Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Bronze member
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recall Summary

Hopefully this is just the VCM and not the ECU as there will be a lot of guys wanting to get the new checsum added to their existing tunes.

SAFETY

Recall Number: I-20-03

NHTSA Recall Number: XXXXXX

NHTSA Notified Date: 3/26/2020

NHTSA Description

OXIDATION ON THE CONTACTS OF THE GEAR POSITION SWITCH MAY CAUSE AN INCREASE IN RESISTANCE VALUES, RESULTING IN THE MOTORCYCLE DISPLAYING NEUTRAL WHILE PHYSICALLY IN GEAR. A FALSE NEUTRAL INDICATION DURING START-UP CAN INCREASE THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Safety Risk

INDIAN MOTORCYCLE HAS DETERMINED THE GEAR POSITION SWITCH USED ON 2014-2019 (111 C.I.) MOTORCYCLES MAY PROVIDE AN INACCURATE SIGNAL, WHICH CAN LEAD TO AN INCORRECT GEAR BEING DISPLAYED. OXIDATION ON THE CONTACTS OF THE GEAR POSITION SWITCH MAY CAUSE AN INCREASE IN RESISTANCE VALUES, RESULTING IN THE MOTORCYCLE DISPLAYING NEUTRAL WHILE PHYSICALLY IN GEAR. A FALSE NEUTRAL INDICATION DURING START-UP CAN INCREASE THE RISK OF A CRASH.
Hide Details

Remedy

DEALER TO REPLACE GEAR POSITION SWITCH AND REFLASH THE VCM

·
Registered
116 Posts
Perfect timing. I’m dropping my bike off next week for the 500 mile service, stage 2 cams, and a bunch of other goodies thanks to the $500 off promo going on. I’ll beat the rush of guys wanting this taken care of I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
107 Posts
Called my dealer today and was told they don't yet have all the parts for the recall. Expecting to get these in the next week or so and plan to call me when ready.

·
Rider
974 Posts
I was told by Sturgis Indian they can either clean or replace the gear position switch, my 2016 Chieftain has had no issues, so they thought cleaning is all they would probably need to do since mine is not misbehaving, but leave it up to me(Talked to them early January 2020, I see the Bulletin is dated 3/20/2020). Is the VCM another name for the ECM that I flashed with the CraigB1960 Stage 2 tune? (I think the VCM is seperate, but not real up to speed on these newer computer driven motorcycles)

·
German Rider
1,504 Posts
VCM = vehicle control module
ECM = engine control module.

One just for the engine, the other for the rest.

Cu,
Sven

Reactions: Kost

·
Registered
32 Posts
Did any of your guys dealerships say when the parts would be in? I bought an Indian over the weekend and when I was on my way up there to look at it they called and said they had received a service bulletin Thursday that they didn’t see yet about that switch being a recall.

Did any of your guys dealerships say when the parts would be in? I bought an Indian over the weekend and when I was on my way up there to look at it they called and said they had received a service bulletin Thursday that they didn’t see yet about that switch being a recall. I did the paperwork and bought the bike but I can’t bring it home until the switch is replaced they said, I was pretty bummed out.

·
Rider
974 Posts
Did any of your guys dealerships say when the parts would be in? I bought an Indian over the weekend and when I was on my way up there to look at it they called and said they had received a service bulletin Thursday that they didn’t see yet about that switch being a recall.

Did any of your guys dealerships say when the parts would be in? I bought an Indian over the weekend and when I was on my way up there to look at it they called and said they had received a service bulletin Thursday that they didn’t see yet about that switch being a recall. I did the paperwork and bought the bike but I can’t bring it home until the switch is replaced they said, I was pretty bummed out.
When I talked to Indian of Sturgis late December 2019 when this first surfaced, they were busy going through their large inventory of used Indians, they did not go into parts availability, but did express concerns about wanting to complete the recall bulletin on my 2016 Chieftain this Spring as soon as I could get it to them. Before I make an appointment for the work I am going to call and make sure they are ready and have the needed parts before I make the 200 mile ride to the dealership.

·
German Rider
1,504 Posts
Thank you Sven, that's the clarification I was looking for!
You're welcome. That is what a forum is for.

Cu,
Sven

Reactions: HINK and Kost

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks I appreciate it, just trying to figure out how long it will be until I get the bike. Have you guys ever heard of a dealer holding a bike until a recall like this is finished? I kind of wanted to ride this weekend of course LOL

When I talked to Indian of Sturgis late December 2019 when this first surfaced, they were busy going through their large inventory of used Indians, they did not go into parts availability, but did express concerns about wanting to complete the recall bulletin on my 2016 Chieftain this Spring as soon as I could get it to them. Before I make an appointment for the work I am going to call and make sure they are ready and have the needed parts before I make the 200 mile ride to the dealership.

·
Rider
555 Posts
The dealership here in NW Ohio is closed due to COVID-19. Thankfully my 2015 Chieftain does not need the recall work done as of now. When the dealership reopens, it will be crazy. Even in normal times, the Service Department is always busy.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The dealership here in NW Ohio is closed due to COVID-19. Thankfully my 2015 Chieftain does not need the recall work done as of now. When the dealership reopens, it will be crazy. Even in normal times, the Service Department is always busy.
The one I went to Northern Kentucky was still open obviously but you’re not allowed in the show room. They had the bike sitting outside for me to look at when I got there and we did all the paperwork in the parking lot. 😂

·
Rider
932 Posts
Wow really? What dealership do you use. I think both Bair's and Jonny K's are open for service here in north east Ohio. I was also notified that Indian of Pittsburgh was closed but opened the service department back up. In all instances you have to drop the bike off and come back when they are done. I think Bair's is offering a pick up and drop off service within a certain mile radius.

·
Bronze member
2,643 Posts
Will be some time till we in the UK will be able to get the work done, all the dealers are closed 😢

·
Rider
555 Posts
Wow really? What dealership do you use. I think both Bair's and Jonny K's are open for service here in north east Ohio. I was also notified that Indian of Pittsburgh was closed but opened the service department back up. In all instances you have to drop the bike off and come back when they are done. I think Bair's is offering a pick up and drop off service within a certain mile radius.
Indian of Toledo - the only one in NW Ohio

·
Registered
107 Posts

Got a call Friday saying my parts were in and scheduled for the recall service this Thursday.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Got a call Friday saying my parts were in and scheduled for the recall service this Thursday.
Nice, sounds like you’ll be back on the road in no time! I was supposed to pick mine up Friday and they found a leaking seal on the counter input shaft while they were in there. It was a very minor league but they said they wanted to fix it for me so I will be picking the bike up Tuesday or Wednesday, it’s good they saw that and decided to fix it.

·
Bronze member
2,643 Posts
If the fix include a re-flash will it have any effects on tuning from power command five systems or other systems?

·
Registered
32 Posts
If the fix include a re-flash will it have any effects on tuning from power command five systems or other systems?
I don’t know, you might have to ask the dealer to know for sure. Seems like it would be something separate from the time but not sure.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts