Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Springfield. First of all....Love the bike! I'm vertically challenged...5' 4". I've already installed the Reduced Reach seat. I want to get my feet flatter on the ground so I've been thinking of having the bike lowered. Here is my worry. I used to own a 2005 Yamaha Roadstar Silverado. I had it lowered 1 1/2". The problem I had with that was if I hit a good bump or dip in the road (Florida Has Them) I would bottom out pretty bad. I'm worried if I get the bike lowered I'll have the same problem. I was thinking I could put 10 pounds in the shock and that might solve that problem but it would make the ride rougher. Any thoughts or advise? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Why are you and I even up this time of the morning :). I'm 5-10 on an RM. I understand about our roads in FL. My concern over lowering is affecting lean angle. I'm already scraping my bags occasionally and have had it for less than 2 weeks.

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
29" Inseam and No Way going to Lose what lean angle I have Stock .. Luckily for me close to 40 Years of Lots of Stair Climbing back and forth on the Ships gave me fairly strong ankles even if I have to tip toe now and then ..

CDHDragon.jpg

·
Bronze member
1,839 Posts
Plenty of threads on here. Probably was 50-50... As to whether the scraped at all, a little or a lot. I think it also depends on how aggressive a rider you are in corners turns.etc. I do not recall.any of them talking bottoming out over bumps. Just scraping the pipes.
I am going to do the rear of my Roadmaster via dog bones lowering the rear 1-1&1/2 "'s
I also have Rox riser coming to pull the bars closer to me. A thread about that on here too.

Reactions: JayFL459

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why are you and I even up this time of the morning :). I'm 5-10 on an RM. I understand about our roads in FL. My concern over lowering is affecting lean angle. I'm already scraping my bags occasionally and have had it for less than 2 weeks.
Long story with a cat getting sick on the bathroom floor. :eek: I'm not a too aggressive rider but I did drag the floor boards a lot with my Roadstar.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
29" Inseam and No Way going to Lose what lean angle I have Stock .. Luckily for me close to 40 Years of Lots of Stair Climbing back and forth on the Ships gave me fairly strong ankles even if I have to tip toe now and then ..

View attachment 403312
That's one of the problems I'm looking at. I really don't want to loose the lean angle also but if I do lower it there's no way around it. I've found that tip toeing is one thing but backing up is a whole other experience.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Plenty of threads on here. Probably was 50-50... As to whether the scraped at all, a little or a lot. I think it also depends on how aggressive a rider you are in corners turns.etc. I do not recall.any of them talking bottoming out over bumps. Just scraping the pipes.
I am going to do the rear of my Roadmaster via dog bones lowering the rear 1-1&1/2 "'s
I also have Rox riser coming to pull the bars closer to me. A thread about that on here too.
Thanks for the reply.....I'm going to have to do some real thinking on this one. One other problem is I've been looking at the J&S jack and if it will roll under it lowered.

·
Bronze member
1,839 Posts
Thanks for the reply.....I'm going to have to do some real thinking on this one. One other problem is I've been looking at the J&S jack and if it will roll under it lowered.
That may become an issue once lowered, as I think they use brackets on the jack meant for our Indians. I have a '17 Roadmaster, but had a previous Harbor Freight bike jack for my old lighter bikes I used to have. I had to get some hockey pucks to use to lift mine, I am not sure if I will be able to still after I lower the rear, it's gonna be close. Some have lowered already, so I am sure they will chime in.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Arlen Ness offers an adjustable shock. Both shock height and preload are adjustable. That might help finding a good compromise for your personal needs.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
A lady rider I spoke with a couple of years ago in Leesburg. She was 5'2" and was having a seat upholstery vendor redo the foam - making the seat narrower so she could put her feet flat on the ground.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That may become an issue once lowered, as I think they use brackets on the jack meant for our Indians. I have a '17 Roadmaster, but had a previous Harbor Freight bike jack for my old lighter bikes I used to have. I had to get some hockey pucks to use to lift mine, I am not sure if I will be able to still after I lower the rear, it's gonna be close. Some have lowered already, so I am sure they will chime in.
Thanks....That was what I was worried about. With my lowered Roadstar I used the Craftsman Professional aluminum jack and it fit. Can't use it with the Springfield though.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A lady rider I spoke with a couple of years ago in Leesburg. She was 5'2" and was having a seat upholstery vendor redo the foam - making the seat narrower so she could put her feet flat on the ground.
That was something I was thinking about also.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
It lowers your bike an inch and a half in the back, I lowered mine and haven't scraped anything.........remember that 111 isn't a canyon carver, it's a cruzer............

·
Registered
21 Posts
Go to Vics Baggers and get the 1.5 lowering brackets which are under 75 bucks I think.. I have them on my chief classic and have no issues with bumps or anything and it handles better to me.. Very easy to put on just take your time and it will help for sure..

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It lowers your bike an inch and a half in the back, I lowered mine and haven't scraped anything.........remember that 111 isn't a canyon carver, it's a cruzer............
Thanks......A cruzer it is no doubt. Did you put any more air in your shock or did you leave it as-is?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Go to Vics Baggers and get the 1.5 lowering brackets which are under 75 bucks I think.. I have them on my chief classic and have no issues with bumps or anything and it handles better to me.. Very easy to put on just take your time and it will help for sure..
Thanks, I'll check them out. I doubt that if I do it I'll install them myself though. Sorry to say, I'll probably be paying someone to do the work.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts