Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the deal I had a set of aftermarket bars from a victory, they had been hanging around forever so I decided to let them go to someone that could use them. So I sold them I was paid $150 including shipping. I shipped the bars directly to a dealership for a buyer then got a message the dealership said they were bent. They weren't when they left here, so I reached out to ups who is sending a driver to the shop bit they want it basically repackaged and sealed in it's original packaging..well they pitched it. I am sure UPS is going to balk, this is neither mine or the buyers fault..what are your thoughts

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Who the F%#k knows, obviously it ain't your fault.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No not my fault but not buyers fault either. He offered to send bars back for $45 and then I refund him. That is not fair to both of us...in my eyes

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did the basic $100 in value as agreed with buyer..have not checked internet but did file claim with UPS

·
Rider
943 Posts
IMHO then he gets the $100 and the bars because of agreement and case closed.

·
Bronze member
4,113 Posts
The claim you filed with UPS will be denied. They always deny claims the first time, insufficient packaging etc. The fact you have zero evidence (they thew the bars away) that they were damaged, your out of luck. The fact the dealer threw the bars out is fishy to me, sounds like a scam.

To get any type of insurance claim from these shipping companies, you have to have the damaged item and original packing for them to inspect. And even then they typically deny the claim. Usually when you do your own packaging you have to document (photograph the package and it is clear that it meets thier packing guidelines) and have a picture of the package as they accept it to have any chance. You have a better change when a UPS facility packs it or authorized packing company.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The claim you filed with UPS will be denied. They always deny claims the first time, insufficient packaging etc. The fact you have zero evidence (they thew the bars away) that they were damaged, your out of luck. The fact the dealer threw the bars out is fishy to me, sounds like a scam.

To get any type of insurance claim from these shipping companies, you have to have the damaged item and original packing for them to inspect. And even then they typically deny the claim. Usually when you do your own packaging you have to document (photograph the package and it is clear that it meets thier packing guidelines) and have a picture of the package as they accept it to have any chance. You have a better change when a UPS facility packs it or authorized packing company.
They threw the packaging away not the bars.

·
Rider
943 Posts
I missed "they pitched it" if they actually tossed the bars away then all bets are off that's on them. They get nothing and like said before sounds fishy!

AH! nevermind

·
Bronze Member
1,686 Posts
Denying a claim the first time is an industry standard. Shipping company package claims, airline luggage claims, etc. all do it. They know that a certain percentage of customers will drop their claims after the first denial and give up, so they know that they won't have to pay out on that percentage.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep the claim will be denied, no way to prove it was packaged correctly.
[/QUOT

Good news I talked to the dealer they managed to get all original packaging together but are refusing to repackage it. I appreciate everyone's input...I feel comfortable at this point closing the book on this...

·
Rider
943 Posts
Good news I talked to the dealer they managed to get all original packaging together but are refusing to repackage it. I appreciate everyone's input...I feel comfortable at this point closing the book on this...
That's crap why would they go to the trouble of dumpster diving and not complete the task. It just doesn't make sense. Why would he not want to recoup some of his losses?.....unless there are not losses.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't understand people, the dealer I guess is thinking that they are not getting compensated so why should they. I asked the dealer if the bars were salvageable and he said he did not have the equipment.

·
Bronze member
3,158 Posts
Welcome to used sales.
I sold this guy a good used ignition coil for a harley.10 bucks.
He brings one in wanting his money back as the coil is cracked.
Was clearly not the coil I sold him.
I gave him his money back and told him there were no more parts for him here.
Sometimes people suck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts