Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Love my new 2019 Chief Vintage, but just had the first issue, with right at 1000 miles on the odometer. Went out to get ready for a nice early Labor Day ride with the wife, and found the bike almost impossible to back out of the garage. Rear tire was low, so jacked it up to look for a nail, and found that the valve stem was completely GONE! You can stick your pinky right inside the rim, and there is nothing there - I guess the stem opening is somewhere beneath the rubber tape on the inside of the rim. I have no freaking idea how to fix except take the wheel off and go to a local tire place. Nearest dealer is 2.5 hours away where I bought the bike.

Any ideas? Covered under warranty?
Tire Rim Wheel Alloy wheel Automotive tire

·
Super Moderator
4,977 Posts
Flats suck, especially when you have a big outing planned. The only way for your valve stem to disappear (other than someone cutting it off) is to have a low or flat tire.

·
Bronze member
1,890 Posts
As an ex m/c dealer service manager I say YES,this is a warrantee situation as long as there is no evidence of a puncture. You DO NOT have to take it back to the selling dealer, all Indian dealers are authorized to perform warrantee work.

RACNRAY

Reactions: Demolition Man

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shouldn’t the valve stem stay on the outside of the wheel even under low pressure?

·
Registered
631 Posts
If the tire has a tube in it and got punctured I could see the valve stem disappearing in a low or no air situation.

·
Bronze member
2,292 Posts
The rear tube on Chief Vintage is coming with a TR15 push through rubber valve stem without nut.

Low tire pressure allows for the tire carcass to spin on the wheel.

Tube might get rotated as well ... valve stem gets pulled out of hole ... simple.

Now we can speculate about the reason of low tire pressure on a bike which 1000 miles earlier left the dealer lot ... and when the valve stem disappearing event really happened. Theoretically you even had a first oil service (after break in)... and several fill ups at the gas station.

Sent from my SM-N976Q using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
2,292 Posts
Went on a 60+ mile ride yesterday, no problems...
I wouldn't! Get that wheel off and dropped at any shop which does tire changes to be fixed.
Not only are you continuing to ride around with low pressure ... you are risking a sudden event which might leave you with more damage than just annoyance.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I wouldn't! Get that wheel off and dropped at any shop which does tire changes to be fixed.
Not only are you continuing to ride around with low pressure ... you are risking a sudden event which might leave you with more damage than just annoyance.

I think he means he went for a ride the day before he found the flat and had no issues or signs of a low tire.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had not noticed that there was no nut on the rear, just thought there was since the front has one. Tube sliding sroung inside the tire makes sense regarding why I cannot locate the stem.

The previous day’s ride was perfect, then found the low tire the next day. I always check the tires before riding, and, when it’s this flat, it is noticeably difficult to roll backwards out of the garage.

I’m just going to take the wheel off and get a new tube, since there is no severe damage to the tire. Pretty much the same procedure as when I did it on the old Vic XC, except that tire was tubeless.

Thanks to all for the insight.

·
Registered
182 Posts
That happened on my Kawasaki decades ago. Young punk I was trying to wheely and spun the tire on the rim. It went flat on the ride home and when I looked the stem was gone. It ripped the tube pulling inside. Didn't seem to notice the problem until the tire went flat at 50 mph. True pucker moment.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts