Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Indian Roadmaster Icon
487 Posts
Are you asking if these lower wind deflectors will block too much air from the engine? No, the engine will be fine. But the air from the engine will roll up on you. Had the same set on my Springfield and had to take them off for that reason. JES deflectors don’t look as good, but force MORE air to the engine. You still get more heat on your person because of the low pressure area created. But it’s a trade off, either wind buffeting coming around the tank or extra heat and no buffering…

Reactions: DLC

·
Registered
621 Posts
I've had these on my 16 SF for over a year and haven't experienced any issues. It's like @lugnut1009 said, it's buffeting or some more heat.....take your pick. I choose the heat as the lowers do a nice job of reducing the buffeting. To help reduce the heat issue I put on a Captain Itch crotch cooler and that helps in the summer months.

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Land vehicle Plant

Attachments

·
Founding member
2,377 Posts
How do these compare to the soft deflectors mounted to the crash bars as far as buffeting? The heat could be a bonus for early and late season rides.
I add the soft lowers in the winter months and have done the 30 minute ride to/from work in single digits. They do a great job of keeping the feet warm (not so much by engine heat, but by keeping the cold wind away). For me, there is some added buffeting, but not a lot. It's also worth noting that the added wind resistance of soft lowers will result in a 3-5 MPG decrease.

Buy the upper deflectors to reduce buffeting, buy the soft lowers to extend cold weather riding.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I add the soft lowers in the winter months and have done the 30 minute ride to/from work in single digits. They do a great job of keeping the feet warm (not so much by engine heat, but by keeping the cold wind away). For me, there is some added buffeting, but not a lot. It's also worth noting that the added wind resistance of soft lowers will result in a 3-5 MPG decrease.

Buy the upper deflectors to reduce buffeting, buy the soft lowers to extend cold weather riding.
This is spot on. With the upper deflectors AND the soft lowers I get a little buffeting that I don't get with the soft lowers off. The soft lowers do a nice job of keeping the cold wind off of my feet and lower shins. The upper deflectors stay on all the time.

·
Registered
245 Posts
How do these compare to the soft deflectors mounted to the crash bars as far as buffeting? The heat could be a bonus for early and late season rides.
I keep the soft lowers on all year. No loss of mpg & still let's the motor get plenty of air. No problems with buffeting either. Soft lowers look better too.

Reactions: Dave H

·
Bronze member
3,725 Posts
I made a pair of lowers out of 1/8th thick Lexan,just alittle narrower then the ones shown,which I leave on year round.More then enough aiir still gets by to cool the engine,but my feet still stay cool in the warm weather, warm in cold weather,and dry during any rain.And the cost was about 1/2 hour of my time.But then again,I'm pretty stupid!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts