Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts
Discussion starter · #22 ·
K-Tech Bullit gas-filled shocks. Very easy to adjust because there is no adjustment needed. No more bottoming out and smooth ride otherwise... Like buttah!
I have had the k-tech Bullet shocks on my bike for 3 years. I really liked them when I first got them but after 3 years it seams as thou they no longer work for me. It's like they have lost air because they just have no travel. To recharge them you have to send them to a place where they can do it. That is not convenient at all.

This was fully disclosed in their advertising, so no surprise, right? I can't recall how long a charge is specified to last offhand, but two years comes to mind... You'll have to check. Sounds like a winter project.

Oh well. Can't have everything... where would you put it?

Reactions: Carlosgmz1124
Discussion starter · #25 ·
While they are an improvement and I am still tuning them,.trying to work out the 'sweet spot' between comfort and handling. Im not sure about progressive springs. Im starting to give up on ever getting the ride i want with the configuration of the shock mounts on Scout which does not allow proper shock action, [they pivot too much on mounts] The Victory Octane shock mounts were way better and Im guessing a much better ride. Long term I will be looking at another Bike
This is exactly what I was afraid of. I absolutely love everything about my scout except the suspension. The heaving that has occurred on some of the asphalt road ways I ride here in Wisconsin jar the shit out of my back. My Bullet shocks were better than stock especially on small bumps but they do not seam to be working as well as they did when they were new. After 3 years I am wondering if they have lost some of their gas charge? It may also have something to do with me gaining 30 lbs and riding with saddlebags another 28 lbs or a combination of both. I almost pulled the trigger on these Nitron R1's for one last try before I test ride a Challenger. But don't want to invest another $1000 into something that just won't work no matter what I do. I'm just looking for comfort not speed as I do not ride that fast most of the time. Think I will test ride the Challenger on Tuesday and make a decision after that.

IMHO, the Scout with juiced-up suspension is good bang for the buck. Definitely, a "big-boy" bike will suit better, but it will take "big-boy" bucks. For me, I tested a Springfield (one day rental) and it was great on the road, but too big for me in tight spaces. The Challenger is definitely a sexy bike, but still seems too big for me. I'll just stick with my tricked-out Scout, which is totally manageable and great for short hauls... and won't cost me another $20k.

Discussion starter · #27 ·
While they are an improvement and I am still tuning them,.trying to work out the 'sweet spot' between comfort and handling. Im not sure about progressive springs. Im starting to give up on ever getting the ride i want with the configuration of the shock mounts on Scout which does not allow proper shock action, [they pivot too much on mounts] The Victory Octane shock mounts were way better and Im guessing a much better ride. Long term I will be looking at another Bike
I came to the same conclusion. I am getting older and a little arthritis is getting in my back. When I'm having a bad day the Scout really hurts when it bottoms out. The roads here in Wisconsin were bad this year. The black top was heaving in places and some days it was killing me. I was going to upgrade the shocks just one more time but after reading your review I decided to test drive the Challenger. I must have road 70 or 80 miles and hit alot of the bad spots I new of. I even went through some of the really bad spots in the worst place on purpose. I wouldn't say the Challenger was perfect and I had it bouncing a few times but even then it was very tolerable with out bottoming out. I bought it the next day. I loved my Scout and it gave me 27000 trouble free miles. But it is time to turn the page and get something a little more comfortable.

I came to the same conclusion. I am getting older and a little arthritis is getting in my back. When I'm having a bad day the Scout really hurts when it bottoms out. The roads here in Wisconsin were bad this year. The black top was heaving in places and some days it was killing me. I was going to upgrade the shocks just one more time but after reading your review I decided to test drive the Challenger. I must have road 70 or 80 miles and hit alot of the bad spots I new of. I even went through some of the really bad spots in the worst place on purpose. I wouldn't say the Challenger was perfect and I had it bouncing a few times but even then it was very tolerable with out bottoming out. I bought it the next day. I loved my Scout and it gave me 27000 trouble free miles. But it is time to turn the page and get something a little more comfortable.
I'll bet you're happy as a pig in s**t! What did you get on the trade? Whay was your out-of-pocket on the upgrade?

I went the opposite direction in order to downsize last Fall. I went from a 2015 Chieftain to a 2019 Scout ABS. The process of getting it to be comfortable was expensive and required several changes. Extended reach foot control kit with floorboards, 10 inch mini apes handlebars, Corbin Solo seat, and a National Cycle 2-up Switchblade windshield. While the Scout is indeed much improved, the ride quality is somewhat harsher over rough roads. Nowhere near the Cadillac ride of the Chieftain but it is what it is, a smaller lighter bike.

Race Tech Gold Valve Cartridge Emulator Kit for Front Fork and G3-S Custom Twin Shocks Rear Shocks. Rides and handles great. Completely adjustable. Race Tech is what the Champion Indian Flat Trackers use. See their website catalog > Race Tech Cruiser - New Other than these, my local Shock Guy recommended Ohlins.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.