Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!
I just picked up this awesome little MT-100, and I'm going to re-build it... better... stronger... faster... oh, and lighter! I definitely don't want to change the look. I'm keeping the original patina, it's so great. I'll be adding aluminum where I can get away with it... rims, handle bars, brake stay, etc...
I need parts, so offer up if you're holding! Any suggestions are completely welcome. I'm in Lone Pine California, and I'm building this little beast to show off, and more importantly to get me up into some squirley little trails on my relic hunting adventures.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I found time today to pull off the fenders and tank and polish/seal the paint. I absolutely love the crusty ol' patina. It's gonna look so cool against the shiny re-built chassis.

IMG_9403.JPG IMG_4927.JPG IMG_3770.JPG IMG_2038.JPG

·
Registered
255 Posts
Let's see, you're going to make it

Better - sweet!
Stronger - like a bull!
Faster - yeah buddy!
Lighter. Wait, lighter? How on God's green goodness are you going to make that thing lighter? Look at it; it's got a green loaf of italian bread for a tank, a piece of rubber shop mat for a seat, and a frame made of linguini coated with JB Weld - how much lighter can it get?

Seriously though, that's one awesome piece of motorcycle history. Looks 100% complete, too. Congratulations; keep us posted!

Reactions: Under California

·
Registered
99 Posts
Congrats on your find...I have 3 ME-100S. The M.T. model would not have come with a light package.
Back when these bikes were new Indian advertised them as being the lightest weight in their class.
You don't say exactly what you are looking for / or need.....But, be sure to check out indiandirtbikeparts.com and of course eBay will always have stuff.
The base model was 8 hp...there was a dealer ad-on package for them that bumped them up to 10 hp.
Even though the engine is fuji (same mfgr that Hodaka used)... parts do not interchange...different design.
I ride mine regularly....they are a blast as long as you don't expect too much out of it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Let's see, you're going to make it

Better - sweet!
Stronger - like a bull!
Faster - yeah buddy!
Lighter. Wait, lighter? How on God's green goodness are you going to make that thing lighter? Look at it; it's got a green loaf of italian bread for a tank, a piece of rubber shop mat for a seat, and a frame made of linguini coated with JB Weld - how much lighter can it get?

Seriously though, that's one awesome piece of motorcycle history. Looks 100% complete, too. Congratulations; keep us posted!
I think some Akront rims, polished alum handle bars, alum rear brake stay, and a regular size tail light should shed a fair bit of weight. 😬😬

Thanks for the welcome! I’ll definitely start a build thread

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Congrats on your find...I have 3 ME-100S. The M.T. model would not have come with a light package.
Back when these bikes were new Indian advertised them as being the lightest weight in their class.
You don't say exactly what you are looking for / or need.....But, be sure to check out indiandirtbikeparts.com and of course eBay will always have stuff.
The base model was 8 hp...there was a dealer ad-on package for them that bumped them up to 10 hp.
Even though the engine is fuji (same mfgr that Hodaka used)... parts do not interchange...different design.
I ride mine regularly....they are a blast as long as you don't expect too much out of it.
Wow, thanks for all the info!! So are you saying I probably have an ME?
im still putting together a list of immediate parts needed. I’ll try and restore what I can, but anything chrome will have to be replaced. Also, my engine is seized for sure. Probably just the top end, but I’ll see in a few days.
I really dig the Mx seat shape, I’m hoping to find one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts