Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I rode about 15 mins to work and realized I lost my right saddlebag. I tried to retrace my route to no avail. Called dealership, they stated I was the 4th customer that had that issue. They advised me to call Polaris due to the bags not warranted. I told them, i had the same issue with the left one, but I was able to recover that one. I believe this a factory issue and should be recalled especially for the price we pay. Anybody else had this problem?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Haven't had that problem but I'll definitely be watching for it. Have you removed your saddlebags recently and maybe didn't secure them all the way when you put them back on?

·
Read Only
6,804 Posts
On these bikes the expanding rubber sleeve needs to not just be inserted, but the half round metal bag flange has to go over and hook the backside of the spool and the entire bag needs to be pushed down before flipping leaver.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I was in the dealship a couple of weeks ago and a gentlemen shows up complaining about the "pin" on the inside of his had fallen off or out and he was concerned that his saddlebag would fall off, Dealer replaced the pin and sent him on his way.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
So I rode about 15 mins to work and realized I lost my right saddlebag. I tried to retrace my route to no avail. Called dealership, they stated I was the 4th customer that had that issue. They advised me to call Polaris due to the bags not warranted. I told them, i had the same issue with the left one, but I was able to recover that one. I believe this a factory issue and should be recalled especially for the price we pay. Anybody else had this problem?
Leather or hard bag?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I lost my leather bag as well when I rode my Victory Cross Rodes, same deal with multiple customers. Being its the same company the system must be the same and hence have the same issues. Questions is: Only with leather bags???

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
There was someone who came on the other forum and was starting a class action lawsuit against Indian for bags falling off but of course was chased off via 60 some reply's calling him every name in the world. This started to happen to me but again I was told by caustic members that it was my fault and the attachment that Indian has is bulletproof. It may have been me. I had the bags off prior for leather conditioning and may have not got the bag on the spool correctly. Now that I check all the time and not take it for granted...............nothing bad has happened. But also I see guys that are obviously not stupid having problems here.

I have seen the inside lock attachment pin come loose ( on friends bikes ) and the whole assembly falls apart inside the bag. So its not THAT bulletproof. Maybe after this happens, the bag comes loose off the spool.

Harley did recall bags but it was more prevalent than what we see here. The bags Indian should have recalled are the 2014 Vintage leather ones. Absolutely horrible looking after a year.

·
Bronze member
1,194 Posts
what sort of weight are folks putting in their leather saddle bags ? think i'll make a discrete fishing line tie between the bags and the passenger seat strap.

·
Banned
7,192 Posts
The Harley trolls will stop by shortly with some commentary about how well HD bags are...

That's a bummer. Hope it's resolved quickly.
That's probably true, bur will they mention they're ugly as hell?
HD had an issue with their hard bags falling off. My friends came off his SG and just missed hitting the front of his wife's bike. HD hard bags were the easiest to steal also. That's a fact!
All this over someone not knowing if their bag is secure or not.
image.jpeg

·
Read Only
6,804 Posts
I put 8000 miles on a Classic with leather bags. I caught myself a couple times not engaging properly. Those Osprey units look to be a lot more secure in more ways than one.

·
Registered
610 Posts
All this over someone not knowing if their bag is secure or not.
View attachment 39488
It's amazing. Some people's Indian saddlebags fall off, probably because they weren't latched properly, and some posters start knocking Harley-Davidson. Wow, talk about Harley jealousy. Next someones going to blame Harley because Indian's 2014 Vintage bags turn dead gray after a few months. Got to be Harley's fault. (-:

1 - 20 of 92 Posts