Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2020 Scout, got the 21 inch windscreen because I have a 21 inch on my V Star. Guess I sit a little higher on the Scout as I have no buffering on the V Star, but I get some on the Scout. Questioning as to whether I should try the 24 inch windscreen or if some lowers might be a better bet. I have a windscreen extension coming on Monday, nothing I plan on keeping, just to see if the longer windscreen will do it without looking to out of place. If lowers would work, I'd rather go that route as I think the 21 is about as tall as aesthetics will allow. Here's how the bike looks now with the 21 on it.

Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,054 Posts
Since you went with the Indian windshield you might as well go with a Clearview or other aftermarket one that has a flared upper lip to it. A wider width might be a good idea as well but any flip or flared style that can be substituted onto your existing windshield brackets. Lower wind deflectors are also a good idea.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After I posted this, I came across a couple of posts that mentioned Freedom Shields they seem to be just what you describe, plus they are made about an hour away from me. Think I'll look into them and see what I think.

Reactions: LongRoadHome

·
Bronze member
2,011 Posts
I believe you’ll definitely want to try lowers.
I got them from Clearview shields when I bought their 17” Sport windshield.
Just wanted to keep it smaller since I bought my pre-owned Scout with the 21” OEM on there and they had added an extra deflector on top of that. No good at all.
First replaced it with a 21 Freedom— Or maybe 22, I forget.
Added the lowers before swapping it out and noticed the improvement. However there was a bit of an annoyance for me at highway speed, being 6’ tall my head was right on the border line of calm and turbulent air.

I preferred the smaller windshield because at least my head was mostly up in the mainstream wind instead of at the turbulent edge.
Even better if I hug the gas tank with my knees but at least with the lowers on there it’s manageable enough for me.

Hate to say it but you might find it’s almost impossible to find the perfect solution. I think that must be why so many people like the body wind-blocking little shields such as Dart Marlin.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Check out Rifle fairings/windshields. I have a 23 inch Classic on my Scout and the wife has a 20 inch on hers. The Classic has a great "old school" look to it and works great.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
When I got a Scout in 2016 I had the tall windshield and the buffeting was very significant. The things that worked best for me were lowers that I made myself and fitted to the holes in the radiator surround where the highway bars mount, and an experimental flip blade at the top of the shield to mimic the flip shields.

With the success of the home made flip blade, I'd recommend the flip shield over anything else. I would have bought one but it turned out to be too long for mailing limits from the US to Australia.

·
Registered
14 Posts
After I posted this, I came across a couple of posts that mentioned Freedom Shields they seem to be just what you describe, plus they are made about an hour away from me. Think I'll look into them and see what I think.
I bought a 24" freedom shield in medium tint, but it was too tall for me, so I bought a 22". I'll sell you the 24" cheap if you're interested. No buffeting with the freedom shields. WAY better than the Indian shield, which is too narrow, and has no lip at the top of the shield

·
Registered
72 Posts
I bought a 24" freedom shield in medium tint, but it was too tall for me, so I bought a 22". I'll sell you the 24" cheap if you're interested. No buffeting with the freedom shields. WAY better than the Indian shield, which is too narrow, and has no lip at the top of the shield

How much for the freedom shield 24"?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought a 24" freedom shield in medium tint, but it was too tall for me, so I bought a 22". I'll sell you the 24" chea if you're interested. No buffeting with the freedom shields. WAY better than the Indian shield, which is too narrow, and has no lip at the top of the shield

How much for the freedom shield 24"?
$100? That's less than 1/2 price. With shipping to Wisconsin it cost me around $230

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's a great price, but I'm not looking for smoke or a 24" shield; I think that would draw too much attention to the shield and detract from the lines of the bike.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts