Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Chief Bobber Dark Horse, 2021 Vintage, 2019 FTR-RR, 2021 Scout Bobber, 1977 Yamaha XS750
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a call today from Pitt Cycles. All of the parts have now arrived for my Scout build. They wanted the bike early. Work was supposed to start January 4th. It is moved up to next Tuesday. (December 14th.) I will be adding a Revolution Performance 1300cc big bore kit, Andrews cams, and a Free Spirits Brembo front brake/rotor kit. The engine will then be Dyno tuned. I loaded up the Scout and delivered it to Pitt Cycles today. The build has officially started!
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Sky
Plant Sky Wheel Car Vehicle
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
2022 Chief Bobber Dark Horse, 2021 Vintage, 2019 FTR-RR, 2021 Scout Bobber, 1977 Yamaha XS750
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FTW66: I’m not sure how long it will take. Pitt Cycles asked me to hold off until winter when their shops routine maintenance is at its slowest and they have more time for projects. It is starting into winter in Pittsburgh, PA. I really don’t need the bike until the end of March. They have done similar builds before for other customers, so I’m sure they have learned a few tricks to get the job done!

·
Registered
56 Posts
FTW66: I’m not sure how long it will take. Pitt Cycles asked me to hold off until winter when their shops routine maintenance is at its slowest and they have more time for projects. It is starting into winter in Pittsburgh, PA. I really don’t need the bike until the end of March. They have done similar builds before for other customers, so I’m sure they have learned a few tricks to get the job done!

Mark, please keep us updated on their progress with your bike

I have been itching for more power, sounds like your build will have plenty when complete

- jim

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Paul James: I was also itching for more brakes! That twin piston caliper they put on the front of the Scout stinks once you start to push it a little. (The stock four piston caliper on the front of the Chief is much better.) Brembo with a big rotor will really help the Scout.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I plan to leave the stock rear brake. It is only a single piston unit with a 298mm rotor but it is adequate as 80% of the braking power on a motorcycle comes from the front unit. I have already upgraded the rear pads.
I also plan to use the stock front suspension at least for now. It has a 41mm tube and 4.7 inches of travel. I only have 1600 miles on this bike and so far I am satisfied with the front. The Scout is not a sports bike. It is a bar hopper. I’m hoping to use the increased power mostly in a straight line.

Another consideration is cost. I have almost $15,000 in the bike before this build. (I immediately added stage1 intake and exhaust and a LED headlight.) We ballparked this build at about $5,000. Once you get over $20,000 into a Scout you kind of reach a point of no return. I do plan to upgrade the rear shocks at some point. The stock units are going to give me kidney damage!

·
Registered
191 Posts
I plan to leave the stock rear brake. It is only a single piston unit with a 298mm rotor but it is adequate as 80% of the braking power on a motorcycle comes from the front unit. I have already upgraded the rear pads.
I also plan to use the stock front suspension at least for now. It has a 41mm tube and 4.7 inches of travel. I only have 1600 miles on this bike and so far I am satisfied with the front. The Scout is not a sports bike. It is a bar hopper. I’m hoping to use the increased power mostly in a straight line.

Another consideration is cost. I have almost $15,000 in the bike before this build. (I immediately added stage1 intake and exhaust and a LED headlight.) We ballparked this build at about $5,000. Once you get over $20,000 into a Scout you kind of reach a point of no return. I do plan to upgrade the rear shocks at some point. The stock units are going to give me kidney damage!
Understood! I already did full exhaust, PV3 tune and rear shocks. I may do AXEO Legends front suspension and next year do what you’re doing right now. The rear shocks (Progressive 444) upgrade made for a completely different ride, well worth the upgrade!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will look into those shocks. This bike will be Dyno tuned once the engine build is complete.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I’m pretty sure the intake ports will be examined and hand polished. However I don’t think there is a larger “off the shelf” throttle body available for the Scout. The stock throttle body and Stage1 airbox will be reinstated and reused.
So unlike the Stage 2 kit on my Chief which comes with a 65mm throttle body and high flow injectors, I don’t know if there is any way to stuff more air fuel mixture down the intake on a Scout right now without getting into expensive custom engine shop work.
Millennium Technology makes Revolution Performance big bore kits for V-Twins including the Scout. So the 10.9:1 compression pistons are supplied by Millennium. As far as I know they do not have cams, valves and heads available as a kit for the Scout. So I sourced the cams from Andrews. Millennium Tech is a full service machine shop and I believe Polaris uses them for engine work on the FTR 750 factory race bikes. So anything is possible. But for my purposes - (I am building a street bike not a race bike) I will take what the increased displacement, hot cams and Dyno tune give me and call it a day.
As long as it is faster than a Harley Sportster S - I will be happy!

·
Rider
2,025 Posts
Interesting comment about being faster than a Harley Sportster S. Tuned Harley or not I wonder? 30% torque increase and 20% BHP will be needed from your endeavours just to put you in the same ballpark. Interesting thread Mark thanks for sharing, especially as I am just about to embark on a Scout adventure myself.

1 - 20 of 139 Posts