Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It appears that the 2,500 mile service doesn't involve much, is just a look-over. Is this required for maintaining warranty?

·
Rider
1,104 Posts
What 2500 mile service? I had the 500 then 5000 service. Next one is at 10K miles

Reactions: swatbob

·
Registered
62 Posts
There is a mine 2500 mile inspection referenced in the owners manual. I'm taking my Vintage in next week for this inspection since I did the first oil change.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My rear drive belt needed adjusting at the 500 mile service and again at the 2500 miler. The little it costs is well worth the assurance that my bike is in top running condition. After the 5K service I plan to do every other service myself.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,119 Posts
What 2500 mile service? I had the 500 then 5000 service. Next one is at 10K miles
You might want to look at page 82/83 of your owner's manual again. The 2,500 mile service consists of inspecting the following:
Crankcase Vent
Oil Lines/Oil System Inspection
Air Filter
Exhaust System
Battery/Connections
Brake Fluid
Brake Lines/Brake Pads
Diagnostic Codes
Drive Belt (Rear)
Electrical Equipment/Switches
Evaporative Emission Control System (if equipped)
Fasteners
Front Brake Lever
ABS Components
Front Fork/Axle
Fuel System/Lines/Fittings
Gear Shift Lever
Rear Suspension Rocker
Rear Shock Unit
Rear Wheel Alignment
Rear Brake Pedal
Sidestand/Sidestand Safety Switch
Steering Bearings
Suspension Linkage, Rear
Swingarm/Rear Axle
Throttle Body
Throttle Control Grip
Tires/Wheels/Spokes

Then pass the Road Test

The only thing that I think you really can't do without a special computer is the Diagnostic Codes

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
Did my 2500 Mile Service with the Dealers Blessing .. They just said you at 5,000 Miles when took my Scout in for the Blistered Paint on the Tank and had 2300 Miles on it at the Time and said might as well do the 2500 while here .. So did it myself including Greasing the Cable Ends and Lubing the Kickstand which is not required except for my own satisfaction ..

·
Registered
370 Posts
Looking in the manual, everything at the every other 2,500 mile interval (2,500, 7,500, 12,500, etc.) is listed as "Inspect". There's nothing there listed as "Replace" or whatever. And, the only thing at 500 and every other 5,000 interval (5,000, 15,000, 25,000, etc.) is the oil change. Everything else is "Inspect". So, I did the 500 (oil change, inspect) and 2,500 (inspect) myself, and will do the 5,000 (oil change and inspect) and 7,500 (inspect) myself as well. Then I will head into the dealer for each of the "major" ones (10,000, 20,000, 30,000, etc.). At least that's my plan right now. :)

From page 82/83 of the manual:

indian_maint.PNG

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
The point of "inspection" is to see if something needs fixing or replacement :rolleyes:

·
Registered
370 Posts
The point of "inspection" is to see if something needs fixing or replacement :rolleyes:
Correct. But, at $90/hour or whatever, I'd rather be the one doing the inspecting at the 2,500 intervals. :)

Reactions: jarhead1

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Correct. But, at $90/hour or whatever, I'd rather be the one doing the inspecting at the 2,500 intervals. :)
I understand completely, I was just messing with you LOL :D

·
5,337 Posts
I did my 2500 Mile Inspect seriously including pulling the Tank to check Crankcase Vents, Air Filter, etc.. But did find pulling to the Fuel Connections on the Scout Tank anyway to be a PITA .. More on that to come ..

·
Registered
16 Posts
It appears that the 2,500 mile service doesn't involve much, is just a look-over. Is this required for maintaining warranty?
So, did anybody answer the question? If I don't have the 2500 mile service done at the dealership, even though it sounds like it's mostly inspections, will that void my warranty?

·
5,337 Posts
So, did anybody answer the question? If I don't have the 2500 mile service done at the dealership, even though it sounds like it's mostly inspections, will that void my warranty?
Just make a record of it .. Can do all your Services yourself without voiding warranty ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
465 Posts
Even if you document it there is no way to prove it was actually done. I don't think doing it yourself will void the warranty unless it specifically say so in writing somewhere.

·
Gold Supporting Member
3,248 Posts
It's probably overkill, but I'm planning on changing my oil again at 2500 miles. Then again at 6000 miles and then at 3000 miles intervals thereafter. Running Amsoil right now, but I'll probably switch to Mobil 1 only because it's easier to source on the retail side.

·
Limited Edition - Solid Red Roadmaster
3,516 Posts
You might want to look at page 82/83 of your owner's manual again. The 2,500 mile service consists of inspecting the following:
Crankcase Vent
Oil Lines/Oil System Inspection
Air Filter
Exhaust System
Battery/Connections
Brake Fluid
Brake Lines/Brake Pads
Diagnostic Codes
Drive Belt (Rear)
Electrical Equipment/Switches
Evaporative Emission Control System (if equipped)
Fasteners
Front Brake Lever
ABS Components
Front Fork/Axle
Fuel System/Lines/Fittings
Gear Shift Lever
Rear Suspension Rocker
Rear Shock Unit
Rear Wheel Alignment
Rear Brake Pedal
Sidestand/Sidestand Safety Switch
Steering Bearings
Suspension Linkage, Rear
Swingarm/Rear Axle
Throttle Body
Throttle Control Grip
Tires/Wheels/Spokes

Then pass the Road Test

The only thing that I think you really can't do without a special computer is the Diagnostic Codes

I'd wager that 80% of the dealer techs barely do much more than glance in the general direction of 'most' of these items, play on their smart phones, have lots of unrelated discussions with their buddy's to pass the time, and after their profitable break, move on to the next project - Easy Money for them.

Reactions: alantx and dregol

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,119 Posts
I'd wager that 80% of the dealer techs barely do much more than glance in the general direction of 'most' of these items, play on their smart phones, have lots of unrelated discussions with their buddy's to pass the time, and after their profitable break, move on to the next project - Easy Money for them.
No way would I take that bet. I'd like to believe it isn't true but human nature and all...

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had the 500 service done and was told see you at the 5000! Called to set an appt. for the 5000 and was told it was supposed to be 4000 and that I had missed the 2500 insp! Checked my service manual just in case I screwed up but no, and confirmed it with the service manager. No big deal on the 2500 insp. just for peace of mind I guess! Ha!

·
Limited Edition - Solid Red Roadmaster
3,516 Posts
I had the 500 service done and was told see you at the 5000! Called to set an appt. for the 5000 and was told it was supposed to be 4000 and that I had missed the 2500 insp! Checked my service manual just in case I screwed up but no, and confirmed it with the service manager. No big deal on the 2500 insp. just for peace of mind I guess! Ha!
4000? is he smoking a peace pipe? 4000kilometers not miles
tell him you did not miss the 2500 MILE insp - you did it yourself, right?
here is the maintenance table:

Screen Shot 2015-05-27 at 4.55.05 PM.png

1 - 20 of 29 Posts