Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I look in my right rear view mirror I think I'm on a Harley. Let's start with the pieces. There's the "arm", the "mount", the "mirror body" and the glass. From the handle bar through the mount, which connects the arm to the mirror body, all is well and tight. The looseness is between the mount and the mirror body. The construction leads one to believe there is a fastener between the inside of the mirror body and the mount which has loosened.

The mirror glass is surrounded by a rubber seal which holds it in the mirror body. It appears to me that if I could get that seal out, I should be able to get inside and tighten the fastener which connects the body to the mount. My dealership doesn't know what's behind the glass or how the mount and body are connected, and their on-line parts breakdown doesn't breakdown that far.

Has anyone had this loose mirror problem? Has anyone seen a broken mirror glass and seen what's behind the glass? I hesitate to try to pull out the seal to remove the glass without an idea of what I'm in for.

Thanks for any info you may have.

Premium Member
2016 Indian Roadmaster 120 Stroker
I had the same problem with a mirror on my RM. I bought the Pinnacle mirrors and like them over the stock mirrors but I too am curious how to tighten the mirror up.

Reactions: MilwDave

Rider
This is the inside of a HD mirror. I would suspect ours are the same, but have never had my glass out to confirm.

Bronze member
Probably glued in, rubber seal just to keep stuff out and act as a buffer between glass and metal.

Should be a bracket inside held against the pivot ball.

I鈥檝e only fixed a car mirror before, many years ago.

I found YouTube videos showing a Harley sportster mirror being tightened up.
They remove the glass by heating it with a heat gun (one broke glass by overheating) softening the glue that holds the glass to a few mounting points.
One had riveted bracket, the other screws. Obviously you would hope the Indian mirrors have screws but I guess you can鈥檛 count on that.

edit: Caprock posted a picture from one of the videos I looked at.

Rider
My left side mirror did this on my 14 Vintage after about 60 K. I will probably replace it at some point, but for a while now I fixed it by dabbing a little clear silicone around the joint. It;s been doing ok for about two years now.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My left side mirror did this on my 14 Vintage after about 60 K. I will probably replace it at some point, but for a while now I fixed it by dabbing a little clear silicone around the joint. It;s been doing ok for about two years now.
That sounds doable as a temp fix as I decide what to do. Thanks, Arstaren, and to others who answered.

Registered
I am having the exact same issue on my Darkhorse. The left mirror is loose at the mirror and stem. There is a screw behind the mirror buuuuut.....you can't get at it without breaking the glass. poor design IMO.

Bronze member
Just more cheap Chinese crap. Made in America? Nope. Only assembled in America. Same for the other American brand.

Reactions: Chief Signguru
1 - 11 of 11 Posts