Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
418E50F6-29C4-4311-9E68-016B795CE208.jpeg
I updated my Ride command system a couple of days ago on my 2018 Chieftain Limited. All went perfect with that.
Now I tried to update the maps and I get an “ Invalid Package” you need to restart your screen error. The current map update shows oct2016. It works good just wanted to update to latest and greatest. Has anyone had this issue yet? Any fixes that you now of? Any info would be appreciated!
What I’ve done so far.
Created key, downloaded file went back to bike and attempted to upload file. ERROR
Completely formatted usb drive tried again. ERROR
Tried with 2 brand new usb drives. Same results.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I updated mine before they had all the problems with peoples screens going blank on my 2018 Chieftain and had no issues. But I do remember the Indian USB drive wouldn't work for me.

·
Bronze member
3,267 Posts
Many of the Indian flash drive suck b%@@#$$. Most including my self had the same problem and using a reformatted 32-64 GB flash drive fixed the problem

·
Registered
36 Posts
View attachment 471252 I updated my Ride command system a couple of days ago on my 2018 Chieftain Limited. All went perfect with that.
Now I tried to update the maps and I get an “ Invalid Package” you need to restart your screen error. The current map update shows oct2016. It works good just wanted to update to latest and greatest. Has anyone had this issue yet? Any fixes that you now of? Any info would be appreciated!
What I’ve done so far.
Created key, downloaded file went back to bike and attempted to upload file. ERROR

I just did mine and got the same message. I use a Mac and then realized I never downloaded the update to the USB. Once I did, everything went good and quick. Ensure you saved it to your card

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just updated the maps on my 2018 Chieftain Classic. I had an issue where the firmware update went great using the Indian usb thumb drive but I kept getting errors trying to update the maps. I bought a scan disk 16 GB thumb drive and it worked!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
3,267 Posts
Just updated the maps on my 2018 Chieftain Classic. I had an issue where the firmware update went great using the Indian usb thumb drive but I kept getting errors trying to update the maps. I bought a scan disk 16 GB thumb drive and it worked!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The new thumb drive seems to be the number one solution to most of the software update issues.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Ok, I'm not saying y'all are wrong. I'm just saying that I got the same error - Invalid Package. (For some reason, my wife thought that was a funny)

Seriously, (and after I was able to get her out of the garage so she could continue her laughing inside), the error had nothing to do with the USB drive I was using. I tried several.

Best as I can tell, the file that was downloaded by the Map Toolbox was bad. I was using my Mac and the download was interrupted during the process and then finished. I took it to the bike per instructions and "Invalid Package". I re-formatted several different USB drives and tried each of them and it seems that the Map Toolbox would not download a new file but it would keep trying to write the same file to the new thumb drive. I re-booted the computer and still "Invalid Package". For some reason, the Map Toolbox keeps trying to write the original download even though I thought I had removed all traces of it.

Now the cussing began in earnest.

So....I went to my Windows laptop and started all over again for about the sixth time but for the first time on Windows. I downloaded the Windows version and followed the instructions (again).

Holy Private Parts, Batman, my Package was no longer Invalid!

Again, I'm not saying the thumb drive(s) aren't the problem in some (many) cases. But, in my case, I'm pretty sure the original download on the Mac was bad and I couldn't get it to re-do it.

All's good now and the dog can come out from under the bed.

·
Rider
724 Posts
View attachment 471252 I updated my Ride command system a couple of days ago on my 2018 Chieftain Limited. All went perfect with that.
What I’ve done so far.
I think updates cost after so many years. Not sure. I had trouble first time I did a map update, I finally went and got a 32 GB USB drive, that solved it.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Anyone have the most current software package #? I'm trying to determine if mine is current or my RC gremlins are due to the system needing to be updated...
Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the input. Still Having same problem with all above suggestions. I'm going to Indian dealer tomorrow to see what they say. If no results I'll call Indian support and see what they say. Like I said maps work ok just riding through a field where now there are roads according to GPS. Maybe need lift kit and knobby tires? LOL

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for all the input. Still Having same problem with all above suggestions. I'm going to Indian dealer tomorrow to see what they say. If no results I'll call Indian support and see what they say. Like I said maps work ok just riding through a field where now there are roads according to GPS. Maybe need lift kit and knobby tires? LOL
I thought I had the same issue, but found the nav display was simply not zoomed in far enough. Try zooming in a couple clicks on the flat knob and see if that does it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm also getting the InvalidPackage on my 2018 Dark Horse. I had the original Indian drive and tried several times each same error. I grabbed a scandisc drive formatted fat 32, went to the bike created a new key, deleted old saved routes and redownloaded the map update via computer and updated the map on the bike. This worked for me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts