Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! I got my very first bike, a 2020 Scout Sixty a couple weeks ago, and have been learning to ride on it :) Since buying, my husband has helped me install a reduced reach seat, highway bars, 21" tinted windscreen, a new clutch lever (I dropped it in a parking lot and the tip snapped off!) and i've added a cheap heat shield to the part of the pipe notorious for burning the legs of short people, and a Captain Itch crotch saver :) The only other thing on order right now is some Kuryakyn mini boards!

This forum has been so helpful for all kinds of reasons :)

Love seeing all your bikes too!

Polly

Attachments

Premium Member
2020 Indian Scout Sixty
Hi there! I got my very first bike, a 2020 Scout Sixty a couple weeks ago, and have been learning to ride on it :) Since buying, my husband has helped me install a reduced reach seat, highway bars, 21" tinted windscreen, a new clutch lever (I dropped it in a parking lot and the tip snapped off!) and i've added a cheap heat shield to the part of the pipe notorious for burning the legs of short people, and a Captain Itch crotch saver :) The only other thing on order right now is some Kuryakyn mini boards!

This forum has been so helpful for all kinds of reasons :)

Love seeing all your bikes too!

Polly
I just got mine last week! I am still waiting on my parts to come in to make it complete! BTW...great paint choice! 馃槈

Registered
She is a beauty! Making the bike your own is a must in my book! ( but expensive too) I love everything you have done so far !

I would like to recommend a couple of 鈥淓ssential 鈥 upgrades ..

The Stock Light: if you are riding or ever ride into the evening , it is very dim. I would recommend changing it . IMO, it is not safe to drive at night with the stock headlamp

The Seat. You鈥檒l find out after and 45- to an hour ride, you may want to opt for a different seat...

Other than that, you will be on that thing for many many hours.

I have one too :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
That saddle looks really good! I'll look into the headlight switch out, thank you! I notice your handlebars are different too - I was thinking about the reduced reach ones or something that stops my arms from being fully locked to reach the levers, but i thought i'd wait till i'd ridden a bit, to get a feel for what I need because I know that's a big job!

Bronze member
Good luck with the foot peg swap out! I had to use a Dremel cutting disk on those tiny ring retainers. The pins were still usable despite the notches that got cut into them.

My pre-owned Scout, with less than 1000 miles on it, had a broken and welded clutch lever.
I replaced that one and finally did a slow drop on wet ground after a few years, making a bend but not break. Luckily it straightened out OK without snapping off.

Be careful around curbs and other things near the highway bars.
Maybe not as much a problem for those of you starting out with them already on but I added mine after more than three years without.
They are wider than the OEM saddlebags.

Reactions: Polly

Bronze member
was thinking about the reduced reach ones or something that stops my arms from being fully locked to reach the levers, but i thought i'd wait till i'd ridden a bit, to get a feel for what I need
You could try adjusting that angle of the bars upward some.
I know it seems counterintuitive but mine were the same angle as yours when I bought it. Raising the grips up can keep you from reaching down.

Of course I apparently already had the reduced reach bars on mine. Yours definitely look shorter. A problem with getting those, you can鈥檛 get them in black.
I鈥檓 6 feet tall so I found out I still needed the reduced reach seat to put me forward a little. I just hate bending and stretching.
People talk about the solo saddle seat being good for fixing that too, but they also say it sits you higher which I don鈥檛 want to do.

Rider
2019 Scout and Chieftain Classic both in Willow Green and Cream
Good luck with the foot peg swap out! I had to use a Dremel cutting disk on those tiny ring retainers. The pins were still usable despite the notches that got cut into them.

My pre-owned Scout, with less than 1000 miles on it, had a broken and welded clutch lever.
I replaced that one and finally did a slow drop on wet ground after a few years, making a bend but not break. Luckily it straightened out OK without snapping off.

Maybe not as much a problem for those of you starting out with them already on but I added mine after more than three years without.
I had no problem removing with a pair of plyers, when i swopped out to floor boards.

Registered
That saddle looks really good! I'll look into the headlight switch out, thank you! I notice your handlebars are different too - I was thinking about the reduced reach ones or something that stops my arms from being fully locked to reach the levers, but i thought i'd wait till i'd ridden a bit, to get a feel for what I need because I know that's a big job!
Thank you ! They are the 10鈥 Mini apes. The reduced reach would be good for that!

Rider
Outside of floor boards, i replaced the headlight to the FTR LED headlight better road spread and more distintive in looks. Next is going to LED running/brake/turn signals in black.
Then single pipe in black and saddle bags.

Question reduced reach seat and yet a 21 inch high windshield? 17-19 seams to make more sense.

Registered
Outside of floor boards, i replaced the headlight to the FTR LED headlight better road spread and more distintive in looks. Next is going to LED running/brake/turn signals in black.
Then single pipe in black and saddle bags.

Question reduced reach seat and yet a 21 inch high windshield? 17-19 seams to make more sense.
It depends on how tall you are.. if you don鈥檛 know, go with that height. Also depends if your going OEM or aftermarket for a windshield

Registered

When I changed my pegs for the Kuryakyn Minis, I used Snap Rings instead of the ring retainers . A lot easier to install and you won鈥檛 waste much time trying to get them off if you ever need too .

Rider
It depends on how tall you are.. if you don鈥檛 know, go with that height. Also depends if your going OEM or aftermarket for a windshield

I've used Memphis fats or slims for 4-5 bikes now, i prefere the smoked bottoms.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts