Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beautiful day on fathers day so I went for a ride. I was headed home at around 6:00pm going 60mph around a curve when the deer stepped out of the thickets. I had ten foot to react. I had gone over in my head what I would do if a car crossed the centerline and was coming towards me. I decided that my best chance for survival would be to launch myself off the floorboards and hopefully go over the car. I didn't have much time, like I said I had all of ten foot so I did exactly as I had gone over in my head.

Next thing I knew I was laying on the pavement opened my eyes and there was a man standing over me. It was guy in the truck behind me. He told me I had flown 150 foot and to just lay there and that he had called an ambulance. He then asked me if I wanted him to call someone else. I reached in my jacket pocket, pulled out my phone, told him the code and said Sue ( thats my wifes name ). He kept talking to me the whole time telling me to keep my eye's open.

The next thing I heard was the helicopter I was being loaded up on and the guy telling me the same thing, to keep my eye's open.

I woke up four days later with my hands tied down and on a ventilator wondering wtf. A nurse came in some time later and said " Oh you're back with us ". She said she would untied my hands but I couldn't try to pull the tubes out of my mouth. I shook my head yes so she untied me. A while after that she came back in and told me she was going to pull the tubes out so that I could breath on my own. She told me to act like I was throwing up while she pulled and out came the tubes.

I ended up with nine ribs out of twelve on my left side shattered which in turn scored my lung causing it collapse. They had to put three plates in to hold everything together. I also ended up with my left clavicle snapped in half.

The deer died instantly. I don't know if being able to partially launch off my bike saved me but I'm sure the sudden stop of hitting the deer wouldn't have been good either.

The bike was a total loss.

I learned three good lessons because of this situation.

1: If I wouldn't have been wearing a full faced helmet I would be missing much of my face right now. My next helmet will be the same.

2: Just because it's a nice day it is no reason to not be wearing leather gloves. I'll also be getting a set of chaps too.

3: Most health insurance policies do not cover a helicopter ride. My work place health insurance is one of those that did not as like most others. My wife in all her wisdom decided three years ago to pay $69 a year for a policy that would cover both of us should a helicopter ever be needed. The cost of the helicopter was $41,387. We would have had to take a mortgage out on our house just to pay for the helicopter had she not gotten the policy.

The best advice I can give any of you is to get the helicopter policy. $69 a year covers you, your spouse and any children you can still claim on your taxes as a dependent.

I'm already picking out my next bike even though I won't be riding till next year. :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
My greatest fear on the road. We have a lot of elk around, too. Glad to see you made it, brother!

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,054 Posts
Basically this is what keeps me from riding in the evenings and at night. I did however have a close encounter with a doe in the late afternoon several weeks back. Fortunately I saw her well in advance and slowed way down before she trotted off the road and lay down in some nearby meadow grass and watched me ride by her.

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Wow. Glad you survived and can heal up to ride next season. Hope you are doing well in rehab. Thanks for your insight into your experience.
Good gear is a good thing to reduce the impact. I have a hitair jacket as well as a full face helmet. On trips we see antelope, deer, Moose, dogs, snakes, etc. Louder pipes help too in my experience with Elk.
Recover well.

·
Vendor / bronze
3,024 Posts
Amazing story. I have always thought jumping up would be a good plan also if a car or deer came. Hard to know for sure. The deer impact probably would have launched you anyway. But tore up your legs and hips in the process. So I think your reaction was good. Sorry it will take so long to recover. Never thought about helicopter insurance. Good advice.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Glad you pulled through, bro. That's cheating death big-time - no one is supposed to make it through that and YOU DID. Congrats, of sorts. :)

·
Registered
756 Posts
Wow, glad you made it. Thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery. I'm definitely going to look into helicopter insurance.

Phil

·
Registered
609 Posts
Thanks for sharing your story, the outcome, what you learned, and the helicopter insurance advice. It's good advice whether you ride or not. Good to hear you survived. Scary to hear you were out of consciousness that long.

Are they letting you keep the 3 metal plates? Probably six of one, half-dozen of the other as to whether you were better off with partial launch or not in that situation. State patrol and paramedics have both told me that in a motorcycle accident, avoiding a collision results in less life threatening injuries in most cases, so maybe it kept you alive.

Dawn/Dusk/Night: I avoid routes that take me through heavier wild life areas if at all possible.

·
Rider
879 Posts
Won't do it with Elk, Moose, nor Bear... but Deer??? I whack er WFO and Blow thru.. me and the Bitter half have killed 3 so far... 2 with the same Harley!!! Been about 5 years 2 years since last one!!
Get them heavy ass Gyros Workin for ya!!!!

·
Rider
1,539 Posts
[email protected], what a story ! ! ! Glad that you're on the mend. Forty-five years ago a woman turned left in front of me. I did the same thing as you, although I cannot state that it was premeditated. If my left foot had been about 4" higher, I would have walked away from it. As it ended, my foot slammed into her right fender. I broke all the metatarsals and shattered the ball of my left foot.

I will be looking into that air lift insurance, hopefully there is something similar in the Southeast.

BD

·
Registered
32 Posts
Glad to hear you're safe and on the mend. Sorry to hear, but glad you're here to tell the story. I'm also glad to hear that you have a new ride waiting for you.

·
Registered
2012 Indian Chief Vintage . 2016 Indian Roadmaster
1,029 Posts
When at my home in the Blue Ridge of NC I watch for the deer, they are everywhere, up here in Maine the deer have friends which my buddy over in New Brunswick calls "swamp donkeys" or moose. Either are not as dangerous as humans IMHO. I am glad you are alive, and going to recover from something that like has been stated you should not have. Sounds like you were lucky that guy in the truck happened upon you. Might've turned out differently, either way you are as lucky as a dog with two penile glands, or you have lived a good life, helped others and the general director of the university smiled upon you that day. Show us photo's of the new ride when you get it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Beautiful day on fathers day so I went for a ride. I was headed home at around 6:00pm going 60mph around a curve when the deer stepped out of the thickets. I had ten foot to react. I had gone over in my head what I would do if a car crossed the centerline and was coming towards me. I decided that my best chance for survival would be to launch myself off the floorboards and hopefully go over the car. I didn't have much time, like I said I had all of ten foot so I did exactly as I had gone over in my head.

Next thing I knew I was laying on the pavement opened my eyes and there was a man standing over me. It was guy in the truck behind me. He told me I had flown 150 foot and to just lay there and that he had called an ambulance. He then asked me if I wanted him to call someone else. I reached in my jacket pocket, pulled out my phone, told him the code and said Sue ( thats my wifes name ). He kept talking to me the whole time telling me to keep my eye's open.

The next thing I heard was the helicopter I was being loaded up on and the guy telling me the same thing, to keep my eye's open.

I woke up four days later with my hands tied down and on a ventilator wondering wtf. A nurse came in some time later and said " Oh you're back with us ". She said she would untied my hands but I couldn't try to pull the tubes out of my mouth. I shook my head yes so she untied me. A while after that she came back in and told me she was going to pull the tubes out so that I could breath on my own. She told me to act like I was throwing up while she pulled and out came the tubes.

I ended up with nine ribs out of twelve on my left side shattered which in turn scored my lung causing it collapse. They had to put three plates in to hold everything together. I also ended up with my left clavicle snapped in half.

The deer died instantly. I don't know if being able to partially launch off my bike saved me but I'm sure the sudden stop of hitting the deer wouldn't have been good either.

The bike was a total loss.

I learned three good lessons because of this situation.

1: If I wouldn't have been wearing a full faced helmet I would be missing much of my face right now. My next helmet will be the same.

2: Just because it's a nice day it is no reason to not be wearing leather gloves. I'll also be getting a set of chaps too.

3: Most health insurance policies do not cover a helicopter ride. My work place health insurance is one of those that did not as like most others. My wife in all her wisdom decided three years ago to pay $69 a year for a policy that would cover both of us should a helicopter ever be needed. The cost of the helicopter was $41,387. We would have had to take a mortgage out on our house just to pay for the helicopter had she not gotten the policy.

The best advice I can give any of you is to get the helicopter policy. $69 a year covers you, your spouse and any children you can still claim on your taxes as a dependent.

I'm already picking out my next bike even though I won't be riding till next year. :)

View attachment 601694 View attachment 601695 View attachment 601696
Hello
I
,m glad to see that you are safe,and hopefully you can ride again next season.
I have been to the USA a few times,and also to Australia on my bike,and never drove at night,sunrise,or sunset.
A few years ago I was going from Belguim to France,and just past Gent,on the E17 motorway I saw to my right,
in a corn field, a deer stick his head out of the field,and i thought: SH..., stay there..
I only saw this maybe for 2 seconds,but it feared the hell out of me.
I am riding motorcycles for 40 years now, and I have done over 500.000 miles,but it still makes me feared,to see animals
on the side of the road.
I saw a lot of dead kangaroo,s in Australia,mostly hit at night by truckdrivers,because wen it,s get cold at night,the come to lay
on the bitumen,because it,s warmer.
So long.
Greetings from Belgium.(The country,not the village in Wisconsin)
Chris.

·
Rider
1,299 Posts
Glad you are going to be all right ( hope everything heals up OK ). Clavicle ,Ribs and road rash 🥴
Best wishes for a speed recovery 🤠. Thanks for sharing your story and advice !

1 - 20 of 78 Posts