Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Good on you guys! People should be intentional about buying things made in the U.S.A.

Reactions: rslinct

·
Registered
45 Posts
I try to buy all I can made in the U.S. especially growing up in a UAW family and being a member for 16 years but I can't believe the products that are being shipped to overseas manufacturers that are supposed to be American. I worked 14 plus years building Lincolns TBirds and the Ford GT with some of the best quality builds in N. America according to the major critics all for the company to close the plant just months after our 50th anniversary. They shipped the Town Car (our flagship) to Canada now the Lincoln brand is Made in Mexico. But like our beloved country I love Ford but don't care for the people running it.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
It is so damn hard to buy all american nowadays but we try to do so when we can. The Bill Clinton train wreck NAFTA made it increasingly harder and American companies are still moving off shore at alarming rates. Once upon a time 90% of shoes worn in America were made in Maine or Tennessee of all places. And who would have thought that the sock capital of the world was a small north Alabama town of 14,000 people? These days you would be hard pressed to find American made footwear and when you do it is from boutique type businesses and you pay a premium to get them. It is the same with most clothing brands. If your jeans are made in America, you probably paid $200 plus for them. What a rash of BS that is.

Look at Detroit, look at Pittsburgh. The bulk of our scrap metal is shipped to China where it is turned into steel and sold back to us. Regal third growth timber, sometimes taking only three logs to fill a trailer, are hauled to Northwest ports and floated offshore as well. Our paper mills are regulated to the point where they can't operate yet we import ship after ship of pulp from Brazil to make our paper. WTF is not phrase enough to describe my disgust.

Yes we need to support small American business...... Manufacturing, service related, food service everything we can. At the rate it's going, one day small business may be all there is left to support.
We need to bring manufacturing back to America but it is highly unlikely in the current political climate. We need to place tariffs and high taxes on all the crap we float into our ports, but again it is unlikely. I am not sure the damage that has been done to this country can be reversed but we damn sure need to try.
The sad part of all of this is we all just sat by and let it happen. Think about what the past twenty one years has done to what took 240 years to build. WTF!!!

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Luckily for us, we are a premium brand so we can pay a little more for our product and we go out of our way to identify domestic producers. More and more t-shirt manufactures are bringing production back to California, and while the product is 20% more expensive to us, it's worth it. Ditto shipping supplies, and patches and stickers and our line from Vanson, and on and on.

And let me take this opportunity to thank all of you for supporting our fledgling brand.

·
6,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a lot of ChannelLock brand tools (with the baby blue handles) because they're made in the USA (except for a small set of screwdrivers I bought once).
I hit the local pawn shops on Lemmon Avenue every cople of weeks and pick up old US-made sockets and spanners and screwdrivers all once a month. The managers all know me and give me a hell of a deal.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Luckily for us, we are a premium brand so we can pay a little more for our product and we go out of our way to identify domestic producers. More and more t-shirt manufactures are bringing production back to California, and while the product is 20% more expensive to us, it's worth it. Ditto shipping supplies, and patches and stickers and our line from Vanson, and on and on.

And let me take this opportunity to thank all of you for supporting our fledgling brand.
You guys do a great job Meggie!

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
The sad part of all of this is we all just sat by and let it happen. Think about what the past twenty one years has done to what took 240 years to build. WTF!!!
Sorry......It rained all day long and you know how cranky I get when it rains! :oops:

·
Bronze member
1,111 Posts
It is so damn hard to buy all american nowadays but we try to do so when we can. The Bill Clinton train wreck NAFTA made it increasingly harder and American companies are still moving off shore at alarming rates. Once upon a time 90% of shoes worn in America were made in Maine or Tennessee of all places. And who would have thought that the sock capital of the world was a small north Alabama town of 14,000 people? These days you would be hard pressed to find American made footwear and when you do it is from boutique type businesses and you pay a premium to get them. It is the same with most clothing brands. If your jeans are made in America, you probably paid $200 plus for them. What a rash of BS that is.

Look at Detroit, look at Pittsburgh. The bulk of our scrap metal is shipped to China where it is turned into steel and sold back to us. Regal third growth timber, sometimes taking only three logs to fill a trailer, are hauled to Northwest ports and floated offshore as well. Our paper mills are regulated to the point where they can't operate yet we import ship after ship of pulp from Brazil to make our paper. WTF is not phrase enough to describe my disgust.

Yes we need to support small American business...... Manufacturing, service related, food service everything we can. At the rate it's going, one day small business may be all there is left to support.
We need to bring manufacturing back to America but it is highly unlikely in the current political climate. We need to place tariffs and high taxes on all the crap we float into our ports, but again it is unlikely. I am not sure the damage that has been done to this country can be reversed but we damn sure need to try.
Don't be insulted by my addition to your comments some of which are sound and others unfounded. I am a Canadian and I always try to buy Canadian first, then American, after that in a descending order of nations who I feel share the wealth of trade and supply lasting quality products.
Those products can be found if your willing to do the work to find them and also at times pay the higher cost, but you can't have quality for cheap. Above you mentioned the cost of $200.00 shoes, for something made in your home country or mine that is reasonable. Find ads from the local newspapers of 40 years ago and see that the cost of shoes then versus the rate of inflation and your at $200. It would be wrong to spout about nothing being made in America without the will to pay for the cost of that.

My recent American purchases are tools from Sears which might be the last of the American made ones, American made motorcycle boots for over $300.00, American made running shoes (bought two pairs again at Sears), work boots Canadian made, bathroom renovation everything (toilet, shower doors, tile, and even a vent fan with speakers and blue tooth made in America. The Canadian labour to install.
Problem is too many folks are either too lazy or busy to read the labels, do the research, and most of all pay the real cost. In the era of "Wally" where almost all things are from China people just got use to cheap and throw away, our dumps are full of cash.

Paper mills import virgin fiber because of cost and the politics of tree cutting at home (although trees are a renewable crop). The larger amount of paper being produced is recycled fiber of which a large degree is Chinese.

In 1965 I know of someone who paid $900.00 for a coloured TV and do the math on that and your looking at many thousands of dollars for and import today, instead of the $1800.00 unit that's 60" and not a 26" and would you pay $9000.00 for one now?

You raise the great point of declining American quality of life. But when you have rich folks paying illegals half the minimum wage when they can either afford to pay properly or can't and should stop living beyond their means. The stage is set and players will play their parts even of they are poor actors.
Sadly not enough people think about the impact of the they earn dollar and the power of such. Our ability to purchase has greater impact that our ability to vote, and cash is king not credit.

Like a above poster I too would rather scrounge the second hand shops for quality Canadian or American made tools then go to "Wally" for the easy way out.

So be timely and research your purchases. Buy the products even at higher costs and be happy your employing an American.
Countries I seek products from Canada, America, England, Australia, Italy, and so on. These are my trading partners.

·
Senior member / silver
3,453 Posts
Well the EPA pretty much killed the neoprene industry in the USA about 15-20 years ago so good luck finding commercial grade neoprene made in the USA. That being said, too many businesses, especially start ups try to compete on price alone and forget quality and customer service. They also seem to think they are going to compete against Walmart and other big box retailers and yet most of they can't even buy MOQ's. Everyone wants to hit a home run first time up to the plate and most of them just strike out.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I try to buy USA made. I normally go to great lengths to do so. I was in the market for a small tractor last year. I looked at John Deere, it had a Chi-Com engine, as did the Furd. I sadly went with a Kubota. It was manufactured (or assembled) in Tennessee, I have to take comfort in that. I would rather buy from the Japanese now, than the Reds. My father would roll in his grave if he knew I made such a purchase.

Reactions: Blueshwk

·
Banned
3,888 Posts

I work in the paper making industry. We are being strangled with taxes and over regulation.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Don't be insulted by my addition to your comments some of which are sound and others unfounded. I am a Canadian and I always try to buy Canadian first, then American, after that in a descending order of nations who I feel share the wealth of trade and supply lasting quality products.

I am not insulted but I think you have misread much of what I wrote. I said $200 jeans not shoes. I regularly pay over $300 for my boots and as I said I try to by American when I can but it is not always possible. I wear Levi's cause I like the way they fit so there is an example. Also I never mentioned a declining quality of life. The point of my post was the decline of domestic manufacturing and that was all. I always read labels and I buy American....when I can.
I am an old fashion proud and free forward thinking conservative American that despises seeing what has happened to the state of our economy and the reasons for it. That's all.

We as Americans do not even know where our tax money goes anymore! I don't mind paying more for products and often do. Hell in most cases we have no choice but to pay more regardless of the point of manufacture,

I worked in textile manufacturing for 15 years and afterward, prior to retiring, I worked 18 years in the Pulp and Paper industry. During which time I was responsible for territories that included the US and South America and traveled extensively through both. Incidentally our corporate offices were in Burlington Ontario and our engineering and manufacturing facilities were and still are in Washington State. Although much of what I said is based on my own personal views, my statements are fact based and I am well enough qualified to make them,

As far as virgin fiber pulp from either the US or South America, that product does not, nor has it existed for years and years, The pulp from South America is largely made from sustainable growth Eucalyptus that replenishes itself quickly and and is constantly replanted and re harvested. They produce upwards of 20 million metric tons yearly much of which is shipped to the United states,

The South American Government does as good or better at preserving the natural hardwood in that country than we do in North America, which yes includes Canada, The mindset that modern paper making is "destroying the rain forests" is BS and has always been. The deforestation of Brazil was mostly due to population growth, as it was in this country in the past two centuries. The greater percentage of pulp produced in this country is made from either sustainable evergreen forests planted for that purpose or hardwood also planted and harvested for that purpose on private lands or land owned by the paper industry.
Your forefathers and mine did away with the old growth forests in North America long before your great grandfather drew his first breath. Numbers vary but as much as 90% of true old growth timber has been harvested in the US. Much of what is now considered old growth in North America is actually second and third growth and is on protected government lands. The definition of old growth in itself is so varying that there is no standard in defining what old growth is. In my view it is untouched forests and to be honest with the exception of parts of very remote Alaska there is probably no un-forested area left in this country. North America still leads the world in deforestation, although the paper industry is not the culprit.
Much of what has been learned in South America in regard to utilizing alternate resources for producing pulp is being taught and successfully practiced in Asian countries and elsewhere. The world owes a debt of gratitude to the Brazilian government and pulp producers for their efforts in protecting the most important lands on the face of this planet.

"We need to place tariffs and high taxes on all the crap we float into our ports, but again it is unlikely. I am not sure the damage that has been done to this country can be reversed but we damn sure need to try. The sad part of all of this is we all just sat by and let it happen. Think about what the past twenty one years has done to what took 240 years to build. WTF!!!"
That was what I said.

I enjoy and value my quality of life and as mentioned, I am a proud and free, forward thinking, conservative American and I always will be.

We could start talking about the steel industry which went to hell on a hat rack years ago but it is the same old song. Too much government intervention and too many taxes.... Something you my Canadian brother, should be all too familiar with.
Oh and in regard to your Craftsman tools? Unless they are very old ones, they were made in China from steel scrap, bought from and supplied by the good old US of A. So yes hit those pawn shops and swap meets and buy up some good old tools with character. I like the engraved stuff and wonder what they wrenched in their past lives.

Hey, I have no beef with anyone other than the Washington dunderheads that play us like cheap out of tune pianos. I just want to enjoy my retirement and ride my motorcycle, If I occasionally ***** about O'damna-care or other such dumb-asstrophies, just overlook me and accept my apologies in advance!

Meggie if I high jacked your thread it was truly unintentional and I am sorry.

·
6,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Meggie if I high jacked your thread it was truly unintentional and I am sorry.

Not at all! This is important stuff, and I didn't just put a picture up to show off my camera equipment or sell t-shirts. I think there is close to a unanimous agreement on (1) our desire to buy American, (2) Our willingness to pay more for it, especially because it is good quality, and (3) the difficulty finding US-made products. My camera - there is simply not a US-made camera!

Grateful for the Indians we own, among several articles we have that are America through and through.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts