Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am pleasantly surprized about the low engine vibration I experience on my Indian Chief. For a 45° V-twin, it's a lot less than I expected. I own a couple of Moto Guzzi California 1400, and was riding one today having just dismounted off the chief, and the vibrations were much more noticeable.

The Guzzi has a 90° motor, transverse mounted. In theory it should have less vibration, but what does theory know? Unless of course the Indian has some sort of balance shaft in operation, but if it has I haven't been about to find any information on it.

Anyone care to comment?

·
Bronze member
3,971 Posts
I am pleasantly surprized about the low engine vibration I experience on my Indian Chief. For a 45° V-twin, it's a lot less than I expected. I own a couple of Moto Guzzi California 1400, and was riding one today having just dismounted off the chief, and the vibrations were much more noticeable.

The Guzzi has a 90° motor, transverse mounted. In theory it should have less vibration, but what does theory know? Unless of course the Indian has some sort of balance shaft in operation, but if it has I haven't been about to find any information on it.

Anyone care to comment?

Indian uses a counter balancer on the crankshaft to reduce vibration. Also its a 49 degree V almost 50 degrees and that makes a big difference as well.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Indian uses a counter balancer on the crankshaft to reduce vibration. Also its a 49 degree V almost 50 degrees and that makes a big difference as well.
Counter balancer or counter weight? All crankshafts have counter weights to offset the weight of the crank pin, con rods and pistons. A counter balancer implies an additional shaft rotating to counter the effects of the crank pin, con rods and pistons.

If this exists, I cannot find any reference to it in any parts diagrams.

Thanks for the correction of the 49° V. I had written this down in my notes wrong, or been misled by some erroneous information I gleaned fro somewhere.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,438 Posts
Counter balancer or counter weight? All crankshafts have counter weights to offset the weight of the crank pin, con rods and pistons. A counter balancer implies an additional shaft rotating to counter the effects of the crank pin, con rods and pistons.

If this exists, I cannot find any reference to it in any parts diagrams.

Thanks for the correction of the 49° V. I had written this down in my notes wrong, or been misled by some erroneous information I gleaned fro somewhere.
Here you go. Dean

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm guessing the counter balancer is item #12 on the diagram. It looks like it is part of the clutch.

My Chief doesn't appear to have this in the clutch assembly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts