Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

81 - 100 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
It doesn’t get that dark after 38 miles, I’ve done dipstick checks much later than that and it’s still golden.

·
Registered
617 Posts
yeah it was just ran so that makes sense I would think. Yeah I'm sure there was some other oil left over from the possible oil change but it was sure dark for only 38 miles. I sent the manager a kindly email. I'll see if the noise dies off and if it does I'll be happy. I will get my money back for the oil change and hopefully some more shit.
If they don’t fall over themselves trying to fix the this, take the hit and find a new dealer. Warranty is warranty anywhere.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Here’s what 39 miles on the oil change looks like. Also can someone take a picture of where the coolant level is supposed to be on their bobber I don’t see any on my overflow tank. On a sidenote when I left for five minutes I didn’t get that wine so that might be temperature-based as well On a sidenote when I left for five minutes I didn’t get that wine so that might be temperature-based as well.
It's hard to see the coolant level. Check your manual for proper position and use a very brite lite.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Ok so a little update here. Spoke with the GM today and he was a bit confused by the whole situation. He wasn't pleased to see the oil the way it was or the coolant level. I did speak with a guy there who has ridding scouts for quite a while. He said they aren't a big fan of colder weather so being the longest ride I've taken to warm it up recently was about 4 miles it could just be that everything isn't completely warmed up yet but he did say that they'll be a bit noisier in cold weather. They said to make sure the oil level is good and ride it till at least 1000 miles to see if everything breaks in properly and we'll go from there. I'm ok with that for an answer. As for the lack of service on the 500 mile service as I was saying earlier the GM isn't exactly happy. I asked for at a minimum for coolant to be sent to me to top the reservoir off and I want reimbursement for my oil change kit. I'll probably ask for more in terms of store credit or something too. I don't think that's unreasonable for my wasted time and money spent getting to the closest dealer 300 miles away. If anyone has any opinions feel free to let me know. I don't think the bike is a lemon but it might have some issues with the primary. I guess time will tell. I'll give more of an update this afternoon when I ride home. It's warmer out today and I'll try and get a bit of a longer ride. I thought for a second last night it was beginning to quiet down a bit when I parked it for the night.

·
Rider
482 Posts
It's hard to see the coolant level. Check your manual for proper position and use a very brite lite.
shine the light from the RHS and look for fluid level on the LHS. Wiggle the bike a bit to see the coolant slosh a bit to help see it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
The coolant level was for sure low. Here's where I'm at. They are sending me coolant in the mail and after a long conversation I'm getting the luggage rack for the rear I wanted for free. I didn't think it was unreasonable to ask for compensation for all this shit. They agreed that me going down there was basically a waste of time and money. Pretty hard to argue. They were unaware that their techs (at least some of them) were not test driving the bikes after servicing them. Apparently my tech was new as well. I'm happy with this outcome. I hope the bike quiets down after it's completely broken in (1000 miles) is apparently a magic number for Indian. Everything is documented now so if there are problems in the future there won't be any issues.

·
Rider
879 Posts
Pretty hard to imagine a service manager not knowing that his techs aren't doing their test rides. Not a very observant manager. Even knew guys know to go on test rides. Their usually very excited for that part. It gets them out of the shop for a second of fresh air, they can confirm the work they just did and who doesn't love riding motorcycles?

But I'm glad they seem to be working with you to get things resolved.

·
Senior member / gold
6,749 Posts
Pretty hard to imagine a service manager not knowing that his techs aren't doing their test rides. Not a very observant manager. Even knew guys know to go on test rides. Their usually very excited for that part. It gets them out of the shop for a second of fresh air, they can confirm the work they just did and who doesn't love riding motorcycles?

But I'm glad they seem to be working with you to get things resolved.
If they are working by the job, on a Polaris/Indian time estimate program, the tech rushes through the job, and then, on to the next job. Usually the factory time estimate for a particular job requires shortcuts in order to meet the factory's time estimate. The service manager or shop foreman should be test riding every bike that leaves the shop floor.

·
Rider
879 Posts
If they are working by the job, on a Polaris/Indian time estimate program, the tech rushes through the job, and then, on to the next job. Usually the factory time estimate for a particular job requires shortcuts in order to meet the factory's time estimate. The service manager or shop foreman should be test riding every bike that leaves the shop floor.
I'm sorry but I believe you are wrong sir. I worked at the #1 dealership in the southwest region in the service department for nearly 5 years. Techs get a total of 2.5hrs to perform the 500mi service. It only takes a fraction of that time. Techs don't clock off the job until after they get back from their test ride and everything is A-OK.

Word to the OP... @thkbaron

Since the work on the 500mi service is suspect and no test ride was performed. If I were you. I would do my due diligence and check over ever major fastener to make sure everything is still torqued to spec. Check belt tension, alignment and make sure your throttle cable is adjusted properly. Those are the key aspects for things to go wrong within the first 1,000mi or so.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Thanks Max. Anyways here's another sound clip of it tonight on a warmer day with oil at the correct levels. Why would it start doing this out of the blue after my service? It's stupid loud. I sent this clip to the service manager tonight. If it would have made this noise when I went to pick up the bike I wouldn't have taken it. No way.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Since the manager seems willing to work with you get him a copy of the recording to send to corporate for a warranty authorization to inspect and record primary and counterbalancer backlash and end play.I have been around many much larger engines and drives my entire career and even a spur gear speed increaser is not that loud at lo idle no load.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The coolant level was for sure low. Here's where I'm at. They are sending me coolant in the mail and after a long conversation I'm getting the luggage rack for the rear I wanted for free. I didn't think it was unreasonable to ask for compensation for all this shit. They agreed that me going down there was basically a waste of time and money. Pretty hard to argue. They were unaware that their techs (at least some of them) were not test driving the bikes after servicing them. Apparently my tech was new as well. I'm happy with this outcome. I hope the bike quiets down after it's completely broken in (1000 miles) is apparently a magic number for Indian. Everything is documented now so if there are problems in the future there won't be any issues.
Interesting. The General Manager called me today in response to my noting on the satisfaction survey from Polaris that the tech did not test ride my bike after bleeding the brakes for the recall. He said he spoke to the tech and he said he drove it around their parking lot which isn't much of a test and I know isn't true because I watched him pull it out of the service area on their camera and he parked it out front a few seconds later. If you had the same guy I did, Justin, he has worked there for at least a year. If you had a different tech they have an issue with multiple techs not bothering with test rides.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Yeah I watched them pull my bike out of the service bay and park it right behind my trailer. Zero test drive. What recall? Do you have a Scout? I'm getting compensated for my wasted trip a bit but I refuse to believe this is the noise I have to deal with on my bike. I can hear it over the loud ass Vance and Hines pipes. Unacceptable. I'm not throwing the entire dealership under the bus. They've been pretty easy to deal with thus far on this whole debacle but yeah maybe a bit of quality control on their service techs I guess. I wish I wasn't so damned far away or I'd just drive the thing down and say fix it but seeing it wasn't driven during my 500 mile service, I would argue that it should have been caught then and arguably saved me another trip. I'm having a really hard time not flying off the handle on this deal. I admit I'm one picky sob but I don't think I'm out of line expecting people to do their jobs correctly, especially when someone drove so far to buy the bike in the first place.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah I watched them pull my bike out of the service bay and park it right behind my trailer. Zero test drive. What recall? Do you have a Scout? I'm getting compensated for my wasted trip a bit but I refuse to believe this is the noise I have to deal with on my bike. I can hear it over the loud ass Vance and Hines pipes. Unacceptable. I'm not throwing the entire dealership under the bus. They've been pretty easy to deal with thus far on this whole debacle but yeah maybe a bit of quality control on their service techs I guess. I wish I wasn't so damned far away or I'd just drive the thing down and say fix it but seeing it wasn't driven during my 500 mile service, I would argue that it should have been caught then and arguably saved me another trip. I'm having a really hard time not flying off the handle on this deal. I admit I'm one picky sob but I don't think I'm out of line expecting people to do their jobs correctly, especially when someone drove so far to buy the bike in the first place.
Yes, 2019 ISB. There is a recall on I believe 2017-2019 Scouts due to possible air in the system and they have to bleed them. I agree with you on expecting people to do their job. A test ride just seems obvious anytime work is done. I was surprised and appreciate that they called me to address it, whether or not anything is done about it is another story. I know I will be checking mileage and work anytime I bring it in from now on. I mentioned it to my buddy I just referred to Bison Thunder to get a 2020 ISB to be careful on his 500 mile service and going forward. It reflects badly on Indian and now having had poor experiences at both dealerships anywhere near me as much as I love my bike it gives me pause on buying another Indian in the future.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Yeah and that’s the thing. I’m not entirely convinced it was anything they did. If the tech just would have driven it they maybe have noticed the noise. My ride to work is less than two miles and within two miles it doesn’t make th noise. Either way I’ll keep this updated on my progress. If it has to go in I’m having a hard time deciding whether or not I should ask them to come get it.

81 - 100 of 136 Posts