Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I've been thinking of adding the lower fairings to my Indian SDH 18 with my mustache bars. I found this after market on Amazon. Anyone have experience with them? They supposedly will fit this bike. One reviewer said they fit fine with some adjustment to the turn signals.

They claim the style is just like oem but only $225. Too good to be true?

I've seen only a couple pics of this done with other owners. Kinda like the look.

Amazon.com: XFMT Black Hard Lower Vented Fairing Inner Kit Compatible with Indian Chieftain 2014-2016 2018 15: Automotive

·
Rider
441 Posts
If you like the look and can make them work {the installation} at that price I'd say go for it but be sure and get back to us with pics but...

Methhinks you are searching for a solution for which there is no known problem {the government does this a lot}. Are you getting too much wind/buffeting? I added JES SS wind deflectors {$170} with a 5 minute install consisting of 4 bolts and now get zero, zip, nada, buffeting and added just a few ounces of weight to the front end. One of the reason Springfields handle so well is the lack of extra weight on the front end and you may be about to change the dynamic.

The pic shows the deflectors directly below the driving lights paralleling the forks - the pic was taken on the north side of the Salt River Canyon about 45 miles north of Globe AZ:

Good luck!

:cool:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Cap! I already have the same deflectors. Still get buffeting. I also have prescription glasses and use a half helmet. Not sure where the buffeting is coming from. probably a combo of a few things.

I saw a couple of pics of Sprignfields with this lower fairing and thought it looked good. You maybe right about the extra weight. I'm not sure about the look but think it may give it a nice retro feel.

Here's some pics of what I found:

·
Registered
323 Posts
Did you ever do it? How did it work out for you? I'm thinking of getting the same ones for cold weather riding.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I'm on the fence as well. I think they'll be good for cooler temps, but really I've made it this far with out them. My hands get colder than anything else anyway. Don't know, might do it anyway.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm on the fence as well. I think they'll be good for cooler temps, but really I've made it this far with out them. My hands get colder than anything else anyway. Don't know, might do it anyway.
Get your self some good quality heated grips, you will never regreat it!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Sure to keep you dry in the rain.
Hey guys. I installed the hard lower fairings on my Springfield for a recent trip from central Florida to Birmingham Alabama. Wind protection was excellent. However, ran into heavy rain on the way home and they didn't work so well. The storage compartments got water in them and the rain seemed to make its way around remnants my legs. I've had better results with the soft lowers that attach to the crash bar.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Thanks for the review. I wonder if you could seal up the compartments? That’s strange the rain protection wasn’t any better than that. Do you have a picture?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thx. I've had some sitting around forever contemplating how good they would be. Going to throw them on today & see.

Reactions: lugnut1009

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Wind buffeting drives me crazy! Took all the joy out of riding my old BMW R100RT. Did a lot of work on that windshield to smooth out the wind flow.

When I got my Springfield it wasn't as bad, but still there. So I got the stock Indian plexiglass lowers that fit on the fork and replaced the stock windshield with the 14 inch Freedom Shield. Other people in this forum have recommended these and they worked nicely for me.

Now I can cruse in quiet comfort (if I ignore the Rineharts :cool:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts