Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you got your 'Master' PIN for your bike?? My sales person gave me the rider PIN and didn't seem to know anything about the 'Master' PIN. I have to give the dealer's service dept. a call and see if they can give me the 'Master' PIN, but I'm afraid they won't know either. :( If you have it, how did you get yours ???

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Are you sure your "Rider PIN" is not the master PIN? The dealer would have had to put in a rider PIN I think.

I didn't get any PIN when I picked up the bike, I had to ask for it at the 500mi service. They hooked it up to a computer (Digital Wrench) and gave it to me then.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you sure your "Rider PIN" is not the master PIN? The dealer would have had to put in a rider PIN I think.

I didn't get any PIN when I picked up the bike, I had to ask for it at the 500mi service. They hooked it up to a computer (Digital Wrench) and gave it to me then.
The 'Rider' PIN is a 'changeable' pin whereas the 'Master' pin is not changeable.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
How many of you got your 'Master' PIN for your bike?? My sales person gave me the rider PIN and didn't seem to know anything about the 'Master' PIN. I have to give the dealer's service dept. a call and see if they can give me the 'Master' PIN, but I'm afraid they won't know either. :( If you have it, how did you get yours ???

Whats what they do

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Whats what they do
Not my dealer, I didn't get squat for a PIN until I asked and as far as I know there was no rider PIN. I suppose they could have put a rider PIN in and not tell me, but how would I know?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Mark Moses gave me mine on a small form that I kept in my wallet until I was sure I had it memorized. Not sure if it is the master or the rider pin.......

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,682 Posts
My dealer only gave me one pin. I changed it when I got home an recorded it in my owners manual along with everything else that is listed in front of the manual. Dean E.

·
Super Moderator
4,909 Posts
Same here, Lone Star Indian wrote my pin on the inside of my owners manual.

There wasn't any discussion about a rider pin and a master pin??

·
2,354 Posts
Mark Moses gave me mine on a small form that I kept in my wallet until I was sure I had it memorized. Not sure if it is the master or the rider pin.......
Same here. I just put the master PIN into a note on my phone, then put that slip with the master pin into the baggie with all the paperwork and haven't looked at it since.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Mine was written on the prep check list, which was given to me. There was a spot specifically for it. I'm away on business until tomorrow but I seem to think there may have been two PINs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Master Pin is a dealer pin only. Can only be found through digital wrench, which is Indians diagnostic network. The customers pin is the only pin a salesperson can give to a consumer. The Master pin can only be used through digital wrench, which only an authorized dealer has access to for service purposes.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Master Pin is a dealer pin only. Can only be found through digital wrench, which is Indians diagnostic network. The customers pin is the only pin a salesperson can give to a consumer. The Master pin can only be used through digital wrench, which only an authorized dealer has access to for service purposes.
My understanding was that the Master PIN could be used to re-set a forgotten rider pin or in cases where the fob won't work and the user doesn't know the rider pin for some reason. If the authorized dealer can only get to it through digital wrench then it defeats the above situation where the user can't start the bike to bring it in to look up on digital wrench. Now you have a situation where the bike would have to be towed into the dealer. Which could be avoided by simply letting the owner have the master pin. Since it can't be changed like the rider pin there is no harm to the owner having that pin. IMHO all owners should be given their master pin.

·
3,682 Posts
My understanding was that the Master PIN could be used to re-set a forgotten rider pin or in cases where the fob won't work and the user doesn't know the rider pin for some reason. If the authorized dealer can only get to it through digital wrench then it defeats the above situation where the user can't start the bike to bring it in to look up on digital wrench. Now you have a situation where the bike would have to be towed into the dealer. Which could be avoided by simply letting the owner have the master pin. Since it can't be changed like the rider pin there is no harm to the owner having that pin. IMHO all owners should be given their master pin.
If your person pin does not work there would likely be something wrong with the bike so I doubt the master would help then. If you can't remember your personal pin I doubt you could remember the master then. I changed the personal pin to something that is very simple for me to remember. In an emergency I could give someone my personal pin then change it later on. It doubt it would be a simple thing to have the master changed. Honestly, I don't need it or want it. My personal pin works for me as a back up. Dean E

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
I devote a large part of my day to worry.
It's so bad that if I find an idle moment, I worry about what it is I'm forgetting to worry about.

Think about this for a minute....or you can do like me, worry about this for a minute...
They gave me one PIN, the owners PIN.
Then something happens, like the dog ate it....so ya whip out your "fall back PIN"...the "Master PIN"....only.....uh....it ain't where ya thought it was.

Now ya ain't got one PIN to worry about...ya got two PINs to worry about
I mean, if I can't keep up with one PIN.....

I propose that Indian Motorcycle open a 24-7 Emergency Call Center in India. When you lose your PIN number they can send a "Hot Shot" signal, via satellite link, to the ECM ignition module to fire it off for ya....think space age jumper cables here.

See, then all you would have to keep up with would be the toll free Emergency Call Center phone number.

You can tell by now that I got my fingernails chewed down to raw meat with the worry I put into this one, right?

·
Registered
2 Posts
The consumer is given a consumer pin at the time of purchase, in which the consumer can change at anytime, as many times as they please. The master pin is a dealer pin only. Specifically for security reasons. If the master pin was given out, then anyone out and about on the streets that seen an Indian sitting somewhere could plug in the master pin and take off. Then the owner is out of a motorcycle. That is the reason why the master pin is not given out to consumers. At the time of purchase, every consumer should be instructed to write their consumer pin down, or even save it in their phone as a contact. If the issue arises where the code is forgotten, and the fob is not working, I'm pretty sure consumers wouldn't mind having their motorcycles towed to an authorized dealer to have their codes reset, over walking out the door one day and noticing that their motorcycles walked off.

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Right after I wrote that post I got to worrying about where my FOB is.....uh

·
2,354 Posts
The consumer is given a consumer pin at the time of purchase, in which the consumer can change at anytime, as many times as they please. The master pin is a dealer pin only. Specifically for security reasons. If the master pin was given out, then anyone out and about on the streets that seen an Indian sitting somewhere could plug in the master pin and take off. Then the owner is out of a motorcycle. That is the reason why the master pin is not given out to consumers. At the time of purchase, every consumer should be instructed to write their consumer pin down, or even save it in their phone as a contact. If the issue arises where the code is forgotten, and the fob is not working, I'm pretty sure consumers wouldn't mind having their motorcycles towed to an authorized dealer to have their codes reset, over walking out the door one day and noticing that their motorcycles walked off.
The permanent "dealer PIN" is a RANDOM number which is different for each bike. This is the number the dealer gives you. You can then set your own, changeable "consumer PIN". Either one can be used to start the bike. I've tested this and both PINs work.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts