Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Looking for info on Scouts

3K views 36 replies 20 participants last post by  reinie 
#1 ·
Due to reasons beyond my control, it looks like I’ll probably be selling my Vintage and getting a Scout. I’ve found plenty of new 2019 and 2020 Scouts, and even found a couple new 2018‘s. Looking for some recommendations as to what is good or not for these years. Is one better than the other? What do I need to be concerned with? Any help you can provide is appreciated.

#2 ·
I have a 2016 and I’ll say there really isn't too much to worry about. My clutch cable did partially fail at 15,000 miles. If I got a new Scout I’d just immediately replace it. Without some sort of windscreen at highway speeds, rider fatigue in hands, legs and seat sets in at about the end of a tank of gas (130 miles to fumes). It does not like to start when its low on gas. If I’m around the 100 mile mark I often have to tilt side to side until I hear fluid hit the pump. Mine has spent life outdoors in the south and the only spots to develop rust is on the control arm washer and the rotors around the screws. At colder weather (Sub 40°F) I used to get some belt chirping but when I changed the tires that went away so it may have been too tight from the dealer. Only design I’d change from factory would have been to use a solid 1” bar. Its a one inch with a taper at the grips.

Aside from that, it is very forgiving. Maintenance is incredibly easy and infrequent. I encourage everyone to learn do their own. I LOVE pretty much everything about it really. Can be changed up to anything from a flat track bike to a nice smaller bagger.

#3 ·
I have a 2016 and I’ll say there really isn't too much to worry about. My clutch cable did partially fail at 15,000 miles. If I got a new Scout I’d just immediately replace it. Without some sort of windscreen at highway speeds, rider fatigue in hands, legs and seat sets in at about the end of a tank of gas (130 miles to fumes). It does not like to start when its low on gas. If I’m around the 100 mile mark I often have to tilt side to side until I hear fluid hit the pump. Mine has spent life outdoors in the south and the only spots to develop rust is on the control arm washer and the rotors around the screws. At colder weather (Sub 40°F) I used to get some belt chirping but when I changed the tires that went away so it may have been too tight from the dealer. Only design I’d change from factory would have been to use a solid 1” bar. Its a one inch with a taper at the grips.

Aside from that, it is very forgiving. Maintenance is incredibly easy and infrequent. I encourage everyone to learn do their own. I LOVE pretty much everything about it really. Can be changed up to anything from a flat track bike to a nice smaller bagger.
Thanks for the info, I’m not familiar with the Scouts, so this helps.

#5 ·
Scouts have pretty much stayed unchanged since their release. 2017 they upgraded the suspension and mid 2017 they changed front master cylinder which both are easy to do on previous years. 2019 came with usp port for charging electronics. 2020 now come with floating disc brakes. Other than that, you really can't go wrong with any Scout. Some years also came with passenger setup but that's pretty much the only differences

#12 ·
I have a 19 bobber and I have two complaints. First, it doesn’t like to start when it’s 35 degrees or below. This problem appears to effect all scout models-I think. Maybe not the 60s
There are several posts on here and it appears the battery doesn’t have enough cold cranking amps. Tender or no tender - same issue. I have had no issues with this since the overnight temps stay over 40
Second. Not enough time to ride it

you’ll love it!!

#13 ·
I have a 19 bobber and I have two complaints. First, it doesn’t like to start when it’s 35 degrees or below. This problem appears to effect all scout models-I think. Maybe not the 60s
There are several posts on here and it appears the battery doesn’t have enough cold cranking amps. Tender or no tender - same issue. I have had no issues with this since the overnight temps stay over 40
Second. Not enough time to ride it

you’ll love it!!
[/QUOTE
Cold starts won’t be a problem for me. If it’s 35 degrees, I’m not going anywhere on a bike! Problem #2 is easily solved. Thanks for yo reply.

#22 ·
Gotta agree on the mini apes handlebars for comfort. Also the stock seat sucked, at least for me it did so I replaced it with a Corbin solo. I have 32 inch inseam long legs and went with the forward control kit and the floorboards. The looks as well as the reviews of the Indian accessories windshield made me avoid it and go with a National Cycle 2-up Switchblade. Glad I went that route as it's very effective with little to no buffeting and I can easily see over the top of it. I went with the Indian saddlebags & rear luggage rack and put a pair of Tab Longs slip-on mufflers on it for some good rumble.
Motorcycle Motor vehicle Vehicle Chopper Cruiser
Vehicle Mode of transport Motorcycle Tree Automotive tire

#27 ·
I upgraded from a 2016 scout 60 to a 2020 scout 69. I loved the 60, but the 2020 with No tires, upgraded suspension and ABS, make it a different bike. And I love it more. As far as I can tell they are all great rides. Only thing I changed was solo seat, bags and rider boards. And I can still ride my Dark Horse too 🤪

#33 ·
Due to reasons beyond my control, it looks like I’ll probably be selling my Vintage and getting a Scout. I’ve found plenty of new 2019 and 2020 Scouts, and even found a couple new 2018‘s. Looking for some recommendations as to what is good or not for these years. Is one better than the other? What do I need to be concerned with? Any help you can provide is appreciated.

My wife has a 2015 Scout. She has covered 63,000k, and that is with 12 months off while we were in America during 2016-2017. The bike is wonderful. Very well put together: everything metal except lighting type items.
The battery on it was always going flat so a trickle charger was connected: no hassles since.
The starter was changed over due to our complaining about the battery concerns. This seems to have helped, though not fully resolve the battery concerns.
My opinion: love it. I think she chose very well. It took her months to decide on which bike to buy and so please she chose the Scout. I own a Kawasaki VN 1700 and a 1973 Z1. If I was in the market again, I would definitely consider a Scout.

#34 ·
If you are looking new I recommend checking out the bobber twenty. Comes with mini apes already, and wire wheels. Give it a bit different of a look. I picked one up a month ago and love it. I've upgraded the headlight, exhaust, grips, added a bag and passenger seat and peg since the first pic. This is one of those times when an impulse buy totally was worth it.

Reactions: Michigander
#37 ·
No issues on my 2019 ABS. In my case I had to make several changes for comfort. I am 5 foot eleven and 225 pounds with a 32 inch inseam (long legs,short torso). I had the extended reach foot control kit and the Indian floorboards installed as well as the 10 inch mini ape handlebars. The stock seat was a torture rack so I replaced it with a Corbin Solo. The wind blast was beating me up so I installed a National Cycle 2-up Switchblade windshield which is perfect as I can see over it easily yet no bugs in the face. The other non-comfort mods were Indian Saddlebags & rear luggage rack as well as changing the exhaust to TAB Longs slip-on mufflers with 1.75 inch diameter baffles.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.