Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to get on the interstate, oil light came on. And the normal clacking this thing makes all of a sudden changes to a very hollow clacking. The kind when your heads are getting any oil. Shut the motor down and coasted to a stop. Waited a few minutes and went to check the oil level. Unscrewed the oil inlet, and oil started spilling out the hole. Well I have plenty of oil in it. Gonna guess I'm the first with this problem as Google didn't bring anything up on the forum. Luckily I have 3 months left of warranty.

·
Bronze member
2020 Roadmaster Darkhorse
1,210 Posts
Yep, you have problems for sure if oil was spilling out of the hole. Too much oil.

Reactions: scott.stokes.71

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There's not too much oil. My guess is kinda like when you need to do an oil change you dump the first 4 in. Run it so it gets to the sump and then stop and pour the rest in.

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
How many miles do you have on it?

·
Bronze member
2,244 Posts
Watching this one. I wonder if something in the filter clogged?
Yes, if he has an aftermarlet or even OEM filter they can have issues.

For a long time, Framm always won the Consumer Reports shootouts as the best in class (filtered the smallest particles).

Some company bought Framm and cheapened them up to save money.

After a few race bikes (running Framm filters) exploded on the track dumping their oil and then causing accidents (with a couple of other riders killed, as I remember) bikes were banned from running Framm filters.

This was all about 25 years ago and was in Northern Calif. so I don't know how widely this was known or if it was a country-wide ban.

My point is that something as simple as a $10 oil filter can have dire consequences.

Hopefully, it is something simple like an overfilling.

WD./

·
11th Light Infantry Brigade
3,603 Posts
Yes, if he has an aftermarlet or even OEM filter they can have issues.

For a long time, Framm always won the Consumer Reports shootouts as the best in class (filtered the smallest particles).

Some company bought Framm and cheapened them up to save money.

After a few race bikes (running Framm filters) exploded on the track dumping their oil and then causing accidents (with a couple of other riders killed, as I remember) bikes were banned from running Framm filters.

This was all about 25 years ago and was in Northern Calif. so I don't know how widely this was known or if it was a country-wide ban.

My point is that something as simple as a $10 oil filter can have dire consequences.

Hopefully, it is something simple like an overfilling.

WD./
@Tom - AMS suggested priming or wetting the fliter as a preventative for filter material entering when pressurized oil slams the filter.

Not trying to get ahead of the op, but this makes sense. Hope it's a simple screw up and his scoot is ok.

·
Bronze member
2,244 Posts
20k miles on the bike. Changed oil 2500 miles ago. All OEM stuff right from Indian
Well, that's why they give you a warranty,

Sorry for your hassle/snag.

Hope things turn out okay,

WD./

·
11th Light Infantry Brigade
3,603 Posts
Well, that's why they give you a warranty,

Sorry for your hassle/snag.

Hope things turn out okay,

WD./
Check this out, book calls for run up after oil change. BAM, filter material everywhere

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,825 Posts
Causes of Indian Thunder Stroke 111 Engine Clacking - Indian Motorcycle Forum | Australia & New Zealand

so where it says "Unless the scavenger side of the pump fails completely, the oil level in the sump will only be too high "

So I'll be delivering my now broken bike to the dealer tomorrow. We shall see. Also. I may be looking at an aftermarket oil pressure gauge.
I've wanted one from the very beginning. I hate idiot lights. Which one are you looking at and where will you install the actual gauge?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, its dropped of at the dealership. Of course they have never heard of this problem before. I still have a warranty. Although I guess Polaris's data site was down this morning so couldnt check it out right away.

·
Super Moderator
4,909 Posts
Well, its dropped of at the dealership. Of course they have never heard of this problem before. I still have a warranty. Although I guess Polaris's data site was down this morning so couldnt check it out right away.
This is the first one I've heard/read about too. Please keep us informed!!!

·
Read Only
6,804 Posts
Oil pump took a Sh1T, probably sudden and catastrophic, Gage or idiot light will alert you after the damage is already done. Thank God your still under warranty.

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,825 Posts
Even if you had a gauge the chances of you seeing the loss of pressure before damage is next to zero. I've had a sudden loss of air pressure in the rear tire and didn't see the TPMS until it was down to 14 pounds and have no idea why I even looked. But from 14 to 0 only took less than 5 seconds anyway. Had that been oil pressure would I have saved the engine? If I would have it would have been pure luck. More likely I would have missed it and only looked down after hearing the engine making weird sounds. Blown engine. But I'd still like to have a gauge just for that one little chance to see a potential problem and maybe make the save. I'd take a hit on 16 in Blackjack too though. Not too bright here.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
UPDATE: So the oil pump is completely hosed up. My dealer will be doing a full tear down on the motor.

I call Indian, cause now I'm a lil freaked out that I have 4 months and 1 day or warranty left here and we had a catastrophic engine failure. They said after the bike is up and a full scope of what went wrong the will have no problem maybe extending my warranty to build confidence back into the bike.

Its not like this bike only gets 400 miles on it a month or only taken out on the weekends. I ride, and I ride hard year round. 1500 miles a month on average.

So I'll be interested to see when more bikes hit that 20,000 mile mark with failed oil pumps.

·
Read Only
6,804 Posts
If it any help, there are vastly more Indians well past 20,000 miles with no mechanical problems, let alone failed oil pumps. Yours is one of the first I've heard of at any milage.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts