Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I decided to ride to work. I have the Roadmaster parked in the garage on a rubber mat. I was running through my head what I had to do at work. I climbed on the bike, put the kickstand up hit the power button and cranked it up. I was going to let it warm up so I got off it...with the kickstand up. The bike promptly fell over on the left side and I am rather embarrassed by doing something so stupid. In 43 years I have never done anything like this before. That said I learned:
1. The front and rear crash bars work. No damage to any of the body work.
2. The bike is heavy. I got it up and on the kickstand by myself but adrenaline certainly helped.
3. I'm happy I park it on a rubber mat as I think that kept the crash bars from getting scuffed.
4. Finally, once you hit your starter button keep your head in the game and concentrate on the bike and riding.

I wasn't going to post this but figured everyone would like to know the crash bars do work. Have a great and safe weekend. Clif

·
4,064 Posts
that's good to know, I dropped my Goldwing in the garage one time and the floor was so slick it took both my neighbors to keep it from sliding while I picked it up.

·
Super Moderator
4,867 Posts
Glad everything is ok clif. I did something similar, didn't push the kickstand all the way forward. I'm very thankful I had a couple of my old office chairs in the garage and I had been sitting on one of them cleaning away on the left side. The bike fell on the soft, cushy office chair. :eek:

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Oddly, dropped my road master yesterday making u turn in the middle of a two lane highway, I was going to fall of the edge of the pavement, so like a dumb ass, or not, I prolly woulda fell once the front tire went off the 4" lip, I hit the front brake. I could not lift the bike by the standard ass against the seat pushing up with your legs holding the handle bar in towards you, I had to just lift it facing it. I was shocked, it lifted right up, and was not damaged in any way. Lucky the road I was on, is in the middle of no where, so no one saw me, but it also had me thinking I was stranded, till I just faced the bike and heaved it right up first try.

·
Founding member / rider
895 Posts
With an Air Cooled motorcycle engine...It is not advisable to start it and just let sit there at idle to "let it warm up"

Get on the bike start it buckle your helmet, put on your gloves and ride gently away for the first mile or so. Otherwise with extended idling to "warm it up" results in uneven engine heating with hot and cold areas that can result in long term engine issues.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
This morning I decided to ride to work. I have the Roadmaster parked in the garage on a rubber mat. I was running through my head what I had to do at work. I climbed on the bike, put the kickstand up hit the power button and cranked it up. I was going to let it warm up so I got off it...with the kickstand up. The bike promptly fell over on the left side and I am rather embarrassed by doing something so stupid. In 43 years I have never done anything like this before. That said I learned:
2. The bike is heavy. I got it up and on the kickstand by myself but adrenaline certainly helped.
3. I'm happy I park it on a rubber mat as I think that kept the crash bars from getting scuffed.
4. Finally, once you hit your starter button keep your head in the game and concentrate on the bike and riding.

I wasn't going to post this but figured everyone would like to know the crash bars do work. Have a great and safe weekend. Clif
Glad everthing is ok. I have done that before. Got off my old vulcan to put it in the garage and forgot to put stand down.

·
5,107 Posts
I was riding on a cold winter day with my electric gear on. I was riding my Victory Cross Roads with some friends in an unfamiliar area and was starting to get low on gas. We finally got to an area I knew where we were also planning on splitting up. So I waved goodbye and went to a gas station, pulled in, shut off the bike, disconnected my gear, and started to get off the bike. As I leaned the bike over it got VERY heavy at which point I realized that I had forgot to put the kickstand down. Unfortunately there were plenty of people to witness my mistake, thou the person beside me did come over and help lift the bike up. Like the Chieftain, nothing damaged by my pride :rolleyes:

Reactions: clif02

·
4,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
With an Air Cooled motorcycle engine...It is not advisable to start it and just let sit there at idle to "let it warm up"

Get on the bike start it buckle your helmet, put on your gloves and ride gently away for the first mile or so. Otherwise with extended idling to "warm it up" results in uneven engine heating with hot and cold areas that can result in long term engine issues.
Old Timer, I start the bike and let it warm up while I put my jacket, gloves and helmet on. Then I mount and ride off. It does not sit and idle for a long period of time.

Reactions: harry

·
Registered
638 Posts
Shortly after I bought my bike I drove it into my overcrowded garage (tunnel) and thought I fully extended the kickstand but it was a partial. The bike was shut off but it lodged me in up against shelving on my left. I was stuck for about 5 minutes before wriggling free. The highway peg on the crash bar was stuck against the shelving and prevented it from sticking me there longer. Luckily the wife never heard the cussing and junk flying or I would have never heard the end of it. Talk about dumb.

·
2,041 Posts
Don't feel too bad, Clif02, I once rode up to a stop sign on a /2 Beemer that'd long been in sidecar duty after just removing the chair; stop, look both ways, fall over...
--- Randall

·
Registered
1,120 Posts

I had a similar situation, I was pinned between my roadking and metal shelf in my garage. I was there for about an hour when I saw my neighbor I just kept beeping the horn. I felt like that lady on TV I have fallen and get up lol. Glad you and the bike are ok

·
Registered
299 Posts
When I got my beemer, within the first few days of having it, I pulled up onto the sidewalk in front of my house and my foot slipped and it went on it's side in the grass. Nothing hurt but my pride and scared the heck out of me when I tried and tried to start it after getting it back up and it would not start....... I panicked and called my friend and told him what had happened, he laughed and informed me of the safety switch in the side stand that won't allow it to start when in gear with the stand down. Now I expect it, but that was my very first experience with the safety switch. So far, (knock on wood) I haven't dropped the Indian.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Dumped a few BMWs in the past (like the LT which is very top heavy), all it takes is a little gravel under one's shoe/boot and you were going over "Oh no, not again" but with the lower center of gravity on the Vics and now Indians it hasn't been a problem. While leading demo rides this last weekend I noticed many Indians with very different side stand tensions/adjustments, some were very loose while others were quite stiff, be aware of that when getting on and off strange bikes.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Dumped a few BMWs in the past (like the LT which is very top heavy), all it takes is a little gravel under one's shoe/boot and you were going over "Oh no, not again" but with the lower center of gravity on the Vics and now Indians it hasn't been a problem. While leading demo rides this last weekend I noticed many Indians with very different side stand tensions/adjustments, some were very loose while others were quite stiff, be aware of that when getting on and off strange bikes.
Had to put the Aeromach extension on my Chieftain side stand just for that reason( 28 inch inseam)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts