Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
I work in the paper making industry. We are being strangled with taxes and over regulation.
I know you are,,,, I watched it for years and I am so sorry to say I saw it coming as did everyone else in the industry. You said "I work in the paper making industry" Thank your lucky stars! There are so many shuttered mills in the US that is is almost criminal. I dare to imagine what the unemployment rate actually is in this country!
Glad you are working brother! I raised my family with the help of the Pulp and Paper industry and I am grateful to all those I worked with!

·
Banned
3,888 Posts
I know you are,,,, I watched it for years and I am so sorry to say I saw it coming as did everyone else in the industry. You said "I work in the paper making industry" Thank your lucky stars! There are so many shuttered mills in the US that is is almost criminal. I dare to imagine what the unemployment rate actually is in this country!
Glad you are working brother! I raised my family with the help of the Pulp and Paper industry and I am grateful to all those I worked with!
Computers have changed the face of paper making, but regulations, taxes and trade agreements negotiated at the cost of American job's are what is hurting us the most.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Not at all! This is important stuff, and I didn't just put a picture up to show off my camera equipment or sell t-shirts. I think there is close to a unanimous agreement on (1) our desire to buy American, (2) Our willingness to pay more for it, especially because it is good quality, and (3) the difficulty finding US-made products. My camera - there is simply not a US-made camera!

Grateful for the Indians we own, among several articles we have that are America through and through.

You do fabulous work Meggie....Although we invented digital photography in America (a true Kodak moment), fortunately there are others that have truly mastered camera design. You use one of the best and use it well. You really do get what you pay for. I look forward to your artful renderings and I am not alone as I am sure many here will agree.
My step daughter is a photographer and it never ceases to amaze me what her eyes can see that mine can not...... It is that way with you as well.

When I look back on my life and where I have been and wonder where I am heading I often get emotional. We can't all always see eye to eye and isn't that wonderful? That is what makes us individuals.
"If we had nothing to ***** about what would we ***** about?"

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
As an electrician i buy all american made tools because my life depends on it. I can get a whole set of screw drivers from home depot for $5 but i pay about $15 each for klein. (American Made)
Klein rocks!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Meggie I just checked out y'all's store and you've got some cool swag that I'm going to have to add to my collection soon. I want to say though I love the "I don't care how they do it in California" slogan. I've had the signature I don't care how they do it in Japan ever since seeing it on a UAW bumper sticker years ago so please don't think it's a rip off from y'all. Next time we're in big D we'll have to stop by and check y'all out and do some tradin.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Meggie I just checked out y'all's store and you've got some cool swag that I'm going to have to add to my collection soon. I want to say though I love the "I don't care how they do it in California" slogan. I've had the signature I don't care how they do it in Japan ever since seeing it on a UAW bumper sticker years ago so please don't think it's a rip off from y'all. Next time we're in big D we'll have to stop by and check y'all out and do some tradin.
Thanks so much! When you place an order, send me a DM and I'll throw in more goodies.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I spend my money where I can receive the best value. For me, value means that the product needs to fit my needs and last a long time. I own 2 American Bikes and a Korean car and I have no guilt about buying a Korean car.

Contrary to popular belief, Koreans and Chinese people do not eat American Currency, they spend it. And when they spend it they either spend it directly on American goods and services or trade it with someone who does.

What I am saying is that the perceived trade deficit is largely a public relations issue teamed with an accounting error. In order to sell goods and services to people in foreign countries, you need to buy things in foreign countries. When I bought my Kia, a portion of what I paid went to Korea, lets say $20,000. When Korea received that 20K, some of it was traded for goods back to the US, some for services, some was invested in US investments and some was traded with other countries to come back here by another path. But all of it will come back.

The current formula for giving us a trade deficit number only takes into consideration hard goods and part of the services and does not include the other forms of trade that I listed. This gives us a dramatic number that can scare our population. It is currently reported as a 361 Billion dollar deficit.

If we create a real trade deficit, it would be good for us. We could print money buy foreign goods and they foreign companies would never redeem the money. It would be like me writing my mortgage check every month and the bank never cashing it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I spend my money where I can receive the best value. For me, value means that the product needs to fit my needs and last a long time. I own 2 American Bikes and a Korean car and I have no guilt about buying a Korean car.

Contrary to popular belief, Koreans and Chinese people do not eat American Currency, they spend it. And when they spend it they either spend it directly on American goods and services or trade it with someone who does.

What I am saying is that the perceived trade deficit is largely a public relations issue teamed with an accounting error. In order to sell goods and services to people in foreign countries, you need to buy things in foreign countries. When I bought my Kia, a portion of what I paid went to Korea, lets say $20,000. When Korea received that 20K, some of it was traded for goods back to the US, some for services, some was invested in US investments and some was traded with other countries to come back here by another path. But all of it will come back.

The current formula for giving us a trade deficit number only takes into consideration hard goods and part of the services and does not include the other forms of trade that I listed. This gives us a dramatic number that can scare our population. It is currently reported as a 361 Billion dollar deficit.

If we create a real trade deficit, it would be good for us. We could print money buy foreign goods and they foreign companies would never redeem the money. It would be like me writing my mortgage check every month and the bank never cashing it.
Uh huh and American people buying a Lexus didn't kill the American made Lincoln and send our jobs to Mexico. I'm sorry I don't mean to be derogatory but saw it happen personally along with high insurance cost and yes as an auto worker we made a good wage but just before the company sent our products to Canada and Mexico the ceo was fired and received a multi million dollar severance pay. I know the general consensus on American workers is spoiled and such especially auto workers but most people don't know what really goes on behind the scene. I've been in the business of building American products most of my life from preproduction through final product and I'll tell you first hand we do our best to make sure it's the best we can make it overall. I don't honestly know a lot about the political "deficit" stuff but I do know that buying American made keeps jobs in America that is simple supply and demand. Sorry for the soap box

·
Registered
282 Posts
Uh huh and American people buying a Lexus didn't kill the American made Lincoln and send our jobs to Mexico. I'm sorry I don't mean to be derogatory but saw it happen personally along with high insurance cost and yes as an auto worker we made a good wage but just before the company sent our products to Canada and Mexico the ceo was fired and received a multi million dollar severance pay. I know the general consensus on American workers is spoiled and such especially auto workers but most people don't know what really goes on behind the scene. I've been in the business of building American products most of my life from preproduction through final product and I'll tell you first hand we do our best to make sure it's the best we can make it overall. I don't honestly know a lot about the political "deficit" stuff but I do know that buying American made keeps jobs in America that is simple supply and demand. Sorry for the soap box
If company cannot produce a product that people want, another company will fill the void. Industry is a continually changing thing and jobs and careers need to change with it. I have changed careers several times in my life, sometimes due to competition and sometimes because I found something better to do. But I am responsible for supporting my family, not the company that I work for. If things change, I will relocate or find something else to do.

I do not think that American workers are spoiled, but I do think that many workers are slow to change. I used to own a construction company and did well for a time, when I could no longer compete, I started a retail store and that did well for a while too. When it got hard to compete with the online vendors, I joined the online industry and am doing well with that too. There have been some failed attempts along the way, but I keep trying new things.

I do not care about executive severance pay and other news grabbing headlines because in the end the consumer will decide what they buy and I will buy what meets my needs wherever it is made. I chose an Indian because I liked it, One of the reasons that I liked it was because it was american made, but that was only one of the reasons. I was willing to part with more of my dollars to buy an American bike because I liked the looks, the engineering and the history of the brand.

·
Senior member / silver
3,453 Posts
I have this on my sig line on all my business emails.

If you're not doing it, somebody else is.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Vote for change

·
Registered
45 Posts
If company cannot produce a product that people want, another company will fill the void. Industry is a continually changing thing and jobs and careers need to change with it. I have changed careers several times in my life, sometimes due to competition and sometimes because I found something better to do. But I am responsible for supporting my family, not the company that I work for. If things change, I will relocate or find something else to do.

I do not think that American workers are spoiled, but I do think that many workers are slow to change. I used to own a construction company and did well for a time, when I could no longer compete, I started a retail store and that did well for a while too. When it got hard to compete with the online vendors, I joined the online industry and am doing well with that too. There have been some failed attempts along the way, but I keep trying new things.

I do not care about executive severance pay and other news grabbing headlines because in the end the consumer will decide what they buy and I will buy what meets my needs wherever it is made. I chose an Indian because I liked it, One of the reasons that I liked it was because it was american made, but that was only one of the reasons. I was willing to part with more of my dollars to buy an American bike because I liked the looks, the engineering and the history of the brand.

I agree I just feel that to many Americans don't care where or who produces the products they purchase it's all about the almighty $. Don't get me wrong I don't like to spend money if I don't have to take groceries for instance everyone around here knows it's cheaper usually to buy from Wally but my wife and I normally choose to buy from our locally owned store as it supports local business and we know where especially the meat comes from even though at times it costs a little more. I love the Indians because first off they are American made. I also like HDs but choose Indians as it's different than the norm at least around here. I love the American nostalgia of the design the engine and the ride. I'm very thankful to live in this great country of ours and still be able to have the freedom to spend our money on what we want from whomever manufactured it. I just choose to do my best to buy made in the USA

·
Registered
367 Posts
image.jpeg

I posted this on another thread too. I love it when I find great products made in a great country. These just arrived today after waiting for about a month. Well worth the price and the wait. Just google the name on the thumb if you are interested.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Now those are my kind of gloves. Been thinking about going to a pair of natural leather gloves that match my RM seats. A little pricey but they look like they are made to last. Wish they had a fingerless version.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I reluctantly bought a Kubota. I had no other choice IMHO. My Dad fought the Japanese in WWII. He never consciously spoke of it, but it was not a good time for him and it affected him for his entire life. It was a very painful yet necessary purchase. I am getting older and after almost rolling my riding lawnmower down the Blue Ridge Mountains to Charlotte on several occasions, I had to make a decision that worked for me. 4 WD diesel bulletproof, no American Manufacturer could provide that for me.It is assembled in Tennessee so some of the money stays here. BTW, what is the country of origin of the machine you are typing into this forum on? Please tell me where to buy American computers? Where are the devices manufactured from where you receive your news to articulate your arguments? I buy everything possible made in the USA. I spend more to do so. Sometime the choice is not present.

·
Vendor / bronze
2,767 Posts
I own www.IndianAftermarket.com We use some tools and materials from other countries. It is hard to find everything American. At least we put out American labor into our products.

Meggie is a great forum member and has a great company. It is fun to be on this forum and be involved with nice people like her.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts