Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dual-sport and dirt bike guy here. I'm considering something like a HD Sportster or Indian Scout. The main problem with Indians is the lack of dealers anywhere near me which is why I'm here.

I'm liking the Scout a little bit better than the Sportster because the 69 cubic inch motor seems to be better for "me" and, the general looks appeal to me. Also, water cooling seems like a good idea on a ride like this.

Now, are the differences mainly farkles from the factory or, are there real differences between the "Scout" model designations beyond obvious color options assuming I don't want a bobber?

Also, I see a lot of posts in various places about scraping due to bad lean angles. Is the Scout really that bad? I'm not a canyon carver in general and if I was, I'd be looking elsewhere but, I want to be able to ride the twisties somewhat fast.

TIA,
Sid

·
Bronze member
2016 Indian Scout
1,851 Posts
Dual-sport and dirt bike guy here. I'm considering something like a HD Sportster or Indian Scout. The main problem with Indians is the lack of dealers anywhere near me which is why I'm here.

I'm liking the Scout a little bit better than the Sportster because the 69 cubic inch motor seems to be better for "me" and, the general looks appeal to me. Also, water cooling seems like a good idea on a ride like this.

Now, are the differences mainly farkles from the factory or, are there real differences between the "Scout" model designations beyond obvious color options assuming I don't want a bobber?

Also, I see a lot of posts in various places about scraping due to bad lean angles. Is the Scout really that bad? I'm not a canyon carver in general and if I was, I'd be looking elsewhere but, I want to be able to ride the twisties somewhat fast.

TIA,
Sid
Welcome. A Scout is better than a Sportster in all categories. More power, better handling (after a few adjustments, according to year of Scout) a fun. Some call it 'zippy' as it does like corners and twisties. Difference is engine size. 60 vs 69. Lots of opinions on which is better, but mostly the same. 60 has a black engine and frame; 69 has chrome heads on black engine with gray frame. Again, colors schemes and styles have changed over the years, but the engine is very reliable. There has not been much conversation on Scout engine problems. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The scout sixty used to be the same as the scout just slightly smaller, but recently changed throttle bodies so they are not really the same anymore (they can be tuned to match the 69in though for around a thousand dollars in accessories). The bobber is the same size as the scout, with the obvious visual difference, but come with reduced suspension, shorter bars, and mid controls (which you can get on any scout aftermarket). I came from a dual sport too, and I don't think the lean angle is too compromising. You can always swap the pipes out for something smaller to lean a little more. I take my right turns pretty fast and sharp when the light is green sometimes, and the only scraping I've had was during a cramped u-turn on a crowned road.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The stock tires are a little slippery though, and they would probably be the most limiting factor aside form pipes when leaning a lot. Just feels like you are constantly riding in dirt with how much the back end likes to slip on tight turns, but if you are used to offroading, it's not a big deal. Actually more fun than annoying.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
I had a 2016 Scout 60 for 16 months before moving to a Springfield. A PVCX opened up the bike's power and it was a fun machine.

I used to scrape the pegs easily enough but they are spring loaded rubber coated alloy and don't grab at the pavement if they touch down. It's a matter of getting used to the noise and not being spooked by it. I put boards on but they scraped sooner and I went back to the pegs. I don't think it ever scraped the pipes.

There was only one bad experience of scraping. It was leaned over on a very tight bend on a mountain road and the bike hit a bump. My heel touched down and was dragged off the peg.

The two big differences between Scout models are with the 60. It has a slightly smaller capacity motor, 1000 vs 1133cc. And it has only five gears - to do this they removed the fifth gear cog. This leaves top gear the same. I never missed 5th as the motor is very capable of wide rev range output.

The 60 was also tuned differently to limit performance a bit, but the PVCX tuning allowed full potential. I don't know if the newer models are still tuned like this.

·
Registered
92 Posts

TIA,
Sid
im in western MA and if you wanna take a ride on a 2018 Scout bobber come and check mine out. its in the Sale forum also. i have around 5000 miles on it and love the curves and mountains around here. I dont have a scrapping issue but maybe thats how i ride. This bike is comfortable at 80 ( as fast as ive gone on it ) on the highway or lower gear higher RPM in the mountains. Fun Fun Fun. whatever you decide for a bike the scout family is a nice ride IMO.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I ended up choosing the scout bobber over the HD Sportster Roadster. I liked both bikes equally as well. They are two different bikes though. Performance wise based on a few people I know with sportsters...…….the scout will blow the sportster out of the water. Depends if you wanna be able to cruise a bit. If you do the scout is the way to go. get the bike with 6 speeds. 5 is find for around 60 mph but anything over that the sixth gear is super nice. My biggest complaint about the scout is the paint. It's so fragile. Scratches easily. Also the speedometer bezel seems to be plastic which also scratches just as easily. I've never owned a HD so I can't comment much on them. The HD culture is nice though. You can really never go wrong owning an Indian or a HD. Just comes down to what things are more important to you.....

·
Registered
397 Posts
I ended up choosing the scout bobber over the HD Sportster Roadster. I liked both bikes equally as well. They are two different bikes though. Performance wise based on a few people I know with sportsters...…….the scout will blow the sportster out of the water. Depends if you wanna be able to cruise a bit. If you do the scout is the way to go. get the bike with 6 speeds. 5 is find for around 60 mph but anything over that the sixth gear is super nice.
The scout 60 has the same "6th" gear that the scout has so there is no difference at higher speeds.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Ahhhh well there ya go. That kinda sucks though. I use 5 for cruising at 50 to 60. Six is pretty high for that. But ya can’t have everything haha.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts