Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Looking for options for a little more pullback from my handlebars

4275 28
I'm a new Scout rider and am making a number of changes to make the bike more comfortable for me. I prefer a more upright seating position and also want to stay within the limits of the existing cables, at least initially. It's my understanding that Indian once offered pullback bars for the Scout that had a further 2" of pullback. My local dealer told me those are no longer available. I did a search on Ebay and thought I'd found Indian selling their remaining stock. But when I received the bars earlier this week it was clear that wasn't what they were. So now I'm back to square one.

Does anyone know anyone that might still have the factory pullback bars in stock? Another vendor offering essentially the same thing? Does anyone have any experience with the adjustable risers offered from companies like Roxx? It's not the greatest look, but I guess it gives you a lot of adjustability.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
699 Posts
I think there are a few people here that have put on risers with good results. Different seats can help you change your position as well. I have an spare reduced reach handlebars due to a shipping error, but I’m not selling it after it stopped being offered :cool:

· Registered
721 Posts
I'm a new Scout rider and am making a number of changes to make the bike more comfortable for me. I prefer a more upright seating position and also want to stay within the limits of the existing cables, at least initially. It's my understanding that Indian once offered pullback bars for the Scout that had a further 2" of pullback. My local dealer told me those are no longer available. I did a search on Ebay and thought I'd found Indian selling their remaining stock. But when I received the bars earlier this week it was clear that wasn't what they were. So now I'm back to square one.

Does anyone know anyone that might still have the factory pullback bars in stock? Another vendor offering essentially the same thing? Does anyone have any experience with the adjustable risers offered from companies like Roxx? It's not the greatest look, but I guess it gives you a lot of adjustability.
Heli Bars are the ultimate. Fully 3 way adjustable and utilize all the stock cables and wires. Very expensive though. Look them up.

· Registered
721 Posts
Indian has the mini apes and they are available in black. Some have used those in place of the reduced reach with good results. I would prefer the reduced reach myself, but even when they were offered, I think they were offered only in chrome.
Correct. I powder coated mine. I don't know why Indian has stopped producing the reduced reach bars. So many people prefer them???

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I received the handlebars and the dimensions are as expected, ~2 inches of pullback. There are some detail differences compared to the stock bars. The Octane has a slightly different clamp width, they're narrower both in the position of the clamping surface and the clamping surface itself. When installed, the knurling is mostly on the inside center. So the clamps are mainly engaging on the powdercoated surface. Properly torqued, I don't see that as being a problem. The other thing that surprised me, the grip area is bare metal vs the original being powdercoated.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Have you ridden with them yet? Improvement in comfort?
Yes and they allow me to ride with a little more upright posture. You can leave your fingertips on your grips and approximate how much further back the bars would be in your hands. I did take a pic of the front of the bike so you can see how the bars fit in the clamps. I already had my windshield on and this is the best I could do. I'll end up putting some paint on the exposed knurling I mentioned previously.

· Registered
374 Posts
I just ordered them as well, Don't know when (or if) I will install them. I probably will at some point. What did you do about the grips? The left one in particular. I see some have been successful removing the left grip with compressed air.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just ordered them as well, Don't know when (or if) I will install them. I probably will at some point. What did you do about the grips? The left one in particular. I see some have been successful removing the left grip with compressed air.
I was able to get the left grip off using a couple of different screwdrivers and working around the grip. The bars come with a new Victory grip and the glue to put it on. I just slipped my Indian grip back on and it seems to be staying on fine without any glue.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.