Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Rider
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have some motorcycle luggage that attaches to the riders’s backrest on a Chieftain? I have a 2019 Chieftain Limited with the Roadmaster seat on it and the studded rider’s backrest. I would like to set a piece of luggage on the passenger seat and attach it to the rider’s backrest somehow. I don’t really want to use a sissy bar and have to leave my filler strips that go between the fender and saddlebags behind on a long trip.

·
Bronze Member
1,701 Posts
I haven't seen one like that available, but maybe there is. I have a universal style T-bag with velcro straps that is no longer manufactured that at times when I left without the passenger backrest, I have mounted it to the drivers backrest and strapped it down to the luggage spools. The majority of the time when I am using it however, I have the passenger backrest on and attach it there.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I use a Kuryakyn Momentum bag for road trips. You can secure it to your passenger seat or spin it onto the luggage rack. Ive been really happy with it. I use the sissy bar but there should be no reason you couldn't secure it to your riders backrest. Check them out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a Kuryakyn bag as well that I use straps to secure....to the rear highway bars and the rear to the luggage rack. I found I needed a piece of plywood in the bottom of the bag so cinching down the straps good and tight doesn't pull the bag out of shape.

·
Rider
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I am going to be the guinea pig:) I just ordered a Saddlemen CD3600. It has an adjustable pouch that is made to slip over the sissy bar for installation. I am going to try to install it over the rider’s backrest instead and let the bag rest on the rear seat. I should then be able to cinch it down to the rear highway bars on each side. Fingers crossed.:unsure:

·
Rider
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WOW I ordered the luggage from MotoMummy on Sunday night and I already have a tracking number and it should be at the house on Wednesday.

Reactions: BHlvr

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have just purchased the saddlemen br3400. The Whole over the sissybar velcro system isn't big enough for the indian sissybar pad. but they give you tons of straps and such that attaching her was still a breeze. good luck and let me know if you figure something out w the sleeve I couldn't.

·
Rider
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do not plan on attaching it to the passenger sissy bar or pad. I plan on trying to turn it backwards, rest it on the passenger seat, and hopefully attach it to the RIDER’s backrest via the sleeve.

Reactions: parider

·
Registered
321 Posts
My opinion/experience (I do a 2 week bike trip each year), that will not be stable enough to avoid it falling right off the bike the first time you turn. You'll have to use a couple bungee cords in addition, the passenger footpegs are a possible bungee point if you can't access the saddlebag supports. I have to bungee similar bags even with a tall passenger backrest and luggage rack...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought a waterproof duffle On Amazon for $50ish bucks. 40L. It has multiple straps and connection points so it can be secured in different ways. Picture shows two of them stacked on my back rack (1 for me and 1 for wife). It would work well sitting on the passenger seat and strapped down. Easy to get off and shoulder strap into your hotel each night.
36F30D7F-3243-4FD6-A411-2855C816F631.jpeg

·
Registered
422 Posts
I do not plan on attaching it to the passenger sissy bar or pad. I plan on trying to turn it backwards, rest it on the passenger seat, and hopefully attach it to the RIDER’s backrest via the sleeve.
ah got it. this thing comes w tons of attachment options. yours should as well. I don't see that being a problem. wanna see how this works. that's a huge bag ha

·
Rider
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well the sleeve barely fits over the rider’s backrest. I am glad it was not any wider. As said in a post above it alone is not near stable enough. It came with some straps that will reach the rear highway bars but then the straps lay against the paint on the saddlebag lids. I am going to order some rok straps that will reach the passenger footrest mounts and hopefully that will get the straps off of the paint on the lids. Overall I think it is going to work out ok. Here are some pictures.
E279A7D6-A6E8-462E-A33F-DCD6C4EC71ED.jpeg
7E9C6F10-0B2D-49D4-967A-FDEBAC2CE1F9.jpeg
B871FDD1-6367-4CD3-B6B0-C3D0317D3382.jpeg
8ED48A7E-F987-470C-8FBD-A54593481220.jpeg
A03311C6-346F-47F9-85C6-C5FEFCCB3EF1.jpeg

·
Registered
326 Posts
Just a thought. Any place it gets close to the paint cut the toe out of an old pair of socks and put the straps through it. I’ve done that twice on tiedowns against my front fender and it worked well.

·
Rider
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Some of the Saddlemen kits come with a yoke that fits under your seat and provides some solid attachment points.
This bag did not come with the under seat yoke but you can buy it separately from them. I thought about going that route but when you get where you are going and remove the bag you will either have to remove the seat to remove the yoke or live with the attachment points dangling from under the seat. My goal is to be able to travel with the bag and when I remove it the bike looks just like it did before. I ordered the ROK Straps so we will see how that does.

·
Rider
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
One thing about this Saddlemen bag that I want everyone to be aware of. I went to throw away the box it came in today and noticed MADE IN CHINA on the side of it. I don’t guess it should really surprise me but I can’t help but be somewhat disappointed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well the sleeve barely fits over the rider’s backrest. I am glad it was not any wider. As said in a post above it alone is not near stable enough. It came with some straps that will reach the rear highway bars but then the straps lay against the paint on the saddlebag lids. I am going to order some rok straps that will reach the passenger footrest mounts and hopefully that will get the straps off of the paint on the lids. Overall I think it is going to work out ok. Here are some pictures.
View attachment 587542 View attachment 587543 View attachment 587544 View attachment 587545 View attachment 587546
T-Roy:
How'd you like your saddle bag speakers? Did you hear the sound is "surrounding" you while riding?

I am seriously getting it, but they the speaker cover is on B/O.

Stay safe and healthy.

Cheers

·
Rider
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
T-Roy:
How'd you like your saddle bag speakers? Did you hear the sound is "surrounding" you while riding?

I am seriously getting it, but they the speaker cover is on B/O.

Stay safe and healthy.

Cheers
I love the power band audio and saddlebag speakers. Just make sure to adjust the fade setting and then the audio will surround you. The bike in the pictures with the luggage is my wife’s bike. Hers has the chrome speaker bezels and mine has the black. Here is a picture of both bikes. If you zoom in you can see them both.
5AB9B997-569A-4532-929D-FE97FB0BD7F8.jpeg

Reactions: monkey28

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks for the reply! That's a mobile concert when you two riding at the same time!!

Looks like I need to get one when Indian have those speak cover in stock.

Cheers,

1 - 20 of 20 Posts