Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm curious if anyone has done spot repairs on the Darkhorse paint. I just got back from a 3200 mile trip and noticed my luggage must have rubbed up against fender in a spot, and it seems to have worn the matte clear coat off in two spots. is there a spray matte touch up that would make it look, not perfect, but less noticeable? Maybe a 1inch by 2 inch shiny spot now. No dmg to black paint underneath.

·
Bronze member
2,574 Posts
When I bought my Challenger DH I researched matte paint. Unfortunately, it can’t be repaired. You’ll have to get the piece repainted or live with it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its a riding bike, not a show bike, guess ill live with it. love the look of the matte, and get compliments all the time, but its a bear if you mess it up. note to self, when travelling with a lot of luggage, take care for possible rub spots

·
Registered
110 Posts
Your local auto paint shop supplier should be able to mix you an aerosol of clear lacquer with matting agent in it. Greater quantities of agent give progressively greater matte effect. It may not be perfect but it would beat shiny.

Edit: In the past I've produced a slightly textured finish using an aerosol by holding it at a distance and blipping the nozzle so in kinda spatters. Wait until each spatter flashes off and add some more. If you use a standard cellulose spray can you could just wipe it off if it didn't work. Don't linger too long with the solvent on the original paint!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm new to Indian bikes (riding my new bike for about 3 weeks now) and to this forum so forgive if I'm wrong on this. (And I have the titanium smoke finish on my bike.) But I did some research and Indian has all of their paint colors available in big variety of sizes for anything from a super small touch-up to repainting a body part. But you have to locate the exact paint number. They have an article in the support section of the Indian site that tells how to find the correct number. So, BikesandGuitars, you might be able to get a small spray can of the correct paint and respray that section yourself, if you want to try it, that is. BTW, I like your name. I'm a long-time guitarist myself. In my first band when I was 13 and I'm 68 now and still playing weekly out in public. Got several instruments (electrics, acoustics, bass) and amp setups and pedalboards. Hope this info helps.

·
Senior member / gold
6,951 Posts
Go to your local sign shop, and see if they have a roll of matte/flat black vinyl in their scrap heap, or cut a small piece from their roll. They will give it to you, or charge you very little for it. It's not a perfect solution, but it's an easy solution. You don't own a show bike.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts