Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Just did my oil change and I had about half the oil come out as I'd put in on my last change... I'm wondering where it all went???
'18 Springfield DarkHorse, did the 500mi oil change at ~700ish and used Amsoil with an Amsoil filter. Just dropped it tonight at ~7300mi and not even a full 3 quarts came out.

I don't baby the bike, but I don't constantly keep it at redline either. Generally a good mix of hard acceleration and low RPM cruising around town, and keep the bike between 75-85 on the highways, unless traffic keeps me slower.

Based on all I've read on the forums here, these motors generally don't use oil (at least not that much), and everyone says it's a pain to check the oil and to not worry about it...so I'm a bit stumped as to where my oil has gone.

After I changed the oil tonight, I pulled the air cleaner and did see some oil in there (one small section of the element was dark brown), but it wasn't dripping. Anyone have any ideas on this one? I still need to send the sample I took before dropping the oil off for analysis to see what's going on, so those results are pending. Thanks in advance!

·
Bronze member
4,585 Posts
Hey guys,
Just did my oil change and I had about half the oil come out as I'd put in on my last change... I'm wondering where it all went???
'18 Springfield DarkHorse, did the 500mi oil change at ~700ish and used Amsoil with an Amsoil filter. Just dropped it tonight at ~7300mi and not even a full 3 quarts came out.

I don't baby the bike, but I don't constantly keep it at redline either. Generally a good mix of hard acceleration and low RPM cruising around town, and keep the bike between 75-85 on the highways, unless traffic keeps me slower.

Based on all I've read on the forums here, these motors generally don't use oil (at least not that much), and everyone says it's a pain to check the oil and to not worry about it...so I'm a bit stumped as to where my oil has gone.

After I changed the oil tonight, I pulled the air cleaner and did see some oil in there (one small section of the element was dark brown), but it wasn't dripping. Anyone have any ideas on this one? I still need to send the sample I took before dropping the oil off for analysis to see what's going on, so those results are pending. Thanks in advance!

Obvious questions, did you pull both oil drains, was the bike hot or cold when you changed it?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, both plugs pulled, let it drain for probably about a half hour (until nothing was coming out anymore), and I dropped it within 10-15min of getting back from running an errand across town. I even uprighted the bike and put it back on the stand a couple times, just in case.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Same here - now just over 36K miles, and oil usage has been consistent the whole time.
I end up adding a pint or so every 1000-1500 miles. I don't keep it at the 5.5 mark, closer to 5.0 to prevent repeat air filter oil (happened early on). Sounds like we have similar riding styles, and the exact same bike - don't know what that means. A buddy of mine reminds me: oil is cheap (comparatively speaking) and maybe that fine mist helps to prevent rust in the exhaust system. :unsure::LOL:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I mainly just want to make sure nothing catastrophic is going on/has happened inside the motor, considering so many people swear that these engines don't use oil. I wasn't planning on punching out the motor until after it was paid off, but maybe I need to pull that trigger early...? :unsure::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I should also add, that even with the significant drop in oil level between changes, I've never gotten any kind of low oil level/pressure warning, so I don't think it's ever starved.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys,

Im have same problem and indian dealer mecanic diagnos said is to hight rmp this motor is not made for high rpm im ask whats is max rpm for this no good anser to mi this engines need more ventilation due oil goes on intake that you bike is burning oil from intake check you air filter and will found is wet

·
Silver member
5,276 Posts
Im have same problem and indian dealer mecanic diagnos said is to hight rmp this motor is not made for high rpm im ask whats is max rpm for this no good anser to mi this engines need more ventilation due oil goes on intake that you bike is burning oil from intake check you air filter and will found is wet
Complete nonsense. I think I answered your question on FB.

Reactions: THOR504

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess to circle back to this, I haven't checked the oil yet since my St. Louis trip, but I have probably close to 3k on clock since the oil change - so it's on the to-do list, I just need to dig out my wheel chock to keep the bike vertical. I did notice while checking the air filter right after the oil change that it had some oil residue in it...can't remember if I'd mentioned that in my OP. I checked it again a couple weeks later and there was an oil film inside the plastic 'hat' of the filter element again, so it's definitely being sucked into the motor through the throttlebody.

I have been wondering though - especially after seeing a bunch of intake mod threads - has anyone thought about using an oil catch can? Does one even exist for motorcycles? If not, I may bat some ideas around to fabricate one and test it, maybe even with an auto-drain-back feature so you don't have to manually drain the can (like the catch cans in the car aftermarket world). :unsure:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts