Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As background in early 2014 I bought a Springfield Blue Vintage. My first bike in 36 years. I put the stage 1, fishtails and some other minor custom touches on and sent the tins to Rob Gregory at Gregory Polaris to put the "proper" historic creme color on the fenders, a full head dress chief on the tank and a red pinstripe to connect it to its own Indian Red color heritage.

A few months later my 10 year old step son's enthusiasm for horses and riding them took off. I wanted to ignore it but if looked like it was going to stick. Having trained and shown horses before I sold the bike thinking this might be the thing we would share and I wanted to be financially positioned to buy a horse and take care of it (imagine buying a nice Indian motorcycle for cash and then paying $500 a month plus to maintain it - spendy but if you have kids you understand the motivation).

Fast forward to December and it's clear he's not ready to stop moving from interest to interest yet. The latest is video production on a Go Pro camera. I'm good with all that but now have to buy and customize another Indian. (Dang!). :)

I've been kicking around some ideas but thought I'd ask any of you who would like to make suggestions to do so. I welcome any ideas including photos, color suggestions, farkle suggestions or other ideas. I will start with a Chief, Vintage or maybe a Scout.

What do you all think? And THANKS for any and all ideas!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Did you like what you had? If so, them maybe another two-tone from Gregory is in order;)

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
What do I think?
I don't know, what do you think?

Here is where I'm coming from.
I've built several frame up motorcycles in my life.
I've also "customized" every motorcycle that I've ever owned and a bunch that I didn't own.

But always, 100% of the time, I started with a mission vision.
What did I want to do? What did I need to do? (comfort or power or looks).
I had a budget that was both unrealistic in what I wanted to accomplish and realistic in what I could actually afford.

To me, your approach sounds like you are ready to pull the trigger just to hear the boom.
You ain't pointing the gun at anything....no target, no game.
You are highly unlikely to exceed expectations because you have no expectations.

Dig what I'm saying?

I would start out with an honest evaluation on what type and style of riding you enjoy.

As an example, if you like to do long distance touring then this would sort of take the Scout off the table as the most practical choice for a blank canvas.
If you like canyon carving the twisties then it would make more sense to start with a Scout than to try to fine tune the suspension on a highway going tuna boat.

A lot of custom work is to tune in the motorcycle to physically fit your frame. Stuff like seats and handlebar selections. I mean unless you are just interested in building a "for show" custom bike.
As an example, if you deem ape hangars and a king and queen seat is what you need to be comfortable then this alone will dictate the style of bike you fashion around those key elements to incorporate.

I guess what I'm saying is that I've never woke up in the morning and decided that I was going to hit a home run that day, only to get out the phone book to look for the location of a ball park.
What I have done is spent decades peering in through the outfield fence. Watching and learning.

Anyway, it doesn't matter what I think.
A good custom build is intensely personal.

·
Registered
504 Posts
What do I think?

I've also "customized" every motorcycle that I've ever owned and a bunch that I didn't own.

I had a budget that was both unrealistic in what I wanted to accomplish and realistic in what I could actually afford.

To me, your approach sounds like you are ready to pull the trigger just to hear the boom.
You are highly unlikely to exceed expectations because you have no expectations.

Dig what I'm saying?

I would start out with an honest evaluation on what type and style of riding you enjoy.

As an example, if you like to do long distance touring then this would sort of take the Scout off the table as the most practical choice for a blank canvas.
If you like canyon carving the twisties then it would make more sense to start with a Scout than to try to fine tune the suspension on a highway going tuna boat.

A lot of custom work is to tune in the motorcycle to physically fit your frame. Stuff like seats and handlebar selections. I mean unless you are just interested in building a "for show" custom bike.
As an example, if you deem ape hangars and a king and queen seat is what you need to be comfortable then this alone will dictate the style of bike you fashion around those key elements to incorporate.

I guess what I'm saying is that I've never woke up in the morning and decided that I was going to hit a home run that day, only to get out the phone book to look for the location of a ball park.
What I have done is spent decades peering in through the outfield fence. Watching and learning.

Very, Very, Well Spoken!

·
Super Moderator
4,909 Posts
MNCP8R blue bike was beautiful. Once again Big Daddy has spoken very true words.

If money were no object I'd like to get a set of tins for #37 with a black and white theme similar to what #37 is wearing now, except I'd have the multi-color war bonnet on the tank. I'm into a more nostalgic look, but like BD said, it's your bike.....custom it as you like!! :)

...if you're a big framed guy I don't think a Scout is the way to go.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What do I think?

Dig what I'm saying?

I knew I'd get a sage "kick in the a$$" from BD. Thanks. Seriously.

Here's where I am so far:

Scout probably not big enough and no ABS.

Vintage bags will never get used.

I'll never go back to tan leather but I might dye a seat red to go with something like a black and white scheme.

Do almost all single or partial day rides so the Chief is probably right. It's a "regional" bike versus touring. And I'm old enough not to have too much pride to trailer it to another region.

The name Indian to me requires two tone of some kind.

Fishtails are a must.

A removable windshield will be a must.

No passenger pegs and no pillion are a must. I only ride one up.

Flat paint is out. It's a nice throw back from modern paints but seriously that chrome and shape deserves better than flat.

No more chrome is necessary other than completing the ellipse around the tail light (which Indian should have done for all if us).

A full color head dress tank dress up is an option. Including maybe stylizing it just a little.

Some kind of very small leather (matching the seat bag) is needed - on the bars?

The color combo must be unique.

All I know right now. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts