Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up guys. In the market for a touring bike and it's come down to HD Road glide limited or the Indian Challenger. I liked the HD RGL but felt incredibly cramped up in the cockpit (I'm 5'10) No room to wiggle around or really get a good stretch of the legs. Plus I might have to cash in my old man card and I'm not sure that I'm ready to do that yet lol. So I figured the challenger might be a good compromise between some style and function.
I usually do one day trips for now...some consisting 500-600 mile days. I'm not concerned about the motor - we all know it has plenty of hard working ponies. What I'd like is some feed back from the guys that may have done long miles (over 500miles) and or hours in the saddle (7-9 hrs)
How did you feel after the ride? beat up, exhausted? or tired but ok?
How was the overall comfort?
How was the wind management. Was it clean air? was there buffeting? or no air at all off the windshield?
Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
500+ miles with a few breaks over 12 hours. Tired, but could still go considerably further. The bike is just solid and comfortable at any speed and on any road surface including sand and gravel. Turns very tight and does not wander or waddle in the ruts. I use a foam pad on the stock seat to reduce hot spots. I am 65 with a bad back and marginal hips and shoulders. Did some high-speed cross winds, very stable and easy to manage.

·
Bronze member
2,662 Posts
Two 400+ mile days. Was I ready to get off...yes. But the comfort was no better/worse than my RM. There was more wind, due to the absence of lowers. Wind buffeting, seat comfort, handlebar position, etc. are so personal due to a rider’s height, weight, etc., that you can’t really take advice from anyone. How many times have you read conflicting opinions about bars, seats, riding position, etc. I’m 5’9 and feel stretched out on the Challenger, so I’m probably going to get reduced reach bars. But, others my same height may feel fine.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm 5'10 and feel there is plenty of wiggle room on the Challenger. I have rode 2.5 hours straight on the bike and it wasn't to bad. The seat would be the the thing I would change, but thats what my buddy says about hes RG. A Harley salesman rode my Challenger on a test ride and was impressed with the stock egronomics on the Challenger(he has had 3 RG). I have rode both back to back and have no regrets on my Challenger purchase. If you want a mediocre ride, ok power, and outdated handling with cramped riding position get a RG.

·
Bronze member
1,535 Posts
One HUGE plus, well maybe not huge, but a nice plus on the Challenger is that you can STRETCH your legs/feet out on the stock floorboards without the need for highway pegs.....even if you have the factory front crash bars. I'm 5'11' with 31" inseam, so this might not be the case if you're 6'5" with 36" pins. I thought that was a huge plus as I like to stretch my legs many times on long rides. The stock seat isn't bad....but it's not great either. I'm thinking of adding one of those gel pads as a trial before I start spending experimental money on aftermarket seats. I did that with my Chieftain and a custom Ultimate seat. It was only marginally better than my stock seat. I think there are a few riders on the forum here who swear by those gel pad pillions...and for short dollars. If anyone has any other real world suggestions on seats, I'm all ears and screen. Thnx

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,302 Posts
I've been looking at either an AirHawk or a SheepSkin butt pad. Not the greatest look but a lot cheaper than a new seat. I had high hopes for the Saddlemen seat but its sounding like it's too hard. Hoping Mustang or Ultimate will come out with one.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,255 Posts
A good gel pad is made by Butt Buffer and you can get custom embroidery or some of their own designs as well.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I talked to ultimate last week they said they won’t be out with the seat for the Challenger until fall and maybe later than that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One HUGE plus, well maybe not huge, but a nice plus on the Challenger is that you can STRETCH your legs/feet out on the stock floorboards without the need for highway pegs.....even if you have the factory front crash bars. I'm 5'11' with 31" inseam, so this might not be the case if you're 6'5" with 36" pins. I thought that was a huge plus as I like to stretch my legs many times on long rides. The stock seat isn't bad....but it's not great either. I'm thinking of adding one of those gel pads as a trial before I start spending experimental money on aftermarket seats. I did that with my Chieftain and a custom Ultimate seat. It was only marginally better than my stock seat. I think there are a few riders on the forum here who swear by those gel pad pillions...and for short dollars. If anyone has any other real world suggestions on seats, I'm all ears and screen. Thnx
  1. Absolutely huge plus HyeHog. This is one of my focal points. I love the stretched out riding position. Something I haven't been able to do on my Harley SGS.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've been looking at either an AirHawk or a SheepSkin butt pad. Not the greatest look but a lot cheaper than a new seat. I had high hopes for the Saddlemen seat but its sounding like it's too hard. Hoping Mustang or Ultimate will come out with one.
Techrider, I never had problems with stock seats as far as hot spots or @$$ soreness....It's always been my back that eventually gives out, especially the next day. Is it the seat or the suspension that relieves back pain or the combination of the two?

·
Registered
258 Posts
I've been looking at either an AirHawk or a SheepSkin butt pad. .....
FWIW, I bought an Air Hawk, a sheepskin, and a chamois at Walmart and sandwiched them together (i.e., stitched a pocket and inserted the air hawk). I've used it on my Vintage and now my Challenger, and it is delightful. It looks like an 1973 toilet seat cover, but it rides like a cloud on the posterior,

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,302 Posts
Techrider, I never had problems with stock seats as far as hot spots or @$$ soreness....It's always been my back that eventually gives out, especially the next day. Is it the seat or the suspension that relieves back pain or the combination of the two?
I was having lower back issues for a while and riding my VTX 1800 was killing me. Certain bumps would feel like someone tased me in the lower back. I've only really had that once on the Challenger and it was hitting a bump I should have tried better to miss. The suspension is wonderful and takes nearly all that uncomfortableness away. Now what I'm getting is just a sore behind. If I put my feet out on my highway pegs and push a bit, it takes the pressure off and feels better.

Reactions: HyeHog

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was having lower back issues for a while and riding my VTX 1800 was killing me. Certain bumps would feel like someone tased me in the lower back. I've only really had that once on the Challenger and it was hitting a bump I should have tried better to miss. The suspension is wonderful and takes nearly all that uncomfortableness away. Now what I'm getting is just a sore behind. If I put my feet out on my highway pegs and push a bit, it takes the pressure off and feels better.
Thats what I hoped you’d say. Thx for the reply TechRider.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Spend 120.00 on the Alaskan Leather sheepskin butt pad and you can ride all day with no problems at all. Call Barb. She can custom fit one for you.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,302 Posts
Spend 120.00 on the Alaskan Leather sheepskin butt pad and you can ride all day with no problems at all. Call Barb. She can custom fit one for you.
Thanks, I reached out to them!

·
Registered
88 Posts
6" 2', 34" inseam. 52yrs old so I'm no spring chicken anymore. I find the Challenger more comfortable than the Ultra I traded in for it. Two different bikes I know but I can stretch out better on the Challenger even though I don't have hwy pegs on it as of yet. My heels sit on the front edge of the floorboards if I stretch them out. I felt cramped on Ultra except when using the hwy pegs.

For some reason, I also find the seat on the Challenger more comfortable as well. I can go all day with no issues. This may also have something to do with the excellent suspension on the Challenger. Mind you, I also did an Iron Butt last year on a BMW 1200 GSA with knobbies and didn't have an issue.

I do catch a bit of wind on the top of the helmet with the stock windscreen all the way up so I ordered the 16" windscreen. The power windscreen is the way to go. I have missed that feature since I had it on my ST1300.

Couple the comfort with the performance on the Challenger and there ya go....one sweet ride.

Am planning a cross country trip end of July so that'll be the big test. Btw, can you guys please deal with the Covid thing down there so they open up the borders and I can travel through the States again!!! Your roads are way better than ours!! lol

1 - 20 of 33 Posts