Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I rode my Roadmaster with a group of friends and got home late, therefore dark. This was my first encounter with riding in the dark with this bike that has over 1,100 miles on it. I noticed that I could not see very far ahead with the low beam on and I always run the other 2 spots all the time. So when I got on a stretch with no traffic or street lights I experimented. With running only the low beam by itself it was horrible! Could only see about 50' ahead of me and when turns appeared it was scary as it was like driving in a heavy fog with little visibility ahead. If I turned on the 2 spot lights I could see better to both sides but still ahead was only about 50'. Then I would switch to high beam and all was good but I found I had to use high beam as mush as possible.

So this morning I took it in to my dealer in Madison, WI. and the service guy immediately looked into it. He found it was WAY OFF alignment! It was about half the distance in height it should have been. So with me sitting on the bike he adjusted it but found he had to go almost to the maximum for correct alignment which seemed strange.

So I was wondering if other Roadmaster's are like this too or did they get adjusted initially before delivery (?)

I will test it out in the dark ASAP.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,049 Posts
Howdy kulczge,
The low beam on my Chieftain was as you describe. I adjusted it higher, which helped some. Then the bulb burned out. I replaced it with an H4 bulb from NAPA which was a great improvement. You might try a different bulb; changing it is no big deal.
--- Randall

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I was told this was part of the dealership prep. They should have checked that before you picked up the bike for the first time.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I never owned a bike that didn't need the headlight adjusted when I purchased it. Dealers don't take the time to offer that service when delivering a bike. The Harley factory used to do a rough adjustment to simulate a 180 lb. rider where at 25', the high beam was centered on a spot 35" high. After getting a new bike, I always check the headlight aim when I get home. The procedure is defined in your Owner's manual. By-the-way, I've never found a factory setting too high, so my adjustments have always been to raise the beam. Like Randall, I think the H4 bulb would be the minimum I suggest...that has been the standard bulb used by H-D for a number of years.

The best lighting I've seen is the LED headlights. I converted my FLHX to LED and would never go back to standard lighting. I hope Indian moves in that direction for all their bikes.

·
Aspire to inspire before you expire
191 Posts
Y'all wouldn't happen to have apart number handy would you?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Roadmaster does have all LED's and I looked at my Pre-Delivery Inspection report and under "Lights - Verify operation and adjustment" is what it states. I remember receiving the bike and testing all lights to see if they worked and that was about it.
I understand the aim could be off a little as I have owned bikes for 43 years but to be that far off was ridiculous.
Anyway, looks like it should be OK now.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Wow ! Haven't really had to use mine in the dark yet, guess this is a heads up. Thank you for that, good to know well B-4 your there.

·
Registered
166 Posts
For the Roadmaster, can you all give a brief description of where the adjustment screws are? Do I have to remove the bezel? The whole fairing? Also, are there adjustments for the driving lights? NothernProducer mentioned that the LED's have to be adjusted separately for low/high beams. How do you do that? Thanks guys!

·
2,049 Posts
Howdy Wrexhavik,
My bike is a 2014 Chieftain so I can't advise you on adjusting the LED. To get access to the headlight assembly and adjusters you remove the two allen screws holding the chrome bezel on; it pulls forward from the top and there is a tab at the bottom of the bezel that must be disengaged from the fairing. That exposes the headlight assembly.
--- Randall

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
For the Roadmaster, can you all give a brief description of where the adjustment screws are? Do I have to remove the bezel? The whole fairing? Also, are there adjustments for the driving lights? NothernProducer mentioned that the LED's have to be adjusted separately for low/high beams. How do you do that? Thanks guys!
I deleted my text because the Owner's manual seems to have the procedure covered.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Yesterday I rode my Roadmaster with a group of friends and got home late, therefore dark. This was my first encounter with riding in the dark with this bike that has over 1,100 miles on it. I noticed that I could not see very far ahead with the low beam on and I always run the other 2 spots all the time. So when I got on a stretch with no traffic or street lights I experimented. With running only the low beam by itself it was horrible! Could only see about 50' ahead of me and when turns appeared it was scary as it was like driving in a heavy fog with little visibility ahead. If I turned on the 2 spot lights I could see better to both sides but still ahead was only about 50'. Then I would switch to high beam and all was good but I found I had to use high beam as mush as possible.

So this morning I took it in to my dealer in Madison, WI. and the service guy immediately looked into it. He found it was WAY OFF alignment! It was about half the distance in height it should have been. So with me sitting on the bike he adjusted it but found he had to go almost to the maximum for correct alignment which seemed strange.

So I was wondering if other Roadmaster's are like this too or did they get adjusted initially before delivery (?)

I will test it out in the dark ASAP.
Mine was exactly as you described, too low but the high beam worked great. I haven't readjusted mine yet but will do so this week.

·
I want to go fast.
1,268 Posts
I was thrilled with my headlight(s). I had a DDM HID setup on my VTX build, but prefer the LED on the Roadmaster. It might not be brighter, but the focus is much better. I guess my dealer did their job. Or it came right from the factory, which is more believable.

·
5,115 Posts
I adjusted mine six turns CCW which wasn't quite enough so the next day I gave it another six. I still thought it looked a little low so I gave it four more for good measure. That put the beam too high as it looked like I might be blinding drivers coming the other way so I backed it down four for a total of twelve turns. That seems about right for me. High enough to see where I'm going but low enough not to blind oncoming traffic.

Reactions: wigwam

·
Registered
166 Posts
Roger that guys. Thanks! I'll look into it this evening as it's not supposed to be raining. Great forum help guys!

·
Registered
114 Posts
I adjusted mine and the low beams are in a perfect place now. As far as the high beam, it is OK but seems a little dim to me. Not what I expected after hearing the rave reviews of this LED headlight. I like that the driving lights stay on in either mode, might not use high beam if they were not on.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Same here guys. I was a little upset the other night going to work when I used the headlights for the first time. They seem too low. I'll check the adjustment this weekend and see if I can get it better. Thanks for the info.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts