Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dont know if anyone saw this but in Nick's review of the scout if you blow up the picture of the engine which shows the smog sticker on the radiator you can see the water hose with the words made in China in bold letters on it. Man I wish they would have use a made in the USA hose but maybe there is no hose made in the USA anymore. Im going to have to clean those letters off!!

·
Founding member / Distinguished
1,956 Posts
Start worrying when you see "Made in Somalia"

·
2,047 Posts
Guys, get over it, everything is made wherever on the globe its cheapest to make it; that's the way it is, never mind "Buy USA".. Its not going to change.
--- Randall

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Sad but true..... A GM or ford may come from Mexico while my Lexus was built in Canada. Sure glad my wife's new Toyota was built in the USA with parts from anywhere. It is a global market. I thought the new street Harley's were built in India......at least we should be used to their call center people if any technology doesn't work like the USB ....

·
Registered
384 Posts
Having been born Detroit and have seen what the foreign makers produce I've drove mainly Toyota for 25 years. The 1970's and NAFTA screwed the made in the USA or did our politicians due that? Anyway want some made in the USA jeans down to the pocket rivets try Texas jeans made in North Carolina go figure. My 501's are straight out of mexico:( Do what you can but be realistic it tough to bleed red white and blue

Reactions: satmdv

·
Founding member
1,522 Posts
Hey Husky, stop the slander. It's just a freaking hose you are picking on. Don't trash talk on the whole company.

·
Founding member
1,522 Posts
I know what you are saying. Our gov. and big corps. are not the working mans friend. They are all out for more votes and bigger profits.
But, in support of the Polaris company, as far as I know the Indian brand motorcycles are produced at the Spirt Lake plant in Iowa. The corp HQ is in Minnesota USA.

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
Not Only Corp Greed but Consumers have made this market what it is today .. US Steel was once the Richest and Largest Employer in the US .. Now it's Wal mart I happen to like my Buick Verano this is a well built car at least assembled in Detroit which is all but dying .. But many consumers will see the 20K sticker on it and go buy a Kia or Hyundai because it's 4-5 K less .. About the only thing you can hope for in this Global Economy is at least Let the Parent Company Keep their Profits where they are based .. Honda is a fine motorcycle but any way you look at it Profits of the Company go to Japan .. Far as I know No Honda's are even assembled in the US anymore since 2006 ..

·
1,956 Posts
Yeah, but all you guys who are bitching about imported products seem to forget that America EXPORTS it's stuff all over the world. I live in Australia but I ride an Indian and mow my grass with a Toro. I also run a business that sells 100% American made plastic molded products. Most of my computer software is American too....... It's all give and take.

·
Registered
132 Posts
while I sympathize with the sentiment the facts are its global now and we are competing. I have lots of metric tools and right now I'm listening to my korean tv. wtf over. Got an f150 and a tiffin motorhome made in Alabama that has panasonic tv's. The chinese hose is disappointing but whats the alternative bike???? My roadmaster is really really nice.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I don't like seeing Made in China on things I buy, but you just can't get away from it. I have paid more for USA made goods when there is an option, but you don't get an option on everything. For example, when I needed new tires for one of my hay wagons (these are special balloon, ribbed tires), I tried to find USA made tires...guess what...they are no longer made here. I ended up buying Chinese made tires that look exactly like the Firestone's that I was replacing. I'm getting too old to lose sleep over it anymore, and for how ever many years I have left to ride, that's where I'll focus my attention. You young guys can carry on the fight.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Why do Americans choose to retire in other countries....taxes. Value of the dollar here... Is what, 5 cents?
When I retired in 2008, I thought about moving to another country, but gave it up when the wife refused to go where she didn't feel safe. I wouldn't have been able to take my arsenal for protection, so moved to Tennessee where the cost of living is lower than Ohio...and everybody has an arsenal.

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
First, It seems to me that Indian spouted that the Chief models were like 98% American made and some electrical components came from Canada (or something to that effect). I haven't heard that type of talk about the Scout as of yet. This is probably why it has been so hard to get the number of accessory parts for our bikes too.
Back in the 70's, we often heard that we should buy American products, and to look for the Union label. This was because when we bought Japanese, Taiwan and Chinese products, we slowly took the jobs away from American companies and many, many American companies died along with jobs. As a consumer back then we understood that, but the bottom line was the consumer's pocket money. When you could buy a similar product for less, and it seemed nearly as good, why spend more? American industry and jobs is the answer. American consumers opened the floodgates from foreign counties.
I remember in 1978 when I was working in a factory, Japanese people would come and tour the plant. They would take all kinds of pictures. We had no rules or thoughts of them copying (not much anyway). They went back and reproduced what we could have sold them. That company is no longer in business.
To buy 100% American was easy in the 70's and 80's. Not so much anymore.

·
Founding member
1,522 Posts
Dont know if anyone saw this but in Nick's review of the scout if you blow up the picture of the engine which shows the smog sticker on the radiator you can see the water hose with the words made in China in bold letters on it. Man I wish they would have use a made in the USA hose but maybe there is no hose made in the USA anymore. Im going to have to clean those letters off!!
Let's get off politics and talk about riding motorcycles. If you are reading this then we have at least one very big thing in common, we ride them. Why do we ride? For me it's the feeling of freedom. It's not what brand or where it's made that matters, any machine can set you free.

·
Founding member
1,147 Posts
Wow, all this because of a Made in China hose.... Haha

I just hope we get enough nice days this winter to make the wait on Spring not seem too long!

Peace

·
Founding member
1,522 Posts
You will never be happy if what other people's approval is important. I buy and do what I want and what you think doesn't matter to me. If you don't want to own a Indian then don't.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Get your money back!!! A Chinese hose!!! OMG!!! Walk or ride a horse and you can be sure its all American made. All this rant and you admit not doing any research on the bike. Buy another Harley or even a BMW because you have been as much a cause of the problem you are bitching about as most of the rest of us. Thousands of manufacturing, and good paying, jobs in the U.S. are going begging because we have taught our children that a university degree will make them better people even though they could make more if they would just "WORK" for a living. Now that I have stirred the pot, I`m done. ENJOY THE RIDE, DON`T WORRY ABOUT THE DESTINATION------OR THE MANUFACTURER.

Reactions: SaltyDogSam

·
Registered
132 Posts
uh oh !! you said the w word. Heaven forbid ; I thought everything was just given to them. I wish I could buy american and also keep local shops going but in my town there arent many left. Darn near everything is global. I really like the RM and havent seen the dreaded hose yet.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts