Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

101 - 120 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Could this possibly be my clutch making noise? A buddy of mine was mentioning it today. He asked me if the noise is on the right or left of the bike and I think it's more so on the left? I don't know I'm at work so I can't listen to it at the moment.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
So they saw the video I sent last night and he agreed it's louder than normal. They think it might actually be the clutch making the noise. I'm going to have to bring it down. Is there anything I could potentially do to resolve this on my own or checks I can make? if not I guess I'll suck it up and make the drive unfortunately.

·
Rider
879 Posts
So they saw the video I sent last night and he agreed it's louder than normal. They think it might actually be the clutch making the noise. I'm going to have to bring it down. Is there anything I could potentially do to resolve this on my own or checks I can make? if not I guess I'll suck it up and make the drive unfortunately.
Not really. Oil has to be drained and the clutch basket assembly most likely needs to come out to be inspected. And if the problem is to be covered under warranty. Then if you start messing with it, that can negate and warranty claim. just trailer it over and let the shop deal with it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Yeah hopefully they do a better job on that than they did with the 500 mile service. I should request a loaner bike!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Yeah I just have to figure out a time to get it down there. It’s coming up on hunting season and I don’t want to waste time driving back and forth.

·
Rider
879 Posts
Just use it as leverage to get more goodies. Is this the dealer who sold the bike to you? Quite possibly you can use the lemon law to swap it for a new bike, depending on what they find on the inspection.
Pretty sure in order for something to qualify as a lemon. The same issue needs to be attempted to be fixed 3 times before it can be deemed a lemon. That's the way it's written in Ca.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Well I'm on the phone with Indian Customer Service. I am going to try and escalate this a bit. Bison went good with a part I wanted for my bike that more than makes up for the gas money I spent getting down there but I really don't want to have them rip my engine open to figure out what's wrong with it. The noise is super loud now so I'm going to stop driving it. The service manager actually suggested I drive it till 1000 miles to see if it goes away. I'm not going to go that route. I wanted to touch base with Indian to see what they suggest. I just don't think I should have to drive it all the way down there again for a problem that should have been caught there or could have possibly been caused by them since it didn't make it when I brought it down...... You guys and girls can tell me if I'm unreasonable. I guess what it boils down to, is that if I wanted my motor cracked open 500 miles after I bought it I would have bought a used bike. I'll take a new motor before they open up my bike.

·
Senior member / rider
966 Posts
Good luck. It is a hassle to go long distance to the dealer. I certainly wouldn’t ride it while it’s making a loud, unidentified noise. And I’ll almost guarantee Polaris is going to jump right to a new engine without diagnostics. I’d try to get Polaris to work with dealer to have your bike picked up for a start.

·
Senior member / gold
6,749 Posts
Like I said, you don't want to be sitting on that I.E.D. when it decides to explode. It is the dealer's problem how it gets to them. Tell them that you posted on this site, and about 35,600 Indian Motorcycle owners and potential owners are watching to see what happens.
You might want to step in here and name the dealer about now!
Bump!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Yeah I emailed the rep I spoke with at polaris today and linked this thread. I just told them that I shouldn't have to be dealing with a problem like this at 500 miles and I really don't like the idea of the dealer cracking open my motor and seeing what's wrong with it at 500 miles. Thank god it's close to the end of riding season for me so when I get it down there I won't be out a ton of riding time. Although this is the best time of year for riding.

·
Bronze member
1,419 Posts
Just a correction on information I posted that the primary gear/clutch gear being helical cut gears. They are not . They are straight cut gears. My bad, and explains why they are as loud as they are. I looked at a crank gear today. Helical cut gears would be quieter. They also would be stronger, but no matter. Obviously strong enough. Look up history on geared primary motorcycle engines. A superior drive system compared to chain drive and more compact too.

101 - 120 of 136 Posts