Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Chieftain and think my next set of tires will be whitewalls. What are the best brands that would fit my bike?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well, it depends on what kind of riding that you do. Some tires are better for the highway, some are better for twisty roads. Harder compound and a flatter profile will last the longest and work great on the highway and a softer compound and rounder profile will stop better and stick to the road better leaned over but won't last as long.
And cheap tires suck imho.Stick with a good brand.

·
Bronze member
1,941 Posts
I thought Dunlop didn’t make whitewalls?
I have them on my bike & they work good enough. I've been getting about 16k miles out of the rear tire and about 24k out of the front.
I've tried Metzeler ME 880 / 888 Marathon, on my H-D and they worked well but wore out faster.
I've heard that these work well also: Avon AV72 Cobra Wide White Wall Rear Tire.

20160227_123843.jpg

·
German rider
553 Posts
Metzeler ME 888 WWW were so bad on my 'lightweight' Chief DH, that I changed the front wheel bearings due the vibrations.
Could not believe that this new Metzelers are so bad.

Changed then to Avon Cobra WWW, front is like reborn.
IMG_20190415_161015~2.jpg

The rear Metzeler still makes some noise and rumble, but is listed on my shedule.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Metzeler ME 888 WWW were so bad on my 'lightweight' Chief DH, that I changed the front wheel bearings due the vibrations.
Could not believe that this new Metzelers are so bad.

Changed then to Avon Cobra WWW, front is like reborn.
View attachment 482578

The rear Metzeler still makes some noise and rumble, but is listed on my shedule.
Zoidberg,
I absolutely LOVE your powder coated engine! Can you tell me who did the work and approximately how much it costs? Thanks!!!

·
Bronze member
1,311 Posts
I've been using the Dunlop American Elites. They come stick with the white walls on the Vintage; I've had no issues with them, so I keep using them. I'm on the second front tire and third rear at 28k.

·
Registered
190 Posts

·
German rider
553 Posts
Just paint???

Have you had any issues with heat yet???
Matte black, NOT special oven colour which needs unreachable 250°Celsius for finish.

And the aluminium paint for metal protection is like a bit structured.
One of the painted heads of the rear cover bolts turned into brown due the heat, that's it.
The Covers are not going to heat up like the cylinders do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I've been away for awhile. And no problem with the highjacking! LOL. I saw someone mentioned Dunlop Elites. I'm having a problem finding a rear whitewall that fits my bike. There seems to be plenty of front tire options.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I am in no way recommending this. Just sort of FYI. But some antique auto owners have claimed to use exterior oil based primers (like zinser/bullseye or Kilz) to paint their own whitewalls on hard to find sizes. They claim excellent results.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I’ve heard of people painting on whitewalls. I don’t think I want them that bad. But I see bikes on this forum and other images with whitewalls and wondering why I can’t find the same ones. Does the Chief have a different size than chieftain?

·
Founding member
1,468 Posts
I have Dunlop WWs on my old 2001 Drifter. They do all right. Have a buddy that runs the cheap Shinkos on his Gilroy. Says they work better than any other brand he's ever had on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks everyone. I will let you know once I've change them. Just think whitewalls bring a different look to the Indians.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts