Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Bronze member
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been doing a lot of research on this... I'm looking for a cargo trailer (don't really know if a camper is right for me)… anyway they all seem to be pretty much the same price when you get down to it and compare basics to basics... or at least the medium range ones... my question is this, is there any brand I should steer clear of?...

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,424 Posts
Not sure of brands to stay clear of but I got a RC Trailer from the factory up in northern Indiana. I guess a better question is what exactly are you looking for? If it is just to hall your bike alone then a 6x10 single axle will do fine. Being I was planning to use the trailer for more that just my bike and wanted the capacity to do two bikes if necessary I went with a 7x12 with tandem axles. Personally I like the way tandem axle trailers pull. More stable and extra insurance if one of the tires go out. Just remember you need enough room to move around the bike to strap things down. The extra room makes things go much easier. I bolted in E track and use quick release cargo rings. Even my nose dock is removable in the E track. Then I installed finishing plywood around the E track so the floor was flush again. Also added LED flood lights inside. Best investment I made for hauling the bike to the areas we want to ride in. Dean

·
Bronze member
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No.. I should clarify.. to pull with my bike..

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,101 Posts
I've spent a lot of time looking at them as well. Bushtech seems to be some of the better ones out there but they're also expensive. I found one I liked from USA Trailer store but it was much cheaper looking. Their mid rang could hold more but I thought was ugly.

From everything I've read, go with a heim connector over a ball, especially one that twists. I just got a hitch for my bike and will be doing that when I get my trailer/mini mate.

Reactions: Thunder Horse

·
Bronze member
3,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been going back and forth between a heim or a rotational ball hitch... I like the idea of a heim but the rotational ball would allow the trailer to be pulled by other things without having to buy two heim sets... mini mate is kind of the way I'm leaning now... just because winter is setting in I'm holding off and watching for specials.. I'm thinking between COVID and the natural winter slow season there should be some deals going on.. where did you get your hitch? I've found the cheapest price is Open Road Outfitters same hitch for less money ($239)

has anyone used the Lumina XL? nice price and free shipping... but I learned a long time ago nice price usually means inferior product..

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,101 Posts
I guess it depends on how much you're going to pull it. From what I've read, the heim removes all slop from the connection so when the bike moves the trailer moves. It's much better for stopping and starting and a more positive connection.

I've done a ton of research on the mini mate. I even looked at building my own tier drop style and came back to the mini mate. I checked with them a couple weeks ago and they're currently 7-9 weeks behind on production so I wouldn't expect any sales anytime soon. I was going to ride out to see one in person and they have them leaving so fast they couldn't tell me when one would be onsite to look at.

I got my hitch from Big D Customs. I'm pretty happy with it. It was $250 shipped and installed fairly easy. I have a post in the Challenger section with pictures. I don't have pics of the actual hitch but can easily get those if needed.

I've not seen the Luxmina in person but it seems to have the best storage space / price ratio. I'm just not a fan of that much diamond plate. I thought I could get the plate powder coated but then that adds to the cost and the process.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
I'm new to the trailer game so I'm sure others know more than me. I was in the same position as you... considering a trailer or camper and leaning toward a Lumina XL but really didn't like the appearance. I ended up deciding I really wanted a Bushtec. I had the cash on hand and just kept my eyes peeled for a used one. There's a couple motorcycle trailer groups on FaceBook or just google search every morning. I found my 2016 Bushtec Entourage at a Honda dealer. After everything, it was less than 1/2 price of a new one.

When I picked it up:

What it is now:

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
how does it tow?

looks great!
I always read people saying "They forgot it's there". I definitely haven't forgotten it's there but it's truly barely noticeable. I haven't done any long trips or really loaded it up yet though. Only have had it a few days.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger...Sandstone Smoke
51 Posts
I know this is an Indian forum but I have traveled many miles with this Uni-go behind my BMW, I didn't know it was there and have towed up to 125mph. Great trailer and about 35 gallons of storage. I have since sold the BMW but still have the trailer, may try it behind my new challenger but haven't bought a hitch yet.

BMW with trailer.jpg

·
Registered
128 Posts
I know this is an Indian forum but I have traveled many miles with this Uni-go behind my BMW, I didn't know it was there and have towed up to 125mph. Great trailer and about 35 gallons of storage. I have since sold the BMW but still have the trailer, may try it behind my new challenger but haven't bought a hitch yet.

View attachment 624134
where did u get the hitch for the bike?

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,101 Posts
I got my hitch for my Challenger off a guy on Facebook. I think his name was Big D Customs. I really like it, it's well made and feels solid. I haven't pulled a trailer yet but did run some flags.

@DanJ - I've looked at the Unigo but never seriously considered it because it looks like you wouldn't have any real space. Did you find that was the case?

·
Registered
51 Posts
where did u get the hitch for the bike?
If you are talking about the BMW it came from Bushtec, I had to do some welding on the removable receiver to work with the Uni-go(pic below), I suspect I would have to do the same with any hitch for this trailer bc the hitch point on the trailer itself is pretty high off the ground...if for the challenger I haven't bought one yet. I've seen reference to BigD Custom Racks in another post here by TechRider, may look into that

hitch.jpg

·
Registered
51 Posts
I got my hitch for my Challenger off a guy on Facebook. I think his name was Big D Customs. I really like it, it's well made and feels solid. I haven't pulled a trailer yet but did run some flags.

@DanJ - I've looked at the Unigo but never seriously considered it because it looks like you wouldn't have any real space. Did you find that was the case?
The trailer holds quite a bit of gear...about 35gal of space so figure a little less than 2/3s of a 55gal oil drum. I work out of town but I can take some pictures this weekend if you'd like to see more

·
Registered
128 Posts
DanJ. . .where did u get the Uni-Go?
i found a guy in TX that sells them. he has a different model called "ThitdWheel" similar to Uni-GO but i think a bigger cargo area. it's rated as 5.5 cu. ft.
but he is a one location shop and not near me. wondering if other Uni-Go dealers carry the same lines.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm new to the trailer game so I'm sure others know more than me. I was in the same position as you... considering a trailer or camper and leaning toward a Lumina XL but really didn't like the appearance. I ended up deciding I really wanted a Bushtec. I had the cash on hand and just kept my eyes peeled for a used one. There's a couple motorcycle trailer groups on FaceBook or just google search every morning. I found my 2016 Bushtec Entourage at a Honda dealer. After everything, it was less than 1/2 price of a new one.

When I picked it up:

What it is now:

I find you & your gorgeous rigs everywhere! You have a great color scheme on both! Thank you for the trailer info you've given me! -jim

1 - 20 of 20 Posts