Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2014 Chieftain with flash, air cleaner and six gun slipons. I'm interested in doing cams, head work, programmer and complete exhaust system to unleash the 111 thunderstroke.

I'm not looking to go nuts but would like a little more grunt. I'm one of those guys that can't leave anything alone even though the power that I have now is pretty decent. Just not enough. Would like to stick with the stock jugs.

I know it's only been a year since they have been released but figure there must be someone in the Northeast (or anywhere for that matter) that has a handle on what works well with this new motor. Thanks.

·
Founding Member
431 Posts
Keep checking with Lloyds Hard On Horsepower, he has done great work on Victory engines and now is starting on Indian TS-111 engines.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Keep checking with Lloyds Hard On Horsepower, he has done great work on Victory engines and now is starting on Indian TS-111 engines.
Wow! Catchy business name lol. Will check them out. It would appear that there are not too many options available for now.

·
Registered
23 Posts
2014 Chieftain with flash, air cleaner and six gun slipons. I'm interested in doing cams, head work, programmer and complete exhaust system to unleash the 111 thunderstroke.

I'm not looking to go nuts but would like a little more grunt....
I'm interested in how much of a difference the flash, air cleaner and pipes made ? Was it a noticeable increase?

thanks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'm interested in how much of a difference the flash, air cleaner and pipes made ? Was it a noticeable increase?

thanks.
I had the dealer do the flash, air cleaner and slipons before I picked it up because I figured it would be a while before dependable performance mods are available so I really can't answer that question. If I remember correctly, it was somewhere around 6-8 hp increase and about the same increase in tourque. That is just going on what the dealer said. After I put some miles on the exhaust sounds better (deeper) and my mileage has increased big time. Was around 38 mpg riding one up or two up for the fist few weeks . Took a 260 mile ride up in the mountains here in Maine last weekend and averaged 50 mpg riding two up.

Dirty Bird Concepts has a 2 into 1 pipe (peace pipe) that looks and sounds pretty good (at least on video). He claims a 10% increase in power with that pipe. I'm sure that you would also have to do air cleaner and a programmer like a power commander 5 or something similar. When I do mine I want everything done as one package that gets the most performance and dependability for the money invested.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had the dealer do the flash, air cleaner and slipons before I picked it up because I figured it would be a while before dependable performance mods are available so I really can't answer that question. If I remember correctly, it was somewhere around 6-8 hp increase and about the same increase in tourque. That is just going on what the dealer said. After I put some miles on the exhaust sounds better (deeper) and my mileage has increased big time. Was around 38 mpg riding one up or two up for the fist few weeks . Took a 260 mile ride up in the mountains here in Maine last weekend and averaged 50 mpg riding two up.

Dirty Bird Concepts has a 2 into 1 pipe (peace pipe) that looks and sounds pretty good (at least on video). He claims a 10% increase in power with that pipe. I'm sure that you would also have to do air cleaner and a programmer like a power commander 5 or something similar. When I do mine I want everything done as one package that gets the most performance and dependability for the money invested.

I will soon be installing the dirty bird piece pipes, the AC from Thunder mfg and a power commander V. Once all parts arrived I will have the bike tuned and dyno'd. It should be a noticeable difference I think. I will post results when completed around mid Dec.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will soon be installing the dirty bird piece pipes, the AC from Thunder mfg and a power commander V. Once all parts arrived I will have the bike tuned and dyno'd. It should be a noticeable difference I think. I will post results when completed around mid Dec.
Cool. Good luck. Which model Indian do you have and is it bone stock?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have the vintage, right now it is bone stock, was gonna do the filter and exhaust myself to save some labor cost plus I enjoy that stuff but I may let the shop do it in order to get a before and after dyno. As with my other bikes the gain won't be as much as expected or hoped for the money spent, but once the mod bug hits what you gonna do

·
Registered
311 Posts
don't know if legal in your state, if you want more power and bark, gut you converter. I did it and couldn't be leave the difference.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Yep - most states don't test for emission on bikes like Cars. I know VA and MD don't test for emissions, just safety items.

·
Registered
311 Posts
was not easy, take both mufflers off, buy a12 inch extension for drill bit.start drilling, very hard mesh, took 4 hours,keep drilling till all mesh is out. well worth it. might be easier to pull pipe off of bike.

·
Registered
14 Posts
was not easy, take both mufflers off, buy a12 inch extension for drill bit.start drilling, very hard mesh, took 4 hours,keep drilling till all mesh is out. well worth it. might be easier to pull pipe off of bike.
Hey Harry
What size drill bit did you use ? Was thinking of use a hole saw to cut the converter out .

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Did drilling out converters raise the sound level much? On my 13 road glide there was a nice little company called wild pig pipes that swapped pipes without converters for about $125. Not sure if they do anything with indian and would like to know if drilling out or removing converters creates any issues with warrantee or changing fuel mixture. Harley dealer did mine so I assumed no problem with warrantee and that was the only thing done. Ran cooler and better!!!!!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I used a 2" hole saw on my Victory CCT, not sure if they're the same diameter but wouldn't be surprised if they were. Chewed the hell out of the holesaw but got both cats out in about 30 minutes. It raised the sound level a bit but not obnoxiously at all, I loved the sound. It definitely ran cooler. I haven't decided to try on the Indian yet.

Technically it can void the warranty but only if they can prove removing the cats caused a specific failure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I used a 2" hole saw on my Victory CCT, not sure if they're the same diameter but wouldn't be surprised if they were. Chewed the hell out of the holesaw but got both cats out in about 30 minutes. It raised the sound level a bit but not obnoxiously at all, I loved the sound. It definitely ran cooler. I haven't decided to try on the Indian yet.

Technically it can void the warranty but only if they can prove removing the cats caused a specific failure.
kRat, post: 24907, member: 1530"]I used a 2" hole saw on my Victory CCT, not sure if they're the same diameter but wouldn't be surprised if they were. Chewed the hell out of the holesaw but got both cats out in about 30 minutes. It raised the sound level a bit but not obnoxiously at all, I loved the sound. It definitely ran cooler. I haven't decided to try on the Indian yet.

Technically it can void the warranty but only if they can prove removing the cats caused a specific failure.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the size hole saw mate will give it a go with the main header pipe on as the chief system is meant to remove only with all bits of pipe .. Indian really don't want you to remove the headers and converter .O2 sensors ... don't know how they'll like no cat !

·
Registered
14 Posts
I used a 38 mm and 18 mm hole saw on a 300 mm extension ... it was hard as the depth of the tool was only 40 mm. If you can get one with 150 mm plus it'd be alot quicker. Great sound plus big power gain .. ( seat of the pants ) No plugs no converter no worries . Getting the big sucker when they arrive here and re flash for pipes and air cleaner .. happy days ..

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
Am Betting that Lloyds will be your Best Bet for True Gains in HP and Torque .. This was my Dyno on my 2012 Victory Cross Country after using Lloyds High Flow Air Filter, Timing Wheel, and VM1 Cams with Freedom True Duals that I added myself for Looks and Power which also eliminated the CAT as well .. This was the Dyno Tuned with a Power Commander V Tuned by Kyle of KMC who works hand in hand with Lloyds.. And this is far from a Radical Build, just a typical Stage 2 .. Just Power from a Vic 106 as it should be .. Stock is Mid 80's Torque Mid 90's ..

1 - 20 of 70 Posts