hour ride, my boys were numb for two days. That scared me. I needed to move back and the stock seat pan prevents any modification that will allow the driver to move back.
I tried two Mean City mods, a Mustang, a RM, and a few pads.
I went with an Ultimate Tall Boy and it solved my problems. Save yourself some time, money and numb nethers and get the Ultimate.
I looked over Mean City website and there is no ultimate or tall boy. There is Supreme and Iron Butt.

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,688 Posts
I looked over Mean City website and there is no ultimate or tall boy. There is Supreme and Iron Butt.
I’ve been using my Ultimate for about 3-4 years. A few weeks ago, the backrest mount inside the seat broke. A call to Ultimate inquiring about getting it repaired really surprised me.
Shipping to and from Daytona for the fix - FREE (Ultimate emailed a shipping label)
Repair - FREE
I mailed off my seat on Friday morning and it was return on Thursday afternoon.
Ultimate Seats will always have my business.
Ultimate Motorcycle Seats

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I used them and can tell you their customer service is great. They give you. Date tell them what you want ask questions they answer all.and done on time

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I’ve been using my Ultimate for about 3-4 years. A few weeks ago, the backrest mount inside the seat broke. A call to Ultimate inquiring about getting it repaired really surprised me.
Shipping to and from Daytona for the fix - FREE (Ultimate emailed a shipping label)
Repair - FREE
I mailed off my seat on Friday morning and it was return on Thursday afternoon.
Ultimate Seats will always have my business.
Ultimate Motorcycle Seats
Got it, looks like they do only Roadmaster and Chief. No Scout. :(

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I used them and can tell you their customer service is great. They give you. Date tell them what you want ask questions they answer all.and done on time
Which sit did you get and how did it improve your right comfort, time on the bike/miles?

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Which sit did you get and how did it improve your right comfort, time on the bike/miles?
Well that's the problem I didn't ride it much because unbeknownst to me I traded it in on my Indian. On my venture stick seat broke down it wasn't bad before then one year my long trips killed me so mc gave me a spine release in back and gell insert but I never had the bike long enough to rate it. The few hundred miles I rode it were fine. I was just so impressed with there system they knew their shi...and answer all questions and stuck to timetable

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I used them on a Scout 60 I used to have, went with their double decker, after I got it back I was able to ride 400-500 miles in one day with no tailbone burn. Great folks to deal with and it was only $175.00 for the work performed on the seat. Looked stock when they were done, not overstuffed.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I used them on a Scout 60 I used to have, went with their double decker, after I got it back I was able to ride 400-500 miles in one day with no tailbone burn. Great folks to deal with and it was only $175.00 for the work performed on the seat. Looked stock when they were done, not overstuffed.
Spot-on assessment.

Reactions: Rook

·
Read Only
16 Posts
I just spoke with Mean City and they only do the double decker modification (with no adjustments) for the Scout now and it runs $210 before shipping. So, at that price with shipping I’m starting to wonder if the Mustang seat would be better since it is wider than the stock seat and will obviously be more comfortable. Although I am not large by any stretch of the imagination I found that stock seat to cause issues like a small bicycle seat would after multiple days of riding. Can anyone who has the double decker speak to the size as well as the comfort? Thanks for any info.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts