Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Vendor / bronze
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a nice email from a customer about our lowers we make for the 111 bikes. Lowers seem to do a lot to improve the ride on these bikes. I think any brand will help but of course you should get yours here....LINK:https://www.indianaftermarket.com/111-fork-lowers.html

Here is the customers comments: Marcus,
Just put your lowers on my Springfield. Very easy install.
Thank you for a great product. Totally improved the turbulence behind my windscreen. Virtually no head buffeting between 70-80 mph. Less wind noise. Hearing my Bluetooth music much clearer.
The air to the jugs seemed to be directed right at them.
They look pretty good also. Not out of place. Very happy I purchased your product. Thank you Marcus.

Attachments

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
Duces, I think you will find that as a Supporting Vendor that vendor is allowed to promote their products as much and any where they wish. They do pay for that along with paying for the privilege they are helping keep this forum going , by contributing towards the cost of running it. If your not in favour of Marcus or any other vendor supporting or promoting their products ,just don't look at their threads.
(Problem solved.) Keep in mind I don't know Marcus or any other Vendor on here and live on the opposite side of the world, and drive on the correct side of the road lol. I don't have any financial gain to be made from this comment .Sorry if it offends you but it is what it is.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Helmet buffet (at least on the Springfield) is a recurring theme here. Given all of the threads about it, and what I have heard from others, you might think it a mysterious effect only cured by witches and alchemists. Even the dealer won't admit to it.

The windshield creates a low pressure zone directly behind it and upwelling air fills in on both sides causing the buffet. You can feel it upwelling if you put your hands, palm down, near your knees at buffet onset speed.

The fix is lowers and they should be included as standard with every purchase. Simply put, this is not a long haul machine without them. IMO, LED driving/aux lights, an aftermarket airhorn and the lowers are an absolute necessity if you are planning any long haul events.

I put these on incrementally and only after it became abundantly (and painfully) clear that I needed them. Next time (if there is one) there will be no hesitation.

·
Rider
816 Posts
Feedback from customers is invaluable and sharing that feedback is helpful to us when we are looking for a product. Thanks for for all your work Marcus making products to help make our riding even more enjoyable.

Reactions: Marcus

·
Rider
481 Posts
Helmet buffet (at least on the Springfield) is a recurring theme here. Given all of the threads about it, and what I have heard from others, you might think it a mysterious effect only cured by witches and alchemists. Even the dealer won't admit to it.

The windshield creates a low pressure zone directly behind it and upwelling air fills in on both sides causing the buffet. You can feel it upwelling if you put your hands, palm down, near your knees at buffet onset speed.

The fix is lowers and they should be included as standard with every purchase. Simply put, this is not a long haul machine without them. IMO, LED driving/aux lights, an aftermarket airhorn and the lowers are an absolute necessity if you are planning any long haul events.

I put these on incrementally and only after it became abundantly (and painfully) clear that I needed them. Next time (if there is one) there will be no hesitation.
I disagree with this outlook. It's not a design issue, buffeting occur on all kinds of bikes. Bikes can't possibly come ergonomically setup for every rider. You have to make the bike fit you via seats, bars and sometimes lower wind deflectors. Indian sells all of these products. Some need 'em some don't. None of these items addresses the various expectations of different riders. Some people expect zero wind behind a windscreen or fairing, others don't mind a bit of wind movement as part of the experience. I don't like how the wind during certain times of the year renders my heated grips useless. Not a design flaw and I don't expect Indian to include hand guards as a stock item. I found some that worked and bought them. I did a 3500mi. trip on my SF recently with no lower wind deflectors and it was just fine I'm 5'7" YMMV

·
Vendor / bronze
2,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
i understand you are trying to run a buisness and get your name out there. But the constant self promoting every where is getting a little old. might try actually using the section they gave you for your company. https://www.indianmotorcycles.net/forums/indianaftermarket-com.94/
Duces, I am sorry if my posts annoy you. There are very few after market products available for the Indians. I offer quite a few and want to make people aware of this. I pay a fee to do this. But if you notice I am careful to offer general information also. I also pointed out that any brand of lower is likely to be helpful. This email from a customer explains how lowers helped him a lot. There are many riders that can use the info to solve their own issues. That is the best feature of this forum. It offers info how to improve the use and looks of our bikes. I learn a lot here. In fact I designed the lowers because of complaints by customers. I personally did not see the point. But once I started making prototypes and testing them I began to understand the value. I took great care to make them guide the wind in ways that relieve the buffeting and help cool the engine. From this customer's testimony it seems that he agrees. This problem is very common and offering a solution, I feel is helpful. So far I rarely make anyone buy my products. You have to bother to read the thread, go to the website, get out your credit card and commit money. Then you have wait on your front porch until it shows up. You are welcome to block me and not read my self-promoting threads. But then (more self-promoting) you would not have access to the 2nd largest offering of after market products. I believe Kuryakyn has more than we do.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I disagree with this outlook. It's not a design issue, buffeting occur on all kinds of bikes.
It sure does. But, it really boils down to simple physics, it's what makes carburetors suck fuel and airplanes fly.... forcing the windshield through the air crates a low pressure zone behind the shield and air will upwell into the lower pressure. Maybe we can both agree to blame Daniel Bernoulli for it eh? Different designs have different onset speeds. I cut my shield down 2 inches simply because I'm 5' 8" and wanted to be able to see over it. There was no change in onset speed or degree of buffet.

If you can put in a thousand miles a day on a Springfield with no lowers on it (at highway/interstate speeds) then hats off to you. I was seeing double after an hour of that. In addition, the OEM horn isn't loud enough and the lights don't work at night. I'm partial to the Buffalo airhorn and Custom Dynamics LED lights.... but that's just me. Cheers

·
Registered
62 Posts
It sure does. But, it really boils down to simple physics, it's what makes carburetors suck fuel and airplanes fly.... forcing the windshield through the air crates a low pressure zone behind the shield and air will upwell into the lower pressure. Maybe we can both agree to blame Daniel Bernoulli for it eh? Different designs have different onset speeds. I cut my shield down 2 inches simply because I'm 5' 8" and wanted to be able to see over it. There was no change in onset speed or degree of buffet.

If you can put in a thousand miles a day on a Springfield with no lowers on it (at highway/interstate speeds) then hats off to you. I was seeing double after an hour of that. In addition, the OEM horn isn't loud enough and the lights don't work at night. I'm partial to the Buffalo airhorn and Custom Dynamics LED lights.... but that's just me. Cheers
I'm still trying to figure out the sweet spot myself. I have a Chief Dark Horse that I just got back from my first long, multi-day trip on. Prior to this trip, I scoured this forum and did a LOT of homework. I purchased a 16" Freedom shield that I mounted to OEM quick release hardware that I picked up used. Thought this would be the proper fit for my 6' tall frame but was deeply disappointed after I took the bike for a hot lap prior to this trip. First run was with the windshield mounted and my helmet head was in extreme turbulence. They do not make a product over the counter or prescription that would cure the headache this would have caused. Kind of like riding an old wooden coaster.
Then I removed the windshield and did the same hot lap, and it was sooooo much smoother!

I elected to run the 1000mi trip without a windshield because of this, but after a while my tailbone sure was sore. I'm seriously considering 'fixing' this with a driver backrest rather than the perpetual trial and error of the windscreen sweet spot. I'm sure lowers would probably be a swell companion to my freedom shield, but I have not seen any quick release lowers yet. I ride 96.3% of the time without a windshield, and I think lowers would look goofy without a windshield up top...

·
Registered
144 Posts
I ride 96.3% of the time without a windshield, and I think lowers would look goofy without a windshield up top...
I likely wouldn't invest in lowers for a 3.7% return either. I have the windshield off (mostly) around town and on for the highway; the lowers remain on continuously and look fine IMO.

The vast majority of my riding is highway and most of that long distance/high speed. On the Springfield, the requirement for lowers is a simple reality as they solve (mostly) all of the upwelling that causes the buffet (at the speeds I run at). To me, there is simply no debate... if you plan to do long haul, high speed with the windshield on you need the lowers to do it comfortably.

Long haul riding (IMO) is about limiting "discomfort" as apposed to seeking the elusive nirvana of perfection (it's an expensive quest) and vibration is one of a short list of true enemies. Anyone who can do thousand miles a day at interstate speeds on a Springfield without lowers has my utmost respect.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts