Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Rider
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Sixty started a slow leak at the stator plug several thousand miles ago, the bike now has 21K on it. I pushed the plug back in, it was tugged out/down by the tight wires. That seemed to help.
Then I decided that if I could mitigate that downward tug by the wires it might help more. What you see is the square end of a chopstick. It is forcing the wires up and holding the plug closer and more squarely.

So yesterday I washed the engine well and rode 90 miles today. This is after getting home. Don't laugh, but if this continues to work, I am going to take a brush and paint the chopstick piece black.

It has stayed in place for about 500 miles at this point, so I'm not concerned it will fall out.

Stator 01.jpg

Stator 02.jpg

·
Rider
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I keep lots of Chopsticks around. Besides being good eating utensils, they are incredibly handy for all kinds of stuff. And if you buy them at an Asian market, they're cheap.

Reactions: riderguy

·
Rider
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They couldn’t spare the expense
I
Does make you wonder, doesn't it? Who's responsible, the bean counters or the engineers?
My daughter works with (civil) engineers in her job with a state hwy dept.
Basically what I get is that engineers don't think like we do. Different mental plane so to speak.

·
Rider
427 Posts
I've been lucky so far with my leak. I just shoved it in with a screwdriver and repositioned the wires under the keeper with a bit more slack (what little was available...)

Can't believe they want $500 for a whole new stator to fix a stupid leak!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts