Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear tire low pressure light comes on while riding. If I shut my bike off and restart it goes off and again sometimes comes back on.

WHY??.

·
Rider
469 Posts
Either the pressure is low, or the sensor is going bad. If it's an original, probably bad sensor.

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
What is the actual pressure reading? It may be that your current pressure is right on the threshold... and simply responding to actual tire pressure changes, or possibly a failing sensor.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,013 Posts
My rear tire low pressure light comes on while riding. If I shut my bike off and restart it goes off and again sometimes comes back on.

WHY??.
The sensor battery is getting weak. Mine did the same thing. Replaced mine and everything is good again. Dean

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
The sensor battery is getting weak. Mine did the same thing. Replaced mine and everything is good again. Dean
Agree with this. Scroll to the tire pressures and if a "--" is displayed instead of an actual value, the TPMS batteries are dying and are not sending pressure information to the computer so it shows up as a fault and the TPMS light is illuminated.

Your best value will be to replace the sensors when you change your tire as you'll combine the labor costs in removing, replacing and balancing your tires. I think Geoff recently posted the part number for an aftermarket sensor if you want to save some money. If I recall correctly, Indian charges somewhere around $200 each installed. Could be a little off.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts

WHY??.
Mine too mechanic says battery in sensor bad. Too expensive to just change . Will change when get new tire I guess

·
Rider
1,022 Posts
Yup, had mine changed last year on my 2016 Roadmaster under warranty. Had a new rear tire installed with free labor.

The front one is starting to act up now.

--
Gordon

·
Bronze member
4,666 Posts
Mine has been doing the same thing since April. When it first happened I stopped and checked the tyre and it was OK. I got going again with no light and later in the day it comes on again.

On some days it's OK when I take off then a half hour later the light comes on. We stop for coffee and it's OK, then comes on down the road. We stop for lunch and it's OK again .... and on and on with every stop. When it talks to the bike again it's clear that the pressure is not low.

The dealer said it was low tyre pressure so they pumped them up. That was plain wrong.

When it happened next I stopped and took some pics without turning the bike off. I went in with the pics showing the light on and both front and rear tyre pressures reading where they should be. I booked the bike in for a service and 2 new tyres and asked them to check the sensor when the wheel was off the bike. I picked the bike up and was told, 'low pressure'. 'Keep an eye on it' they said, and 'bring it back again if it starts playing up'.

It's clear that the sensor and the bike are not communicating, then it picks up contact again. My warranty runs out at the end of the year so I'm expecting it to fail often enough that I can get them to put in a new one before then.

Here you are, the warning light on and both tyres with good pressure after riding for an hour or so.

upload_2019-9-3_19-13-34.png
upload_2019-9-3_19-13-47.png

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,013 Posts
Agree with this. Scroll to the tire pressures and if a "--" is displayed instead of an actual value, the TPMS batteries are dying and are not sending pressure information to the computer so it shows up as a fault and the TPMS light is illuminated.

Your best value will be to replace the sensors when you change your tire as you'll combine the labor costs in removing, replacing and balancing your tires. I think Geoff recently posted the part number for an aftermarket sensor if you want to save some money. If I recall correctly, Indian charges somewhere around $200 each installed. Could be a little off.
I agree, if you do it yourself you can get a TPMS learning tool from Amazon. Get the one that works on GM vehicles and the relearning in on the main menu under TPMS. Just remember that the sensors are 180 degrees from the tire stem. Put the bike on a jack and get both sensors in easy reach. Put the learning tool right next to the rubber not the rim to get thru the learning procedure. Not too hard to do. Dean

1 - 9 of 9 Posts