Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
First off, I’m new here and greatful to have this resource. Thanks in advance for your help.
Picked up a 2018 Bobber a week and a half ago. I’m about to take it in for the 500 ‘bend over’.
At 387 I checked the oil exactly as directed. It barely registered on the dipstick. Tried it hot, tried it cold, ran it for 30 seconds, rode it around and then checked. Each time, same result. Took it to dealer. Mech said he added 1/2qt. Says most of the oil is in the other chamber so even when it’s a little low it can look really low. Watched him check the oil exactly the way I did (sitting on bike, bike level) and dip stick read full after supposedly adding only 1/2qt.
BS or no BS?
Thanks again

·
Registered
473 Posts
My wife Scout came with low break in oil too. I just topped it of with 1/4 quart and changed at 500 miles. You really should wait for the 500 miles as there are additives in the oil. When I dropped the oil in my bike and wife's bike it had a green color to it. This is very typical of break in oil. You can change earlier but I wouldn't. I would never pay the dealership for something I can do for myself. Give the oil change a try yourself, you may learn something.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Has been my experience that it sucks checking the oil on the Indians.........the procedure for my wife's Scout and my Chieftain are different and it seems like I never get the same result. I no longer fret over it and have taken advice from some members here...........I now just change the oil and dump in everything that came in the box. No overfill or low oil issues for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Has been my experience that it sucks checking the oil on the Indians.........the procedure for my wife's Scout and my Chieftain are different and it seems like I never get the same result. I no longer fret over it and have taken advice from some members here...........I now just change the oil and dump in everything that came in the box. No overfill or low oil issues for me.
Ok. Haven’t decided if I’m going to do the first oil change myself or not. But will assume from now on the dipstick is useless and as long as I’m not smoking or spotting, I’m good between changes. Kinda ridiculous but oh, well.
Thanks for the tip

·
Silver member
5,038 Posts
My advice is: it's the first 500 miles. If it has incorrect oil then blow it up and they will replace it. Most guys freak out on both bikes, overfill, and blow out the seals.

Dry sumps are strange. Just ride it and see what service says. Personally, with 10K on mine, I have checked the oil absolutely zero times. TS111.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts