Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this notion of installing/adapting a pair of HD Ultra Classic lower leg fairings, painted to match my RED Chieftain. Believe it will work. Thoughts?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wcato3, will let you know if this works. First, I have to determine whether the bast*rdized lower fairing will CLEAR
the Chieftain's flared trailing skirt of the front fender. If there is room, all downhill for the adaptive install. Happy New Year to you and
yours.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I would also be interested in fairing lowers for my bike. I look forward to progress reports and pics.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not a lowers guy myself but I know a lot of guys like em'. I'd bet Indian will have them soon.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
indian does sell lowers. the last ad i got from them had them for around 225 dollars . no pic of them . to mount it said you had to drill holes in the fairing.http://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-us/chieftain-motorcycle/customize?wt.mc_id=7E0FDFE4-BC74-E311-8B13-0050569A00BC&wt.mc_ev=email&WT.mc_id=#KitIDs=717&SubcategoryID=26&InitialLoad=true&hist=5a9e325a-2082-4f08-0f9f-a8fc54188561
thats what popped up when i copied & pasted
http://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-us/chieftain-motorcycle/customize?wt.mc_id=7E0FDFE4-BC74-E311-8B13-0050569A00BC&wt.mc_ev=email&WT.mc_id=#KitIDs=717&SubcategoryID=26&InitialLoad=true&hist=5a9e325a-2082-4f08-0f9f-a8fc54188561
tried twice

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
20231 said:
'Downgrade' your Indian with HD parts? LOL
You have a point. I definitely would have to see them on a Chieftain, painted properly, in order to consider doing it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
14125 said:
Not sure what that is although I'd guess those are little, adjustable air wings located ON the upper fairing. No way, for $225, those are hard lowers. 10x that, maybe. I'll bet EACH lower is between $600-$1000.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Indian has hard lowers for 225.00 will buy a set and find a way to make them work on my XC :) Maybe even buy 6 sets and get rich LOL

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
From Indians web site:

Enhance your comfort and enjoy protection against the elements with a set of Clear Fairing Mount Wind Deflectors on your Indian® Chieftain™ Motorcycle. These deflectors block wind, rain and road hazards such as rocks or gravel kicked up by other vehicles. With these deflectors blocking wind, you ride in greater comfort and stay fresher during full days on your Indian® Chieftain™ motorcycle. These are strong, durable deflectors that are easy to clean and are styled to integrate with the great look of your motorcycle. They install at the base of the Indian® Chieftain™ fairing.
Color: Clear deflector panels and chrome support and mounting hardware
Material: Steel hardware; polycarbonate wind deflector panels
Installation: Drill mounting holes at designated spots in the fairing and install using provided fasteners
Includes: Two wind deflectors and mounting hardware
- See more at: http://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-us/chieftain-motorcycle/customize?wt.mc_id=7E0FDFE4-BC74-E311-8B13-0050569A00BC&wt.mc_ev=email&WT.mc_id=#KitIDs=717&SubcategoryID=26&InitialLoad=true&hist=2a8ffbce-ec3b-48b3-9b17-ee15bcdd7e3c

So it seems these are simply fairing mounted deflectors.

·
Founding member
1,109 Posts
Just installed the Indian lowers on my Chieftain.Not a problem. Use a 1" hole saw at premarked location. I used a Dremil tool with a cut off wheel to remove the small amount of material between the holes. Took longer to gather up my tools than do the install.They are well made and fit perfectly.As for function,I really haven't had a chance to get on the road.Should function just fine.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have this notion of installing/adapting a pair of HD Ultra Classic lower leg fairings, painted to match my RED Chieftain. Believe it will work. Thoughts?
nanners,, why on earth would you want to do that? Is it you want to Add more heat to you motor and legs? or do you think these will redirect air away from your motor and legs?
is it a functional reason for wanting to bugger your bike? Most-many-some hardley fellas take these things off when the days get long and hot.. These do nothing to help cool the motor or your legs.. so why?

if you live in a Northern climate and want to have some leg protection and also get some heat off your motor when riding in cold <50f temps.. consider some engine gard chaps. many folks make these products. www.sagebrushdesigns.com out of canada does custom work. These are functional devices, but only for riding in really cold weather. dont use them above 50f. you and your motor will suffer.

so the question remains,, why? would you want to put something like this on your otherwise gorgeous bike.. it doesnt add to it, but distracts.. poncho

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just installed the Indian lowers on my Chieftain.Not a problem. Use a 1" hole saw at premarked location. I used a Dremil tool with a cut off wheel to remove the small amount of material between the holes. Took longer to gather up my tools than do the install.They are well made and fit perfectly.As for function,I really haven't had a chance to get on the road.Should function just fine.
Get some pictures posted, people want to see them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
And now you'll be able to have genuine Indian colour matched jobbies as fitted to the Roadmaster, at least you'll be able to order them then wait,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
113 Posts
JTD cycle parts makes hard lowers for chieftain bars. Just got me a set. Need to paint them yet. 359.00 with storage compartment.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts