Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Indian Classic (Badge #101) with the black bags added as an accessory. I picked up the bags in May; in early September I went for a ride and upon arrival, noticed that one of the bags was gone. I had previously observed that the front latch felt looser than the other three, but did not realize the potential for a complete detachment. Indian advises that without the bag to show whether the part failed, they cannot warrantee the item - it is presumptive that the bag was not attached properly unless I can prove otherwise. As they don't sell individual bags, I will have to replace 2. Has anyone experienced any failure of the bag system, on either the Classic or the Vintage?

I will add that I absolutely love this bike, and have been an Indian "ambassador" since my first ride last fall. I have been riding bagged bikes for 35 years - never lost one before. As much as I love the bike, I am not impressed with the workmanship of the bags (the leather over plastic frame is flimsy, and the plastic latches have popped off the pin mount multiple times) or the fact that they can't be secured/locked to the bike.

Any guidance would be appreciated. The dealer has done their best to work with the various departments at Indian CS, but so far no progress.

Thanks!

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,763 Posts
Dang, that sucks. I assume you retraced your route and looked for the bag, right? I imagine that at a decent speed, that bag could have bounced quite a way...
I suppose the cheapest thing to do would be to keep you eye out on ebay and the bike forums. Maybe someone trashed a bike or if you're lucky, bought a set of bags and decided that they don't like them.

·
Founding member
952 Posts
I bought my bags from US Saddlebag Co. The bags lock on to the frame. Have seen the others bags mounting system. These are second to none. Metal pins secure the top and bottom of bags to mounting frame. The lids can also be locked. Also told a single bag can be purchased if one get lost or trashed. Half the price of Indian Bags. Sorry for sounding like a salesman. If there is one thing wrong with them. They are universal[generic] bags made for all kinds of bikes. Check out there Facebook page. Owners rave about them.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Your story is I am sad to say a common one. My girlfriend lost hers about two months after she got her bike, and a friend lost his two weeks ago. Both were vintages. At least you go black so you don't have to sweat matching the leather. It IS a documented issue with Polaris, but I doubt they'll comp you a bag. Make sure that when you order a replacement, the parts guys order your hardware too (Clips and locks and such). I know a lot of people are using electrical tape to secure their bags from the inside. By ta[ping down the latches. I am really sorry that happened to you.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I had 2 come off my Classic. Turns out it was my fault, didn't have them on properly. Polaris replaced the one that had a chunk knocked out of it, no questions asked...

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Before I ever left the lot on the morning that I bought my Vintage the salesman made me take off the bags and put them back on again.
Of course, I installed them wrong.
He preceded to tell me that they had three lost saddlebags since the started selling Indians.

He showed me the correct method.
I can't speak to the Classic bags, I don't know if they are the same as the Vintage.
On the back side of the Vintage saddlebag is a metal semi-circle clip. That clip MUST go behind the lip on the mounting spool.
This is a very small detail and one that is easy to over look.

Everything else that you observed on the saddlebags is spot on.
I have 7,000 miles on my bike and both bags are still on there...so I have to think it is more than just luck.

When you have a warranty claim issue your first point of contact is your dealership.
Some dealerships are better than others. Some may go over, above and beyond.
Some may shrug their shoulders and not help you.

If you don't get the backing you need from your dealership then escalate your problem to the Indian Customer Service Team.
They are very nice friendly people who have a genuine concern for customer satisfaction. (877) 204-3697.
Call them yourself, don't take your dealers word that there is nothing that can be done.
My personal experience with Indian Motorcycle Customer Service Team has been nothing but outstanding.

·
Registered
478 Posts
"I can't speak to the Classic bags, I don't know if they are the same as the Vintage.
On the back side of the Vintage saddlebag is a metal semi-circle clip. That clip MUST go behind the lip on the mounting spool.
This is a very small detail and one that is easy to over look".

The bags are the same. And that is exactly what I did with my bags, didn't have the clip behind the lip on the mounting spool. A tech in the service dept. showed me how they went, that of course, was after I had complained to the owner of the dealership about my "defective bags"... Yeah, I felt pretty stupid (but I got over it!).

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
It is VERY easy to do Joe.
Putting the bags on correctly is almost like unnatural because you have to tip them for proper seating on the spools.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help; Customer Service did resolve the issue to my satisfaction; and that was definitely the way to go. Hopefully these will stay on, and that they figure out a way to secure these better rather than duct taping the latches.

·
Early Joiner
177 Posts
I have a buddy that dropped a bag twice on the same ride. Bungeed it on and rode to the dealer who showed him what he was doing wrong. He was not securing the semi-circle metal clip that Big Daddy described. This is absolutely essential and a good lesson for me for my black Classic bags that were added after purchase.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts