Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Rider
1,100 Posts
I did somethng similar and supposedly my luggage rack is coming at the end of June..Ha ha ha ha .......
DSCN0020.JPG DSCN0021.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
The latest lowdown on the luggage rack. I sent Polaris a message on Facebook. I got a response back they were unhappy with the quality. The company that was building them got kicked to the curb. Now they say mid July shipment from new manufacturer. As much as I want it. You have to admire there commitment to quality. It would be easy for them to ship a subpar luggage rack.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The latest lowdown on the luggage rack. I sent Polaris a message on Facebook. I got a response back they were unhappy with the quality. The company that was building them got kicked to the curb. Now they say mid July shipment from new manufacturer. As much as I want it. You have to admire there commitment to quality. It would be easy for them to ship a subpar luggage rack.
I agree with the Quality issue, and I admire them for that.

BUT - This is a luggage rack, not anything electrical or hard to make. Bend metal, weld, chrome. Hundreds of places could build these things.

I saw Harley producing dozens a day at the York plant.

Indian is taking a black eye for a simple luggage rack, and customers are growing more dissatisfied the longer this takes!

( But dont get me wrong - I still love this bike )

·
Registered
57 Posts
that is a lot of weight leveraged to put on those (cheap) welds on the backrest. I would integrate an angle bracket up from the rear seat bolt just to give something else to support those rigs. It would be a shame to have that thing fail going down the road. not just all your gear taking a hit but also the rear fender and/or bags would probably be some collateral damage as well.
I am more interested in a tour pack solution.. if ever that should be available? poncho

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, I agree

I so badly want a tour pak option.

But seeing they cant get a simple luggage rack out, figure it will be some time for that to happen

·
Registered
297 Posts
Can't keep you guys down haha! Those are some simple fixes to get you by until the racks become available. Thanks for posting them up!

·
Rider
1,100 Posts
Spoke to Arlen Ness today about the right rear view mirror chrome lifting issue and while I had the parts guy on the phone I mentioned my luggage rack that I pre paid for in April. He said they got one in recenlty and it went to someone who had pre-paid for it last October! WTF Indian. Why should anyone have to wait 8 months to get a luggage rack? If that is the waiting period timeline will I have to wait till December to get mine? I am so pissed off about this delay. Really hard for me to talk the bike up to strangers when they ask about how happy I am with this ride.

·
Rider
1,100 Posts
Was gettting ready to ride down to Arlen Ness too exchange the right mirror and right before I was getting on the Chieftain their parts guy Gabe called to tell me that my luggage rack was there. Woo hoo! So my wait worked out to be just over two months. On the cardboard sleeve the COO (Country of Origin) was listed as USA so I feel good about that. Will post a pic tomorrow once I get this baby mounted. Happy 4th to everyone too...

Here are pictures of the lugage rack. It is a quality piece weighing about 4 pounds. Lots of nice chrome...

DSCN0083.JPG DSCN0086.JPG DSCN0084.JPG DSCN0087.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
I ordered mine (with by bike) last August and I received it in late April. Yep, that's around 8 months... I wasn't happy with the wait but the quality is top notch! Now I just need a bag that matches by brown saddle bags.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Corbins motorcycle seat company in Hollister Ca. makes a after market tour packet for the Indian. It's not as roughed as the H. D. box but is still functional . Kind of pricey.

·
Registered
15 Posts
going to order mine today. real pricey. question for you. I bought my chiefstain from Arlen Ness in September. love the bike. I developed an small oil leak on the cam cover. It's coming through one of the front bolt holes on the cover. Is your chiefsatin having the same problem?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts